The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Default For what it's worth and FYI

I did a series of gigs over the last three weeks. For many reasons I needed to streamline my rig for these jobs. I brought my guitar, a cord and my SoloAmp forgoing my usual D-Tar Solstice. Because the eq points are very similar on the SoloAmp as opposed to the Solstice I was confident that I could duplicate my usual eq curve and get by.

I re-introduced the Solstice last night and I'm here to testify the difference is massive. The outcome is cleaner, stronger, the tone is much tighter and the eq controls themselves are both more sensitive and smoother. The biggest difference for me however is the touch is better, quicker. For anyone who doubts the merits of a great pre-amp....I'm tellin ya.....give one a try someday.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Joseph,

Thanks for that post. I've been flirting with the idea of buying a Solstice for about a year now. Time to get myself to my dealers' shop and try it out.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Just switched from the Baggs Venue DI to the Solstice and for good measure, the Equinox as well. OUTSTANDING units, both. The clarity and quality is superb. Not "new school" but I tell ya what, they WORK.... GREAT!

Current Hawaiian Lap Steel stuff:
http://www.hsga.org/MitchCrane.htm

The 'big hair' days:
http://www.myspace.com/sydwas
Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 PM

what makes it better than the Baggs Venue. Would you be specific.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 AM

Interesting observation about the touch responsiveness, Joseph. The conventional wisdom is that the fewer the number of gain stages, the better the touch responsiveness.

On the other hand, DTAR makes good gear. No doubt about that.

Gary
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I did a series of gigs over the last three weeks. For many reasons I needed to streamline my rig for these jobs. I brought my guitar, a cord and my SoloAmp forgoing my usual D-Tar Solstice. Because the eq points are very similar on the SoloAmp as opposed to the Solstice I was confident that I could duplicate my usual eq curve and get by.

I re-introduced the Solstice last night and I'm here to testify the difference is massive. The outcome is cleaner, stronger, the tone is much tighter and the eq controls themselves are both more sensitive and smoother. The biggest difference for me however is the touch is better, quicker. For anyone who doubts the merits of a great pre-amp....I'm tellin ya.....give one a try someday.
JH - I also use the SoloAmp and the same experience using a Fishman Platinum unit, except to say, I don't attempt to gig without it, just that it's a "snap" with it. Was wondering if you've had experience with it and could enlighten as to the difference between it and the Solstice? I mean other than the price and Solstice having balanced inputs and two channels, which I wouldn't use as I am using a Harmony G XT pedal for vocals. So many options, so little time.... and $.... thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM

I agree on the Platinum, Pegleg. Its a terrific little preamp for the cost. If it has a fault, its that its a little too complex for some users. Some folks never get around to learning how to use the sweepable mid controls. (I use the plural "controls" because the mid level slider and the mid frequency slider must be used in tandem.)

Its also possible to mess up your high end by using too much of the Platinum's "smooth" control. Last week I noticed that the "smooth" control was set fully clockwise on a friend's Platinum preamp. That's the last thing he needs for his mini-Pure equipped Martin dread. Since he's a light-handed player who doesn't have any quack problem, he'd be best served by leaving the smooth control completely off. Its also best to leave the notch off (fully counterclockwise) unless one is having problems with feedback or excess boominess at some frequency.

Gary
Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I agree on the Platinum, Pegleg. Its a terrific little preamp for the cost. If it has a fault, its that its a little too complex for some users. Some folks never get around to learning how to use the sweepable mid controls. (I use the plural "controls" because the mid level slider and the mid frequency slider must be used in tandem.)

Its also possible to mess up your high end by using too much of the Platinum's "smooth" control. Last week I noticed that the "smooth" control was set fully clockwise on a friend's Platinum preamp. That's the last thing he needs for his mini-Pure equipped Martin dread. Since he's a light-handed player who doesn't have any quack problem, he'd be best served by leaving the smooth control completely off. Its also best to leave the notch off (fully counterclockwise) unless one is having problems with feedback or excess boominess at some frequency.

Gary
Guilty as charged... I set the thing up per the instruction manual for a "strummer" and about all I change is input gain/volume. I honestly can't tell much difference with the "smooth" knob but the notch filter does have to be adjusted to find appropriate tone (to my ears) without feedback. So, I'd be the "some folks" you speak of.... but thanks for the tips, I'm always open to try something new (especially since it ain't going cost me $!)....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification