The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Default General EQing advices for M80 in a Martin Guitar

Hi There, folks!

I'm starting to play at a few places, and I now have a Martin HD28 with a M80. For tone shaping, I have a LR Baggs Para DI and a QSC Touchmix 8, and the signal goes to a QSC K10.2.

I know that tonewise, the eq is very subjetive. But just want to know if you guys have any tips for me. I'm a total newbie into eq.

Thank you very much!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 PM

I'm using a Martin D-41 with a M80 and have been pleasantly surprised at how little EQ adjustments I've had to make. LR Baggs himself said in a video I watched that they voiced the M80 a little differently from the M1A that will sound good with most guitars without using any EQ (low/mid/high set at 0).

I'm using 3 different setups depending on the gig.

1) Guitar direct into Fishman Loudbox Artist

2) Guitar into Boss VE-8 (vocal & acoustic effects, looper), then stereo out to Fishman Loudbox AND Electro-Voice 1000w 12" Powered speaker.

3) Guitar into Fishman Loudbox, DI out to EV Powered speaker

Just my opinion, but the M80 seems to respond better (sound wise) to adjusting the polepiece height rather than EQ.

I usually keep the EQ flat across the board, but occasionally cut just a hair off the lows depending on the room. Since I've switched to the M80 from the K&K passive (pure mini) I don't get that low-end woof sound anymore, and no more feedback. I'm very happy with my tone now. Try experimenting with pole height at a flat EQ setting then go from there.
1980 Martin D41
2001 Gibson J-150
2021 Gibson J-150 Noel Gallagher
Old 09-19-2018, 02:13 AM

I have a old d28s with an m80. I generally cut the mids around 700 hz.
Boost the highs and cut the lows below 180. Ymmv.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
equalization, m80, martin, martin hd-28, touchmix