The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-17-2018, 04:51 AM

Default How Far Away Is Your Cell When You Sleep ?

Several months ago my back went "out" and I couldn't get to my phone very well when an emergency call came in at 1:00 a.m. We have a family member with medical issues and need to be on call, if you will.

I moved the charger setup to my headboard.

Now I'm wondering about it being too close to me during sleep.

What say you ?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-17-2018, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Just across the landing. My cell ? well my wife calls it my office, and puts on a face when I call it myb cell - it's the smallest bedroom.

Oh, you mean "field telephones"?

Strange, I know but we mainly use our land line. I have BT Call guardian phones so we don't get nuisance calls, and we have a hand set in each room.

my wife has a non smart mobile which she uses for texting, and I haver an "ex" smart phone" that is usually in my "cell" switched off or in my car. With the "smart" nonsense disabled the battery lasts for months.

All my charging devices are in my "cell".
Old 09-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Murphy - the jury is very much out here, BUT, if there was a real clear connection between cellphones and brain cancers, you'd see a massive increase in the number of cases occurring. Also note that brain cells do not turn over rapidly, which makes them less subject to changes from radiation.

That being said, if it were me, I would place the phone about three to six feet away from my body. They do emit radio frequencies and continual exposure IMO, is not a good idea.

I hope that your middle of the night calls are few or non-existent.

best,

Rick
Old 09-17-2018, 05:47 AM

Always within reach because it's where a wide array of alarms go off relative to managing the technology in an enterprise that never closes. If not alarms from devices or systems, there are calls from staff with issues.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:55 AM

I don't use mine much and a lot of the time the best I can say is "It's probably in the house somewhere".

But, I would have no concerns over having it right next to my bed if I needed it to be available. Mobile phones transmit very little when idle, just the very occasional chirp to the network to say "I'm still here". They are constantly monitoring for incoming signals (unless in airplane mode) but not transmitting.

Compare and contrast that, however, with the constant bombardment, in urban areas at least, of radio signals from phone network masts and WiFi sources that are beyond our control as individuals then it's apparent that we are being soaked in radio transmissions whether we like it or not. If that's a problem for someone then the only real option is to move to somewhere in the countryside (or build a Faraday cage around their house).
Old 09-17-2018, 05:59 AM

I may have the Maytag repairman of cell phones .
I almost never have it with me and refuse to use it to compensate for the incompetence of others .
I call it a PTD , Personal Tracking Device .
It is mainly used for outgoing calls .
When I sleep , it is typically at the other end of the house , where it belongs when I sleep .
If I were in a business with people under me , aside of the regular scheduled events , I would strive to hire people that are good enough at their jobs to not need to contact me unless it were of the utmost importance nor would I hamstring them . In other words , I would do my best to hire the best that I could find and then let them do their job/s . This constant and unnecessary micro-managing that seems so pervasive today can be very destructive from the inside where so many forget or never learned to keep a watchful eye .
Old 09-17-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I may have the Maytag repairman of cell phones .
I almost never have it with me and refuse to use it to compensate for the incompetence of others .
I call it a PTD , Personal Tracking Device .
It is mainly used for outgoing calls .
When I sleep , it is typically at the other end of the house , where it belongs when I sleep .
If I were in a business with people under me , aside of the regular scheduled events , I would strive to hire people that are good enough at their jobs to not need to contact me unless it were of the utmost importance nor would I hamstring them . In other words , I would do my best to hire the best that I could find and then let them do their job/s . This constant and unnecessary micro-managing that seems so pervasive today can be very destructive from the inside where so many forget or never learned to keep a watchful eye .
I think you're pretty far off track now and might have an incomplete understanding of a lot of business these days.

Where I work the 4th generation family owned business has been competing with the giants and other regional chains in a slice of time when similar competitors have sold out or closed their doors. You need to do the management style that works for the firm overall and also for the specific locations and jobs.

Managing people is varied techniques job when they come from different labor pools. Our college bound and in college part-time help is a lot different than the did not or barely graduated high school help. Moving up the ladder, managing college graduates with professional degrees is a lot different than managing people with less formal education. Over and over I see location directors have to use very different techniques based on their surroundings and their own ways as leaders.

Finally, the mobile technology isn't just there for my alarms related to infrastructure. Modern chat-based applications (Microsoft Teams in our case) does a lot to give people some sleep, sanity and productivity. It's really cool when you realize people 85 miles apart are working out problems.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:33 AM

I keep mine on the bedside table. I don't see any problem with that. I mean, you can set them up for 'nighttime' mode so you don't get notifications except from those you decide should be able to get through.

Last edited by RedJoker; 09-17-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

If I had pressing concerns as the OP has I would keep it closer to me. But I don't. Mine is far enough away from my bed as to be not within hearing range. Even if I could hear well.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I keep mine on the bedside table. I don't see any problem with that.
Me too. Don’t want to be running through a dark house in the middle of the night if my kids have an emergency. Or if I have an emergency. If I wake up with excruciating chest pain, I want to be able to call 911.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 AM

It's on the bedside table. It doubles as my alarm. I also have an 87 year old mother in assisting living that has multiple cardiac issues. I need to be available in case of emergency.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I think you're pretty far off track now and might have an incomplete understanding of a lot of business these days.

Where I work the 4th generation family owned business has been competing with the giants and other regional chains in a slice of time when similar competitors have sold out or closed their doors. You need to do the management style that works for the firm overall and also for the specific locations and jobs.

Managing people is varied techniques job when they come from different labor pools. Our college bound and in college part-time help is a lot different than the did not or barely graduated high school help. Moving up the ladder, managing college graduates with professional degrees is a lot different than managing people with less formal education. Over and over I see location directors have to use very different techniques based on their surroundings and their own ways as leaders.

Finally, the mobile technology isn't just there for my alarms related to infrastructure. Modern chat-based applications (Microsoft Teams in our case) does a lot to give people some sleep, sanity and productivity. It's really cool when you realize people 85 miles apart are working out problems.
While technology has changed , people are still people .
Please tell me that you aren't trying to convince me that people 85 or more miles apart could not communicate directly before the advent of the cell phone .
It sounds like your training has been very thorough .
Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 AM

In the kitchen turned off.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 AM

It’s my alarm clock. Nightstand.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Always within reach because it's where a wide array of alarms go off relative to managing the technology in an enterprise that never closes. If not alarms from devices or systems, there are calls from staff with issues.
This....

D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic