The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 06:03 AM

This thread is about a high durability string with a good tone. If you never break strings, start your own thread with a title like "I am a super duper dude who does not break strings because I am amazing". Then you can discuss how fabulous you are at length with others who love you. John Martyn regularly broke strings. I guess he should have studied with you as well!

What impressed me most about them is how they hold their punch even after a month of hard gigging. I have never had strings that held that percussive edge over time before. I used to do a string change before every gig. Elixirs broke as regularly as the Martins, but cost a fair bit to replace. So I swapped to cheap Martins. Elixirs never held their tone after 3-4 gigs in hot weather. The EB do.

Their coating technology seems to be superior to Elixirs. I am curious to see just how long I can ride this one set before I bust a string or lose tone. So far, its going on 6 weeks now in summer season. These are really a breakthrough tech.

Last edited by Davis Webb; 06-18-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Consider trying the EB Aluminum Bronze for “less harsh” conditions.
Best of PB and 80/20’s.
I have tried (and do like) the EB Aluminum bronze strings on my cedar/rosewood guitar. Takes a few days for them to settle into their tone, but then I like the way they sound. But overall, I prefer the 80/20 Paradigms on that guitar. On my carbon fiber RainSong, The Aluminum Bronze strings are way too "jangly."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I've 'got out of my house and performed live' solo and in bands since 1962, and I'm still doing it. I haven't broken a string while playing - at home or at a gig - for at least the past twenty years (in fact it's been so long I can't remember the last time it happened).

Technique and regular string-changes are the best forms of break-prevention.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
I've always believed it had mostly do to with playing style. I play 100% fingerstyle, never broken a string (while playing). If you play aggressively with a pick and do a lot of string bending, I would imagine you'd break a fair number of (regular) strings.

I do have one observation about the Paradigm strings. I think my finger chemistry is a little hard on strings--not super hard, but a little more corrosive than average. After a few weeks, I see some discoloration on my strings where my fingers press most often. That led me to change my first couple of sets of Paradigms too early, thinking they were going bad. When I paid attention to my ears instead of my eyes, I noticed that they still sounded great. Even after noticeable discoloration, they still have lots and lots of life left in them.

Of course that's my fingers. Yours may not discolor them at all.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:58 PM

I've never tried Ernie Ball acoustic strings because I've always been afraid of that .044 gauge A string... what the heck is up with that??
Old 06-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Paradigms

I love the Paradigms on my PRS HB ll. I guess I'll have to give them a shot on the Goodall and Char. Always liked Pearse on my acoustics but it would be great to find some that last as long as the Elixirs without the dullness that overtakes them after a short time.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I have tried (and do like) the EB Aluminum bronze strings on my cedar/rosewood guitar. Takes a few days for them to settle into their tone, but then I like the way they sound. But overall, I prefer the 80/20 Paradigms on that guitar. On my carbon fiber RainSong, The Aluminum Bronze strings are way too "jangly."

I've always believed it had mostly do to with playing style. I play 100% fingerstyle, never broken a string (while playing). If you play aggressively with a pick and do a lot of string bending, I would imagine you'd break a fair number of (regular) strings.

I do have one observation about the Paradigm strings. I think my finger chemistry is a little hard on strings--not super hard, but a little more corrosive than average. After a few weeks, I see some discoloration on my strings where my fingers press most often. That led me to change my first couple of sets of Paradigms too early, thinking they were going bad. When I paid attention to my ears instead of my eyes, I noticed that they still sounded great. Even after noticeable discoloration, they still have lots and lots of life left in them.

Of course that's my fingers. Yours may not discolor them at all.
Discoloration is not affecting sound, I agree. Playstyle is hard hammering on the bridge for a back beat, with chords and soloing between. All winter I break nothing, no matter what I do. Its my Annie de Franco playing in summer that causes breaks. Rest of the year...strings last forever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion