The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
But here's a neat idea:

I installed one of those on my 1942 D-45.

Works great!
Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
Of all the many guitars I have owned, cheapos and quality stuff alike, I would never think of hanging any of them on a wall........
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
...First the warning is valid. But if you buy the right wall hanger and secure it properly you shouldn't have issues.

......INSURE YOUR INSTRUMENTS FOR LOSS AND DAMAGE AT THEIR FULL VALUE. ....It's heart wrenching when your prize instrument has an accident. But that's why they call it an accident- and that's why you carry insurance.
First Tom, sorry for your loss. I know the gut-wrenching feeling of a destroyed instrument.

Next - All this. First leaving your guitars out, I believe, means it is not if but when you have an accident. Whether it's kids, pets, gravity, a clueless roommate, spouse ... something will happen eventually. Next, if you have to hang your instruments on a wall, NEVER hang your instrument from drywall. Mount your hangers into studs which will eliminate the chance of mounting hardware failing.

Then as Vindi said, if you have anything worth more than you can afford to pull from your pocket and replace without concern, have your instruments insured by a policy that includes, no (or minimum) deductible and full replacement and/or damage value loss coverage.

But I can't urge people enough to keep your prized instruments in the cases they came with. That is the purpose for the case - to protect your property.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:28 AM

Paranoia blues?

I have not seen a wall hanger that I wouldn't hang a guitar from. But, I have seen wall hanger DIY attached wall hangers where the weak link was the poor installation on the wall. I've been using them, as do most stores in the world, and my use goes back about 40 years. For me the quality of the average wall hanger is sound so I'm minimally suspicious of a properly installed one breaking under normal conditions.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:46 AM

1) I, too, would like to see (or read a description) of where the wall hanger "broke".

Because...

2) I, too, suspect we are actually talking about a poor mounting issue.

I have the metal String Swings, and they are mounted into a wood wall (pine T&G with 1/2" ply behind that), and I would be willing to bet I will never have a failure.

3) if it was indeed the wall hanger itself that broke, a picture, or description with the brand/model, would likely be greatly appreciated by most people here.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 AM

Additional information - the wall hanger broke. Not where it was screwed to the wall - I made sure to screw the hanger into a stud. the way the hanger is made it has a metal yoke with a slight key at the end. To insert the yoke into the bracket you have to turn it upside down, so that the key on the yoke lines up with a key slot on the bracket. The problem is the part of the bracket this metal yoke slides into is made of plastic. I don't know why, but the round hole somehow got oval-ed out. This left enough room for the shaft of the yoke to slide out, even though it has the small key bump on the end. In hindsight, I guess it was partly my fault for using them w/o doing due diligence first. They were on sale at a very good price last Christmas, and the wife bought them for me as a present. Now I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. I don't expect much, if anything from them though....
Old 06-18-2018, 05:42 AM

No matter how many times you point out that accidents can happen and that guitars come with cases for a reason, the smartest people in the room can always tell you how they’re able to beat the odds.

Lesson learned OP, yours won’t be the last example and hopefully someone can avoid damaging an instrument.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-18-2018, 05:49 AM

I won't say that I'm going to quit using hangers - but I will until I can find some that are solid, basically one piece, and made of steel - no plastic to wear or break. I don't need it to swing, lock, or do any other tricks. Solid.Steel. that's it.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 AM

I think some of us would like to know the brand since many use wall hangers. I can't tell by your description what you are using--but if I'm using the same, I certainly would appreciate knowing I could have potentially the same problem.

Looking at my Hercules, I can't see how the holder would fail, but it's possible I suppose. there are plastic and metal parts combined and I think they are rated at 15lbs max weight.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:20 AM

First, I'm very sorry for your troubles. I can only begin to imagine your pain.

I can't use wall hangers in my climate. But if I did I would never in a million years trust anything going through sheetrock. If you can't put at least 2" #8 screws into a stud I would get a very attractive (maybe 4" wide) piece of hardwood of sufficient length to hold your collection and hit a few studs. Then screw the holder into that.

Does anyone else find it a little strange that we spend hundreds, and in most cases thousands of dollars for our guitars and then fret (sorry) about the price of hangers, picks, capos, etc.?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I think some of us would like to know the brand since many use wall hangers. I can't tell by your description what you are using--but if I'm using the same, I certainly would appreciate knowing I could have potentially the same problem.
Agreed. THAT would be truly helpful.

The ones I use (String Swings), the holder SCREWS INTO the baseplate, so there's no chance of anything "ovaling out" or whatever.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-18-2018, 07:03 AM

Semi-final thoughts, at least until I hear back from the manufacturer -
If you feel the need to know what brand it was, you can PM me. But, if you are that unsure about what you are using, maybe you need to re-evaluate?

When buying - two things. First, does the manufacturer have a website? Can you google the brand name and find out who makes it? If not, don't buy it.
Look at, and read carefully the warranty. Is it a limited, 1 year, or a full coverage lifetime? Do you really want to trust your guitar to a hanger that just has a 1 year limited warranty? If they don't have any more faith in their product than that, why should you trust it?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:28 AM

A picture of a broken wall hanger would be very useful. You can mask the logo of the manufacturer, if you like.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
Seriously? I have hung guitars on the wall for decades. Not once has a hanger failed or a guitar been otherwise damaged because it was hanging on the wall. Floor stands, a different story.
This. Includes heavy electrics. Look at all the guitars hanging is STORES.
Just a matter of good hanger and good installation.

Lee
Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 AM

I am not totally certain, but I believe that every guitar shop I have ever visited had guitars hanging on the wall. For whatever that's worth. I've never really thought about it, but I have some guitars hanging via the Hercules wall hanger, and they seem to be happy about it. On the other hand, my McKnight is either in my hands or in its case. I think that is more of a cautious approach to humidity issues than a fear of falling though. Ziricote is a great tonewood, just not one I would want to chance drying out.

cotten
Old 06-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Truly sorry to hear about your guitar. I know it would be heart breaking thing for me also. I use this system http://diamondlifegear.com/guitar_ha...7CHanger%7CBMM .. They've been hanging for years with no issuses….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion