The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-16-2018, 04:03 PM

Hum, here I am right now in a restaurant staring into my phone totally engrossed, and agreeing with you......while reading all the responses on the AGF. I am one big contradiction!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

As a society, we are are still in the process of figuring out how to deal with cell phones. In the not to distant future they will go the way of the cassette and the CD.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
I love and hate technology. I go to the gym, and rather than working out, people are staring at their phones. Hardly anyone talks on the phone anymore, its'a all about texting. Then this one I love. People go to bed with their cell phones. Really? OMG!!! So while I try to have a sense of humor about it really is mind boggling!

Thoughts?!!!
Well, I guess you've exposed at least two things.

1. You need to find a new activity or gym. I exercise daily and don't find phones taking over or being intrusive even though quite a few are using them for quantification or the nudge factor. Have you tried hiking, biking, swimming, weight lifting, yoga, I'm sure I could think of more.

2. You don't approve of reading in bed. We don't have a TV or radio in our bedroom but we use the Kindle, Wall St. Journal and NY Times apps.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Well, I guess you've exposed at least two things.

1. You need to find a new activity or gym. I exercise daily and don't find phones taking over or being intrusive even though quite a few are using them for quantification or the nudge factor. Have you tried hiking, biking, swimming, weight lifting, yoga, I'm sure I could think of more.

2. You don't approve of reading in bed. We don't have a TV or radio in our bedroom but we use the Kindle, Wall St. Journal and NY Times apps.
I practice yoga, and I am an active hiker, in fact I went to Colorado a month ago and hiked 55 miles in RMNP. My yoga studio forbids the use of cell phones in the building which is pretty cool. Doesn't matter which gym you go to, people's heads are down, as I go to different locations of LA Fitness...

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Help me understand why texting is worse than talking.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
As a society, we are are still in the process of figuring out how to deal with cell phones. In the not to distant future they will go the way of the cassette and the CD.
What do you feel will take their place?
Old 09-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I practice yoga, and I am an active hiker, in fact I went to Colorado a month ago and hiked 55 miles in RMNP. My yoga studio forbids the use of cell phones in the building which is pretty cool. Doesn't matter which gym you go to, people's heads are down, as I go to different locations of LA Fitness...
They could be texting of course , but If they are as smart as their phones or watch , they may simply be monitoring a work out app when "their heads are down "

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-16-2018, 05:50 PM

I don’t get it. I’m looking at my smart phone right now. Later I might busk in front of it. It’s a tool. So are some people. The only thing different are the particulars of the trend.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Cellphones are not phones anymore. They are personal computers with advanced communication technology built in. What was once science fiction is in almost everyone's pocket now.

Beam me up Scotty......

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
...snip ...

Moral of the story:
The phone distracted human has definitely become a new hazard of the road.
One more thing to look out for.
Yup!

When it took me 20 minutes to drive the 2 miles to the gym last spring, I decided to get my old bike out and pedal the journey there and back - beter than a gym cycling machine anyway!

Because the roads in my ancient town are often too narrow for cars to pass each other, I worked out a route avoiding roads as much as possible.

It has really shown me how unobservant pedestrians can be. Add a phone into the mix and they become downright dangerous. Since I've startedcycling I've worn out one bell, and now have a "polite" one, and a 96db siren on my handlebars (!) and even then some are too distracted to respond.

Part of my journey is a path with a cycle lane, and it passes by one of the colleges. The so called "students" presumably studying for degrees, are often so stupid that they can't understand that they need to move off the clearly marked cycle lane when a bike is approaching them.

Ok .... I'm just having an old man's rant, but it's made me feel better.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Love it or hate it, it’s the way of the world and we ain’t going back. I would have been perfectly happy to have lived and died before the advent of PCs and cellphones, but it is what it is as they say. At 69 years old I don’t think I’m going to see anymore quantum leaps in technology as far as PCs and cellphones, but I shudder to think were this is going down the road a ways. To tell you the truth, I’m kinda glad I won’t be around for the next quantum leap in technology. We have basically surrendered our privacy at this point. What’s next?
Old 09-16-2018, 06:22 PM

if I am being tracked by my cell phone use , it will appear that I rarely leave my property .
My PTD is nothing but a tool . For some it is a Personal Tracking Device . Thus my referencing of the PTD .
Old 09-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Tico, I believe every generation has used the same phrase, and each one has believed they are correct with what ever they use to fill in the blank...
I can remember my now 85 year old mother telling me how much her dad hated the radio. After they bought one, he said no one talked or played cards, they just ''sat'' and listened to the dang thing.

"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Don't go to gyms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Help me understand why texting is worse than talking.
I have asked that one. I've noticed it helps a lot of people have their pie holes shut when they should be. At work people who used to be noisy in their disrespect and disregard for what's going on in a meeting are quiet now. I'm president and secretary on two organizations' boards. In 12-20 years with those organizations now I see meetings are not so noisy.

The criticism of phones is so get off my lawn. They're about everywhere. In the past few years on international trips I've noticed the poor or lower strata of society does their banking and business and family logistics on the phones. The service workers where I do executive work often have 2-3 jobs and use the phones as vital communication with their kids, families and employers.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Don't go to gyms?
We have a morbidly obese population in this country. I was a championship powerlifter and have continued to go to the gym for fun. It keeps me fit and I like chatting with the guys, they are a lot of fun. I just ignore the cell phones, I was only making an observation.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-16-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic