The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-12-2018, 10:33 AM

You can compress without making the waveform a rectangle.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
You can compress without making the waveform a rectangle.
Approaching that shape would be more like a limiter rather than a lower compression ratio. However when you have peaks 15 and more
decibels above the average level you would expect to see something. However the waveform time line would need to be magnified compared
to what was posted to see better the details.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Approaching that shape would be more like a limiter rather than a lower compression ratio.

Yep. And that’s why my response was this:

Quote:
Gotcha. Run your mix through a compressor/limiter to up the gain and your waveform will be a lot closer.

That track has almost certainly had some form of compression/limiting applied in the mastering process. It’s not just a matter of gaining it up.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep. And that’s why my response was this:

That track has almost certainly had some form of compression/limiting applied in the mastering process. It’s not just a matter of gaining it up.
Compression, if use at all, was quite mild and not a player in why the two recordings sound so different.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Ok.

Now I have to add more characters in order to post.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 AM

You probably already know this, but other than your guitar, playing, room, I think the mics and especially mic placement will have the greatest impact on your recordings.

It can be time consuming but well worth the effort in IMO.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

This will be a challenge. Thanks everyone.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This will be a challenge. Thanks everyone.
I appreciate all that, too. Thanks, guys.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 PM

I’ve just listened to the Al Petteway “Parting Glass” track two or three times. It’s an extraordinary recording (as well as extraordinary playing) and clearly has been professionally mastered. That recording is a great goal to set ones sights on to be sure. That track (and tone) rival some of the Tony McManus stuff I love so much.

Like the Tony McManus stuff (maybe not quite as much) there is a whole bunch of lower mid tonality. I love that sound where the highs seem to emerge from the mids. My absolute favorite acoustic guitar sound. In this case I suspect it’s the player, guitar, room, mic and mic placement that accounts for the beefier “look” of the wave form although who knows without an a to b audio comparison. From there the sophistication of current mastering software could also play a role.

Either which way a beautiful recording.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Barry, BTW your recording is virtually mono. So you either recorded XY or you panned (accidently?) R and L towards center. That will kill the sound right there.

The Petteway recording sound stage is spread out. I assume the Petteway recording was grabbed off of youtube. There is some distortion in his recording (for example at 7 seconds) (probably overs or perhaps something youtube did).

Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 PM

Also..after listening a few more times it’s interesting that the “body” sound is a bit heavier (louder) than the “neck” sound. It’s slightly off balance to me but somehow really cool as well. I do think that helps with the emerging high’s from the mid feel.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Barry, BTW your recording is virtually mono. So you either recorded XY or you panned (accidently?) R and L towards center. That will kill the sound right there.

The Petteway recording sound stage is spread out. I assume the Petteway recording was grabbed off of youtube. There is some distortion in his recording (for example at 7 seconds) (probably overs or perhaps something youtube did).
It seems to be the one off his CD to me. I hear what you're talking about at 7 seconds, but there's no over there, those notes are down 2 db. Might be something that got overdriven in intermediate stages. Definitely a wide sound-stage, sounds like spaced pairs to me. Al has no recording info on the CD.

Off-topic: Joseph, you seem to have good taste in guitar tone :-) With your recording expertise, I'm curious what solo guitar tracks you would vote as great examples? I have my favorites, but I'm always looking for good reference tracks. Any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
It seems to be the one off his CD to me. I hear what you're talking about at 7 seconds, but there's no over there, those notes are down 2 db. Might be something that got overdriven in intermediate stages. Definitely a wide sound-stage, sounds like spaced pairs to me. Al has no recording info on the CD.
Something was over its limits so distortion from something. Could be at the mike preamp stage. Occurs at various places. Some of the treble notes have a bit of a harsh shimmer. However being quite picky. Very nice overall.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 PM

Default Comparing home recording to professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
It seems to be the one off his CD to me. I hear what you're talking about at 7 seconds, but there's no over there, those notes are down 2 db. Might be something that got overdriven in intermediate stages.

Is that actually distortion/saturation? It sounds like a weird dissonant interaction between two notes to me, but I’m sitting outside an airport listening on my iPhone earbuds. It’s definitely the kind of thing I’d loop in logic and get all OCD on it, though.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that actually distortion/saturation? It sounds like a weird dissonant interaction between two notes to me, but I’m sitting outside an airport listening on my iPhone earbuds. It’s definitely the kind of thing I’d loop in logic and get all OCD on it, though.
Yeah, my first thought was that it was a guitar "growl" :-) I'd have never noticed it if rick didn't point it out tho.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD