The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Looking for opinions: 2 Mackie th15a or fender passport 300?

Hi, as the title says what would you choose? Im currently looking to find a music store with both systems to try them but i would like some input of someone who tried any or both systems live.

The two options im thinking about that fit my budget are:

1 Fender passport pro 300

2 Two mackies th15, 8 channel mackie vlz3 mixer.

The system will be used for an acoustic duo, two voices and a classical guitar. Small places 50-100 people tops. Can i get away with just one mackie th15 for small venues i.e. less than 50 people till i get all my money?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 AM

Hello

I use 2 Mackie TH15A's for my live set-up - mostly me with guitar and vocal, occasionally with another guitar or bongo player. They are amazing for the money! Using one speaker for a small crowd works really well too. I use these into a Yamaha cx-series mixer but they were plugged into a Mackie desk in the shop, a "PROFX8" - this is a tasty desk too

I can't speak of the Passport from long-term experience but from use in the shop I'd say the sound is pretty weak in terms of tone - lacks depth in the bass, similar to the Yamaha stagepass systems...

Taylor
PEDALS/LIVE SOUND: Boss AD-3, Boss TU-3, Boss Super Overdrive, Line 6 POD X3 Live
Old 06-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback, didnt know about that mackie mixer and its almost the same price as the 8 channel vlz3 i was about to buy so i will check it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification