The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitare Centre website

In trying to find info to respond to the query about buying a new Gibsno J45, I googled GC's website (Yes I spelt it the American way)

It was impossible to find any Gibson guitars either by putting Gibson J45 in the search box or by gig through the drop downs - Guitars- Acoustics guitars - Gibson - nothing but ads for electric stuff.

Thankfully we don't have chain stores like GC in the UK - sure we have a couple of businesses that have stores in various towns. but nothing like GC.

I'm not at all sure that I would be happy buying a personal thing like an acoustic guitar from a box shifting organisation with a website that only shows you what they want to sell and refuses to allow specific searches.

Have I missed something?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:10 AM

Then you need to buy somewhere else. That is the way they operate.

I have heard from time to time that an employed will go and check out a certain guitar but that is not the usual way they do business.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:26 AM

Googling "J45 guitar guitar center" will give you a link to the part of their site they're listed...
Old 06-16-2018, 05:34 AM

I went to the GC website and searched both the ways you mentioned. I had no trouble seeing 50 Gibson J45’s to choose from. Not sure what was going on, but it seems to work fine now.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 06-16-2018, 05:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Perhaps the '40s-60s musical instrument embargo is back on? Gonna have to get a star to bring you one back? Get a Burns Bison or a Hoffner.

I don't know why that came to mind, but so many of my guitar influences (who are from England) survived that and talk about it to this day. Interesting piece of history.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-16-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In trying to find info to respond to the query about buying a new Gibsno J45, I googled GC's website (Yes I spelt it the American way)

It was impossible to find any Gibson guitars either by putting Gibson J45 in the search box or by gig through the drop downs - Guitars- Acoustics guitars - Gibson - nothing but ads for electric stuff.

Thankfully we don't have chain stores like GC in the UK - sure we have a couple of businesses that have stores in various towns. but nothing like GC.

I'm not at all sure that I would be happy buying a personal thing like an acoustic guitar from a box shifting organisation with a website that only shows you what they want to sell and refuses to allow specific searches.

Have I missed something?
I was in Germany last week and was unable to access the Guitar Center website. No problem when I got back to the states.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:26 AM

No you are not missing anything, and while they seem to have better selections than I have seen in the past in store, I would never order from them without seeing - I don't have much confidence in their actually knowing or inspecting - they just sell as is.

And may do a terrible job of packing - I had one experience with them recently where they just passed on a box that I think arrived at their facility damaged. If they received the guitar in a damaged box they might send it on like that and then you will have to bear with inconvenience and expense to pack it and return it if you want to.

Harriet
Old 06-16-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
I went to the GC website and searched both the ways you mentioned. I had no trouble seeing 50 Gibson J45’s to choose from. Not sure what was going on, but it seems to work fine now.
Me 2. Just did it. No problem finding them
Old 06-16-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
Googling "J45 guitar guitar center" will give you a link to the part of their site they're listed...
I just did just that. All I got was a long page full of cheap electrics.

Obviously I wold not buy anything from them - as there are plenty of places , well less than there was, that sell gibson guitars in the UK., but the search facility is inoperative on their site.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:44 AM

I would suggest that GC is not for you. It is as simple as that.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 06-16-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: AGF Rule #1
Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Obviously I wold not buy anything from them - as there are plenty of places , well less than there was, that sell gibson guitars in the UK., but the search facility is inoperative on their site.
I don't think they would sell to you even if you asked. I'm guessing people in areas where they do not sell Gibsons (by policy / dealer agreement) are blocked from seeing their Gibson inventory.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-16-2018, 08:17 AM

Don't know if it's the same over there as it is in Canada but some dealers notice that you are not in the States and won't ship to you readily. For pricing I go to the area which says-"change location" and click on U.S. and American dollars and they'll give you their pricing that way.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:05 AM

It’s because you/we are located in the U.K. and the website recognises that.

I certainly experienced some very odd behaviour from the website!

However, you can change country within their website, but the U.K. is not on the available options under Europe. If you choose Jersey or Guernsey you will still find no search results for Gibson., but he site behaves more predictably. If you change country to USA then you will be able to see about five J45 variants, and the site is fine.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:43 AM

It's 100% fine:

It's just your country.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Silly, if you have no intention or desire to purchase from Guitar Center why not just go to the Gibson site and look at all the J-45s available there? They probably saw you missspelled their name and blocked to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion