The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-26-2017, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Default I'd like this: do they make it for live sound?

I'd like a powered PA with sweepable mids, and assignable FX's to each channel. Only need 8 channels or so. Not for a giant club but a large home studio and smaller outside gigs.

or a

Mixer (like a QSC Touchmix) that controls the volume of the power amp or the powered speakers remotely or from the console.

or

something that links via iPad or tablet that controls the separate channel volumes as well as master.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Touchmix, but I'd also have to buy a power amp or scrap my speakers and get powered speakers. So do they make something like I'm looking for?
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 AM

I think you should get the TouchMix 8 or 16 while it is on sale this weekend and includes a $50 rebate. :-) Yes, you'll need a power amp for your current passive speakers. Not a big deal. Better yet, get new powered speakers.

As far as I am aware, these is no analog system, with built in power amp, that offers the digital features you're looking for. My view on PA systems, today, is that the mixer is the brains and heart of the system. Once you get one that you really like, you can attach it to any set of reinforcement speakers and tune the system appropriately. Most of the quality of the sound will come from knowing how to mix properly. The TouchMix is unique from other digital mixers in that it includes default presets that are designed for musicians to use, not sound engineers. I tried the Behringer XR12, which is an excellent product. But, there were no presets and the learning curve was steep. There is little or no learning curve with the QSC. You can get a great mix in the first 15 minutes.

However, it might also be a good time to consider new quality powered speakers, or a powered line array system. Most quality powered speakers, or integrated compact line array systems, will sound great. I think the speakers are the tail wagging the dog.

Also, it works swimmingly with an external iPad interface. But, once you get used to the console, I suspect you'll prefer it to the iPad.

Tell us about the rooms and crowds you plays for, as well as your ensemble.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-26-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

This is my studio. The PA speakers swing into the open window and point outside too and we play out in the yard for people who rent our place for parties, weddings, etc. We also set up on an outside patio to the left of this room with the PA outside.

The line array stuff I already have at our place in Mexico with a mixer there. I don't "need" the level of sound there I like to have here at our house.

2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM

That's very helpful. That looks like (2) 8" Yamaha 2-way cabinets on swivel pole mounts. I still think the Touchmix and two QSC K8.2's would work, if that's a financial possibility.

Otherwise, the QSC TouchMix8 and something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU3000
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That's very helpful. That looks like (2) 8" Yamaha 2-way cabinets on swivel pole mounts. I still think the Touchmix and two QSC K8.2's would work, if that's a financial possibility.

Otherwise, the QSC TouchMix8 and something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU3000

You think going the new Behringer high power route is better than a used QSC amp with about half the supposed power?
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
You think going the new Behringer high power route is better than a used QSC amp with about half the supposed power?

Class D power is sort of funny. The RMS is half he stated peak. It's just a matter of cost, weight and energy efficiency. I would buy new with a warranty. I always get a bit weary buying other people used road gear. Go with the best deal you can. You have small speakers. You just need to match wattage and ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Class D power is sort of funny. The RMS is half he stated peak. It's just a matter of cost, weight and energy efficiency. I would buy new with a warranty. I always get a bit weary buying other people used road gear. Go with the best deal you can. You have small speakers. You just need to match wattage and ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OK, Touchmix 8 is on the way. My buddy get's great deals at Parts Express, I'll pick up the Behringer there with him.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
OK, Touchmix 8 is on the way. My buddy get's great deals at Parts Express, I'll pick up the Behringer there with him.
Cool! Make sure you jot down your speaker's specs and talk with someone who understands power amps before the buy. There might be something at a lower cost that is a better fit.

Here is the data for the Behringer.

Watts/Side @ 8 ohms 440W/side @ 8 ohms
Watts/Side @ 4 ohms 880W/side @ 4 ohms
Watts/Side @ 2 ohms 1500W/side @ 2 ohms

You'll want these numbers to be about twice your speaker's program rated wattage at the respective impedance. I can't tell for sure, but I looks like your speakers would be rated for 250 watts program at 8 ohms, so this amplifier should work very well. Just confirm before you buy.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/po...uide/#matching

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-26-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Puerto, I hope you enjoy the TM. I'm looking forward to mine. You probably know this, but just in case, be aware that QSC is releasing a significant firmware update on June 6. Bunch of new features. Nice looking space you have there!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:29 PM

You should still be able to use your powered mixer as an amp for your Yamahas. I can't tell the brand from the photo, but almost all such devices have an option to connect an outboard mixer to the amp section.

The outputs from a TouchMix should connect through the "power amp in" jacks on the powered mixer. If there are no dedicated amp inputs you could CAREFULLY connect the TouchMix via the line level inputs of two channels. All you have to do is watch your input levels and bring the channels up as needed, the mains as well.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 05-26-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
You should still be able to use your powered mixer as an amp for your Yamahas. I can't tell the brand from the photo, but almost all such devices have an option to connect an outboard mixer to the amp section.

The outputs from a TouchMix should connect through the "power amp in" jacks on the powered mixer. If there are no dedicated amp inputs you could CAREFULLY connect the TouchMix via the line level inputs of two channels. All you have to do is watch your input levels and bring the channels up as needed, the mains as well.

You're probably right, I forgot all about that. Too late though, new amp is on the way. I love the speakers, but have never been too impressed with this Yamaha 312 PA. It had to go.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification