The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2010, 07:43 AM

Default Best effect for vocal and guitar on Ultrasound DS4

Ultrasound DS4 is only amp that I couldn't find anywhere to try it and I'm wondering if I can get some opinion from many owners on this forum.
I know that some people don't use any effect on acoustic amp (specially on ones with a clear, natural sound) but I like discrete amount of reverb (for vocal) and chorus (for guitar).
On the user's manual for DS4 there is an effect #5 - Chorus/Room 1 (Chorus with Reverb) which is interesting combination. How does it sound for vocal and guitar?
I thought that chorus was mostly guitar effect but I found it could be very useful for vocals too.
What else would be appropriate to use for vocal and guitar on DS4?
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 PM

I have the Ultrasound and I don't use the chorus although I have tried it. The problem is you can't do separate effects on the guitar and vocals. I don't use the chorus because I just like a little bit of reverb on vocal.
You may also like the Roland AC-60 that has separate chorus on each channel and reverb/delay. I haven't heard the chorus but I have heard other Rolands and their chorus is really nice.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 PM

I have the DS4, and like it a lot overall. But honestly, I don't use its on-board effects. Not that they're terrible, it's just that I greatly prefer the reverb I get from separate pedals and/or mixer. Plus, as mutantrock points out, you can't assign the Ultrasound's effects to both channels; it's one or the other.

The specific DS4 effect you asked about (chorus with room) sounded ok to me on guitar, but not so good on voice.

Hope that helps.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification