The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM

Well had to do other work this weekend but hopefully I get the binding channel routed tomorrow. I'll have to pick up some Duco or weld on tomorrow as I've overlooked that step until now and feel like making a solvent based glue by melting the binding in plastic probably isn't the best bet. Got those braces down quite a bit, tapped, pretended I knew what I was looking for, took some more off, repeat, repeat, repeat, was happy with it, and glued the back on. Also built a routing jig (will take pics of the various jigs we've built along the way next time). Flush routed the top and back tonight.

I can hear the difference it made in the tone and sustain comparing mine and my Dad's builds, as they were almost identical up until now. I also have William Cumpianos book btw to use as reference because Alex Willis does some very questionable things.

On a side note: ordered set wood yesterday. Gonna go with a sinker redwood top and these

Last edited by jarfly; 04-10-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 PM

Upside down end graft:? No other choice- fit the aesthetics. Next time I post pics of the guitar it will have binding and purfling in. I will post the pics of all my jigs soon. They're taken just not uploaded yet.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 AM

How are you planing to finish your guitar? I will probably try my hand at French Polishing as I don't have the facilities or equipment to spray a finish.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 AM

Nitro this time around because we already bought it, but I think I'll make the switch to poly early on in my 'career'. I spray cabinets for a living at my real job. Not to say I'm a pro. That's with an airless system and the cup gun should be alot easier at a more relaxed flow of material. I can use the spray booth at my work if I wanted to but my shop at home is adequate enough to spray two guitars I'm sure. Many a set of cabinets have been sprayed here at home as well (w/ a cup gun though).

I hate spraying though. Still don't have the confidence in my skills but I know it'll be fine. Anything by hand is appealing to me but they say the french polish requires a real skill. Thank goodness for the internet's vast resources and instructions though. I'm sure it'll turn out super nice! I applaud you!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 PM

The Soleros we use instead of a mold. A mold would work much better for a bolt on neck which build number 2 will have. It makes much more sense than to do build it like this.

Jig for routing bindings

jig for bending sides similar to the Fox bender but much cheaper

bindings all scraped flush.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 AM

digging the fly soundport
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 PM

hi jarfly, the soundport is one of the most amazing thing i've ever seen on a guitar (you must be an entomologist ), the body is beautiful, nice rosette. but i'm sorry to tell you that i've got a contrary opinion on the bindings...hope you take it friendly, but as a whole it's a beautiful piece of art. good luck with finishing it
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 AM

Ivob, I'd have to agree with you on the binding as well. Never ever again. Being my first one I've made some style mistakes that hopefully don't happen again. Wood bindings from here on out.
Yeah, from the moment I put them on I thought they looked out of place. My only hope is that it looks alright when it's finished. I think someday the celluloid might yellow and age nicely and lose some of that bling factor but we'll see.

The good news is, when I first started this build it was to get a new guitar. Now I want to keep building! And I'm glad I found out at 24 years old!

edit: I really want to bind the wings on that soundport. Anybody have any tips?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:05 AM

I'm waiting with bated breath for the next instalment to see how the fingerboard and installation turned out! I agree with you guys on the binding, is it possible there is some type of aged toner you could use to mellow-yellow that celluloid (same way some companies and builders use aged toner on their tops)? Without having it in my hands I'm guessing it's pretty non-porous so it may not work, but just a thought

1960s Gibson Hummingbird
Regal Black Lightning Resonator
etc.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 AM

I was going to post last night but I forgot to take pics before the caul went on. Here goes nothing- I probably should've polished the board before taking pics but I need more sandpaper. My current selection goes from 150 grit and then up to 1200. I could polish the scratches but... I'll get right to that and take some more pics. Tried out the engraver filler a little bit but I will surely work on it a little more before I call it complete. Pics of my Dad's build too.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:48 PM

i like "nature" motives on guitars very much. in some way i'm a biologist and guitarist in one, so i approve! that guitar with the eagle looks fantastic, hope i you'll send some pics when it is finished
Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks. Yeah, that guitar's got some awesome figure. I'm excited to see it done. I should mention the fly inlay looks much better in life size than in the enlarged photo. After posting pics I kept going back to look at the real thing since the pics make me worried that the engraving won't help much. I'll definitely post finished pics
Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 PM

Lots of work. Lots of heartache. Maybe you saw the hole the quilted maple got poked in it in a recent thread. Here's the fix he decided to do on it and lots of pics of my guitar which got the first coat about 3 hours after the all quilted guitar. I'm really stoked about it!!!

the fix

our bridges: Pau Ferro like the fretboards and the all quilted's bindings.

My guitar:

Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 AM

I now have walnut grain filler done. I'll look it over once more and give it its second coat. Some methods say to seal first and some say to fill pores first. I'm so glad I had a coat of sealer on the guitar since in my carelessness I got some small splashes on the soundboard. I had to coax the spots out with some mineral spirits but all is well in amateurville. I don't think I'd be so fortunate had I not got some sealer on it first. The grain looks really good now. I'll have to shoot some pics next time a coat of sealer is wet. The guitars look really good! The quilted maple is tantalizing!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 PM

my Dad getting the gun ready

i didn't take pics during spraying of mine but look at this!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair