The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Innovative luthiers I know

Aloha All, I’m an acoustic guitar enthusiast and collector, and want to share some of my discoveries in fine acoustics.
I have no affiliation with any of these luthiers; just a fan and player.

My preferences are flat-top steel strings, the louder the better, and among newer developments I love sound ports so I can hear them better acoustically, and wedge shapes for physical comfort. I live on a remote island so I shop at a distance and rely on knowledgeable advice at a distance for most of my purchases. So let me give a shout out to my favorite dealers, Steve Coyle at Mighty Fine Guitars in California (I have never even been in MFG store… a pilgrimage I must make soon! ), and Kilin Reece at KR Strings on Oahu. These guitars were all bought either new or used… none were custom built for me. But I have ordered a few in my idealized specs from my three favorite builders… I’ll let you know how they turn out!

The most innovative design I’ve found is the Yamamoto Talus, by Tsuniya “Tony” Yamamoto in the Bay Area. Three design features combine to make the most ergonomic guitar I know of: A ‘Manzer’ wedge; not one but three bevels ( arm, thigh, and chest areas); and a very playable smooth neck joint that is an inspired work of geometry! Together these create a remarkably comfortable large-bodied guitar that almost disappears physically as you play. The sound is bold and forward, as well. Mine has a cocobolo back and sides and a pawlonia top, with figured koa in the bevels. I will attempt to post a picture from his website. The Talus has an asymmetrical shape that is elegant and functional, a work of art from every angle. I got mine from Mighty Fine Guitars, a dealer associate of Yamamoto. I had mine sent back to Tony for a soundport and pickup install. This guitar is tough also; I don’t hesitate to put it in the trunk of the car and go to a casual jam or performance.

The best sounding guitar I have is a Tom Doerr Solace, made in Michigan. This is his larger size. Mine is Brazilian b&s and Moon spruce top. Tom’s guitars have an elegance that’s hard to define. Every edge is beveled, smooth and invites touch. Using Spanish Cedar for linings, the guitar also my best smelling guitar! This has the Manzer wedge and soundport. It sounds loud but never harsh, with a mellow yet bold sound that is rare in newer guitars. It is intoxicating and hard to put down.

Before moving on, let me explain a side benefit to the ‘wedge’ which as I understand was developed by Linda Manzer. Kudos to Linda; It is a stroke of genius. Not only does a large-bodied guitar become comfortable under arm, but the fretboard gets tilted up at you, so seeing what you’re playing is easier. I haven’t heard anyone discuss this side-benefit, but it’s huge. For me, wedge shape and a soundport are the most significant recent innovations. Try ‘em, you’ll like ‘em!

As for innovation, I also think Rick Micheletti in Northern Cal is on to something with his ‘Rigid Rim’ technology, which makes the back more a powerful reflector of sound by using a rigid rim. The rounded smoothness of the edges is a separate benefit!

For reference, I do have a few old Martins from 60 to 99 years old in various sizes, and I love and respect them. I have a couple new Taylors, including a new Presentation Series with V-bracing and a sinker redwood top. Since I love small luthiers so much, it is difficult to admit what a great guitar this is! I also have guitars by Goodall, Henderson, Huss & Dalton, Bourgeois, and Gallagher. And my favorite in many ways is a Pegasus all-koa guitar built by local luthier and friend Bob Gleason here on the Big Island.
I wanted to share my excitement and appreciation for these relatively little-known luthiers.
Your mileage will vary, and your comments are welcome! I’d love to hear about your favorites, and why they are your favs!
Old 09-14-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
Before moving on, let me explain a side benefit to the ‘wedge’ which as I understand was developed by Linda Manzer. Kudos to Linda; It is a stroke of genius. Not only does a large-bodied guitar become comfortable under arm, but the fretboard gets tilted up at you, so seeing what you’re playing is easier. I haven’t heard anyone discuss this side-benefit, but it’s huge. For me, wedge shape and a soundport are the most significant recent innovations. Try ‘em, you’ll like ‘em!

Linda was not the originator of the wedge, that may have been William Cumpiano. The reason she originally used it was to facilitate seeing the fretboard, I believe on the Medusa or Pikasso guitars that have more than one neck. The ergonomic benefit was a bonus, not the original purpose.
et al

Last edited by Rodger Knox; 09-14-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:31 PM

Sounds like you’ve got a nice collection of guitars!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Linda was not the originator of the wedge, that may have been William Cumpiano. The reason she originally used it was to facilitate seeing the fretboard, I believe on the Medusa or Pikasso guitars that have more than one neck. The ergonomic benefit was a bonus, not the original purpose.
It was patented in 1969 by a guy named Walter Smith, although I believe Linda was unaware of the patent when she first started using the body shape. Regardless, she certainly played a major role in popularizing it.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3426638

Mike Baranik is pretty innovative, in my opinion. He's constantly introducing new design elements into his guitars. He's been using an asymmetric body style for quite some time, subtle things like a "drop top" to improve forearm comfort, unique stylings, and his very cool adjustable neck. He's always doing something new and fun on his body and aesthetic design.

Michi Matsuda certainly pushes the boundaries of what is possible. Not only does he fuse guitar and sculpture, but his extended low E design was pretty darn cool.

I also think Burton LeGeyt has to be mentioned for his completely unique - and thoroughly awesome - aesthetic. He's marrying some old world styles with his own look and producing guitars that look like nothing else out there. They also happen to sound like some of the best guitars I've ever played - which is why I ordered one!
Old 09-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Wow! That's an impressive collection of guitars RussellHawaii!! It sounds like they have all been thoughtfully picked out too. I am a big fan of mixing the newest innovations with tradition, in fact I think there are many aspects of the traditional guitar that can be greatly improved by these innovations to help with structural issues, ease of playability, comfort and to help get a more efficient working guitar (with more projection and sustain without "having to try as hard" - I suppose responsive is the word to use here...)
Anyway, I really admire those luthiers who have been mentioned and I think a couple others are worth mentioning - Dion James (who just commented on this thread!) and Jeremy Clark. They are both doing some pretty non-traditional things inside their instruments with much success - their instruments are phenomenal!
I've been adapting some of these ideas and incorporating them into my guitars as well because I think they are so great.
I believe we are in the Golden Age of guitars!
-Zach
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
Old 09-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Bews View Post
Sounds like you’ve got a nice collection of guitars!

Mahalo! ( thanks!)
Old 09-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Innovative luthiers I know

Thanks for the info, guys

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 09-15-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:53 AM

Just FTR, the pioneer of the beveled edge was Grit Laskin.

I have always been bemused by the universal reference to the "Manzer wedge", whereas nobody ever references the "Laskin bevel".
Old 09-17-2018, 05:27 AM

Hi Russell. Since we seem to be interested in so many of the same things in luthiery I thought I’d link a thread from a few years ago that details some of the processes I go through when building. Hope you enjoy!
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=423497
Old 09-17-2018, 10:50 AM

One of the over looked luthiers in the field of innovation I believe is Joel Michaud of Michaud Made guitars. Whether directly or indirectly, he is pretty much responsible for the use of metal in rosettes and inlays you see around today!

Check out his Instagram feed to see some examples of the amazing work he does

https://www.instagram.com/michaudmade/?hl=en

This particular one is my personal favourite:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZoeuETh...by=michaudmade

He also created my Michaud Made OM-R Moon Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood featuring some of the most innovative designs ever.

A scratch pad for percussive use integrating a brushed brass rosette:

An extended bass with an adjustable and removable banjo capo and a single slot head:

And locking banjo tuners to really capitalise on the banjo motif going on:

More brushed brass set inlays:

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Yup Marcus, The first one who inlayed Copper in his rosettes, was Joel. Pioneer style!
Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Good lord, that Matsuda is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Of course, every time I see a Matsuda I say that.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Good lord, that Matsuda is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Of course, every time I see a Matsuda I say that.

Is this a dig at Joel or did you not realize it’s a Michaud and not a Matsuda? FWIW this was built w Michi’s blessing.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Is this a dig at Joel or did you not realize it’s a Michaud and not a Matsuda? FWIW this was built w Michi’s blessing.
Oh whoops! Foot in mouth. No, I didn't realize it was a Michaud. I looked at the pick guard and extended frets up in the headstock and assumed it was Michi's. I guess I wasn't paying attention. I wouldn't take a dig at Joel or any other luthier here, as I know a lot of them personally and value their work.

Joel is a standup guy and I have no doubt he would seek Michi's permission. Regardless, my apologies Joel! It's an awesome guitar.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Oh whoops! Foot in mouth. No, I didn't realize it was a Michaud. I looked at the pick guard and extended frets up in the headstock and assumed it was Michi's. I guess I wasn't paying attention. I wouldn't take a dig at Joel or any other luthier here, as I know a lot of them personally and value their work.

Joel is a standup guy and I have no doubt he would seek Michi's permission. Regardless, my apologies Joel! It's an awesome guitar.

Good man. It’s quite the piece, for sure!

Last edited by JJI; 09-17-2018 at 01:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
luthier innovation