The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Recording progress ...

I think its progress.

Current recording:

Previous recording:

The master, Al Petteway:

Visually here is the new track compared to AP's (mine is on top). As you can see there's more "beef" to my previous recording screenshot:

Old screen shot. Again, mine is on top:

Also, I made a makeshift recording "booth." I don't think it was high enough to make a huge difference, but a little anyway. I have an idea how to make a booth using corner poles, three of those bathtub curtain rods that expand and two or three blankets/throws and a lot of duct tape,

Here is what I used today. Yeah I know, I need to get out more. The Zoom H5 was on a small tripod inside of the "sound proof" box on the right. One thing I noticed is that I didn't have to use "noise reduction" in Audacity.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 06-16-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Yep, new one sounds compressed. Prefer the original. Also if you are still panning towards center then try not doing so.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Yep, new one sounds compressed. Prefer the original. Also if you are still panning towards center then try not doing so.
I took your advice and panned hard left and right. I like the compressed version better, but I can do it without as well and it still sounds better to my ears. Thanks for your help Rick. I think the trebles have a little more fatter sound, closer to AP's than my original version.

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Don't know what gear choices you have, but ideally it would be nice to have a couple of separate mikes and do spaced pair setups (rather than the Zoom's XY). Ditch the little isolation box - too close to mikes. Post a raw recording as well as one with the best tweaks you come up with for that recording.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't know what gear choices you have, but ideally it would be nice to have a couple of separate mikes and do spaced pair setups (rather than the Zoom's XY). Ditch the little isolation box - too close to mikes. Post a raw recording as well as one with the best tweaks you come up with for that recording.
I'll try that tomorrow, thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-16-2018, 03:04 PM

I think that whilst the extra gain improves the impression of the second version, that the compression kills the dynamics too much.

I agree with Derek that separate mics in a spaced pair setup are far superior to my ears than the Zoom internal mics.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I think that whilst the extra gain improves the impression of the second version, that the compression kills the dynamics too much.

I agree with Derek that separate mics in a spaced pair setup are far superior to my ears than the Zoom internal mics.
Thanks Peter. I try the mics and see what happens. Probably not tomorrow after all as I have to start prepping many of our rooms for the painter. I'd like to make that portable sound proof booth too, but it'll have to wait until the improvements are all done.

But here is a comparison of the one I did above without and with compression. I can hear a difference. I think you and Rick are right, no compression has the edge.

No Compression:

Compression:

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 06-16-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

It sounds better without the compression to me (compression has to be very gentle, and a high quality compressor, so it's transparent, to work). It's still a somewhat harsh sound. Probably room acoustics. Or mics, if these are the Zoom built-in mics.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks Peter. I try the mics and see what happens. Probably not tomorrow after all as I have to start prepping many of our rooms for the painter. I'd like to make that portable sound proof booth too, but it'll have to wait until the improvements are all done.

But here is a comparison of the one I did above without and with compression. I can hear a difference. I think you and Rick are right, no compression has the edge.

No Compression:

Compression:

Barry - I use a couple of large acoustic panels I got second hand from a studio that wasn’t using them anymore. They are about 120cm square so a bit unwieldy, but I place them in a V shape with the apex behind the mics so they form a sort of protective shelter at the sides and rear of the mics (Fran Guidry has a great video of this concept on his site which is where I got the idea) I find this neutralises the room much better.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Barry - I use a couple of large acoustic panels I got second hand from a studio that wasn’t using them anymore. They are about 120cm square so a bit unwieldy, but I place them in a V shape with the apex behind the mics so they form a sort of protective shelter at the sides and rear of the mics (Fran Guidry has a great video of this concept on his site which is where I got the idea) I find this neutralises the room much better.
My planned design is a few shower curtain rods, something built as corner posts to mount the curtain rods on and those $20 "throws" we can buy here at Bed Bath and Beyond (we get 20% off coupons too, lol)

I plan on making the posts around 5 to 6 feet high and the whole thing will be able to be taken apart quickly and the blankets rolled around the curtain rods for storage. I will test my smaller temporary "booth" with mics next chance I get. I'm curious if this will help tame my Rodes NT-5. I wonder if there are other mics available for the H5 that are a bit better. I like the convenience of not setting up external mics.

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 06-17-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Throws (blankets) won't be very effective. You need broader band frequency absorption. If there is ambient noise then take care of it at its source.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I built a half dozen gobos. They are framed, open back, and have hinges for orienting in different arrangements and disassembly. They are 2’ x 5’, 4”’thick, and use roxul rockboard 80, which is a broad band absorber. My purpose is to deaden a poor recording space. They are big and heavy but can be moved around and somewhat stored away when not needed.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Throws (blankets) won't be very effective. You need broader band frequency absorption. If there is ambient noise then take care of it at its source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I built a half dozen gobos. They are framed, open back, and have hinges for orienting in different arrangements and disassembly. They are 2’ x 5’, 4”’thick, and use roxul rockboard 80, which is a broad band absorber. My purpose is to deaden a poor recording space. They are big and heavy but can be moved around and somewhat stored away when not needed.
Ok thanks I'll remember this. I can't start this project now, but I'll look into the materials and see what I can find and then design something that can be set up /taken down and stored conveniently. Otherwise I'll just put a brown paper bag over my head and pretend it all sounds good,

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-17-2018, 10:51 AM

About the compression... I hear it, too. I like it in general. I say "in general" because it tends to shine a light on the less-clean moments in your playing. With really tidy playing that degree of compression would be really nice.

Also, compression is an area where you have to think about who you want to please. Is it the guys who are going to put your recordings under a microscope? Or the kind of folks who think a compressor goes with an impact wrench and dig the guitar playing on Suite Judy Blue Eyes? Or is it simply yourself?

Couch Standards
Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
My planned design is a few shower curtain rods, something built as corner posts to mount the curtain rods on and those $20 "throws" we can buy here at Bed Bath and Beyond (we get 20% off coupons too, lol)

I plan on making the posts around 5 to 6 feet high and the whole thing will be able to be taken apart quickly and the blankets rolled around the curtain rods for storage. I will test my smaller temporary "booth" with mics next chance I get. I'm curious if this will help tame my Rodes NT-5. I wonder if there are other mics available for the H5 that are a bit better. I like the convenience of not setting up external mics.

I keep my AT 2020’s set up on small stands and just move them into place and plug in - no trouble

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD