The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 02:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
HA! I play the exact same pick and have for 40 years. I handed it to a friend once at a guitar gathering and he tried it for possibly 10 seconds and gave it back because he could not hold it. LOL

Recently I have found two old picks in my Mother-in-laws home as we are cleaning it out, they are the best sounding picks I have now!!! Don't know what they are or how old they are, but they are great. Ironically, no one knows anyone in the family that ever played a stringed instrument!
Tom, without seeing a photo, my guess would be genuine tortoise shell. Up till the mid-seventies this had been the material of choice for millennia. However, starting about a hundred years ago with the advent of celluloid, the "tortoise" design has been the most copied style in the industry, regardless of the material. Some are so close, it's really hard to tell fake from the real thing.

They vary quite a bit in appearance, so you see a spectrum, as below:

One word of caution: If there ARE the genuine article, treat them delicately. They don't liked to be flex and, like any plastic, become more brittle with age. Also, if they are slightly scooped or "dished out" this is a very good indication that they may be the real thing. And tonally, if they sound and feel better than anything you've ever played, that's the best confirmation yet.

Thanks for your post,
scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 06-18-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:47 PM

i use whatever pick works best with the song i'm playing as well as the guitar i'm playing and whether or not i'm singing. too limiting otherwise.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM

I've been liking the pickboy cellulose picks a lot lately.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Recently underwent a pick evolution and have landed on Ultex 1.14. I like 'em so much I bought a 72 pack.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Fender premium Medium celluloids for me. The glossy finish just feels right in my hand and they glide across the strings so smoothly.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Blue Chip 50's for me. Hybrid picking that provides dramatic warm tone and output. Makes cheap acoustics sound like they have twice the tone.

For strumming I like Scott's .73 and Star green picks with the star cutout. Your recommendation would probably fall into this category, good ol' rhythm guitar strumming. Sounds good I might try one on my next order?

For electric shredding I love the fat bevelled Wolfram. Super accurate and Very dramatic dynamic range. For those times you want to sound like the proverbial mosquito trapped in the screen door, 128th notes.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 PM

Opinions on guitar picks are as varied as the people responding to this post. You just need to try a bunch out until you find something you like. Like strings, everyone has the ones they like.....

For me, Dunlop Ultex .73 large triangle size is one of my favorites, along with the Clayton Acetal large triangle .73's, .88's, and 1.00's.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 06-19-2018, 04:20 AM

Blue Chip Jazz 35 most of the time for the past several years. It’s brighter than a Dunlop Jazz III but not as bright as a Tortex type pick. It produces a full sound, gives great control, and has a greater volume-to-atrack ratio than Tortex. It’s a little small and “muted” for all-out strumming, but great for jazzy flat picking and general picky-strummy stuff. It’s pricey at $35 a pick, though. Wish I could find something I like as well for less money.
Taylor 562ce 12-string

Last edited by rwhitney; 06-19-2018 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Recently underwent a pick evolution and have landed on Ultex 1.14. I like 'em so much I bought a 72 pack.
Either that, or one BC for the same price.

sm
Old 06-20-2018, 06:27 AM

My favorite is the Wegen Twins 3.5. Beveled edge. Grip. Scoop for my thumb. It’s just an all around perfect fit for me. Never wears down either. Or, it takes years, anyway.

I’ve yet to find a better deal.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
My favorite is the Wegen Twins 3.5. Beveled edge. Grip. Scoop for my thumb. It’s just an all around perfect fit for me. Never wears down either. Or, it takes years, anyway.

I’ve yet to find a better deal.
I like the Wegen like a lot and always tell folks they should give them a try. Excellent value and good players. Dunlop Primetones are cool too.

BTW, in case someone wonders why the Wegens perform quite well, it's pretty simple, actually.

If notice the striations in the material on the large tris and Bluegrassers. The reason those are there is because Wegen machines their picks out of solid sheets extruded by ther manufacturer. These sheets are produced under tremendous heat and pressure.

Almost every mainstream pick in the world is made using something called injection molding, primarily using celluloid. It's the same way they make plastic cups, buttons and combs, egg crates, etc. It is impossible in injection molding to create the mechanical properties inherent in a extruded solid shape. Ain't gonna happen. So that, in short, is why Wegen picks kick it over most of the stuff out there.

One other thing: Some of you have heard about the price of Blue Chip picks and scoffed -- but trust me, they ain't gettin' rich. I honestly think they do it for the love of doing it, not the little money they make. The DuPont material they use is one of the most expensive and indestructible plastics on the planet. Price? $1100 for a square 10" x 10" x .25". Do the math. Why do so many people love them? The extruded sheet they are cut from, made by DuPont, is extruded under extreme high pressure at over 1000 degrees F. These kinds of plastics -- known as engineering thermoset plastics -- are used in heavy industry where material failure is not an option. THAT's why they rock.

But here's the beautiful part. There are more than a hundred (100) engineering thermoplastics that have never been made into guitar picks by anyone on the planet. That's actually a conservative number. So we're just at the start of this thing. It is SUCH an exciting time to be an acoustic guitar player.

Sorry to babble on. I've learned so much the last three years and I get a little too excited sometimes. I LOVE doing research and learning new things; it keeps me young and preserves my youthful good lucks.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 06-22-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:39 PM

No, it's not babbling Scott, it's interesting. Keep learning more and passing that knowledge along to the rest of us.

whm
Old 06-22-2018, 03:49 PM

Scott,
Do most of these unused thermoplastics cost $1100 for a square 10" x 10" x .25?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:53 PM

good for you to use at least a variety of thicknesses. i choose my pick based upon the guitar i'm playing, the song i'm working on and whether or not i'm singing.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-22-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
good for you to use at least a variety of thicknesses. i choose my pick based upon the guitar i'm playing, the song i'm working on and whether or not i'm singing.

play music!
Picks are our brushes, with which we create our sonic landscapes... have many brushes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion