The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 AM

Default Upgrading UST for a Fishman Stereo PreFix

Ok So I’ve read a bunch of threads and now am rather bewildered with what to do with my Fishman preamp. I don't want any fancy box creating algorithms, I just want my rhythm. I’ve called fishman and I am getting kinda frustrated. They tell me I need a 400 dollar box and I ask why doesn't the onboard mic work that well? It's an acoustic guitar why does it have to be that complicated? Ok, because theres not a lot of iron in our strings. I would love to hotwire a new mic in place of the telephone piezo mic on the barn door. I also would love to upgrade the UST. If anyone could lend some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:03 PM

I feel your pain...the upgrade options for owners of older Taylors with Fishman barndoor electronics are not good. I have a 714ce from 2000 which I really love to play, but the mic in that system is pretty much useless due to feedback. The UST in it is acceptable when EQ'd properly, but not stellar.

B-Band and Baggs both used to make drop-in replacements for the Fishman barndoor systems but they have been discontinued (due to poor sales is what I heard). Fishman now makes an Aura Onboard which is a dropin replacement for the Prefix and would have the advantage of updated preamp circuitry plus the Aura imaging system (which in effect replaces the mic in your Prefix). It is expensive--$400 I think but might be your best option. Taylor's ES retrofit is even more expensive ($500 last time I checked) and I personally hate the sound of the ES. PUTW also makes something called a Quackbuster but in IMHO it is simply a band-aid.

If Baggs came out with a barndoor version of the Anthem, I would get it in a heartbeat. But the next best option is probably the Fishman Aura Onboard if you like the sound of the Aura imaging system. The Aura stuff I've tried has not impressed me, although most people seem to like it. I am probably going to go the route of a DTAR Multisource as I have one installed in my Martin OMJM and it sounds awesome. Check it out because the mic in the Multisource really sounds great and is highly resistant to feedback. Plus the Wavelength UST in the Multisource is about the most natural and quack-free sounding UST out there.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:37 PM

Cool I like it "wavelength"! Yea I know heard a lot of folks covering up the barn door with something. Maybe I should have some one make a mini African Thumb Piano that could fit in its place! If I do that I really want to look into this new Baggs system that is mic based. I heard the DTAR is sick so I should look at that too. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification