The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-10-2018, 06:02 AM

Default Leo Buendia OM Mahogany 2018 build

This spring Leo contacted me, ready to start with my OM. It was trouble, I did not yet have a set for back and sides wich I was ready to go with. I paused, and Leo was kind to build the next in line before mine. I then found this set for B&S, and we had a go in spring of 2018.

Marcus helped me to set up pic below, THX!

Last edited by zackl; 09-10-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:00 AM

Thank you Marcus. Easy as pie with your help!

Last edited by zackl; 09-10-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:03 AM

That's no ordinary Mahogany... that's "The Tree" Quilted Mahogany and a nicely figured set at that! Wow, congratulations!! Leo's list is over 6 years long right now and just raised his base price. You are one lucky man to have yours happening right now

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

That doesn't look like the quilted - looks alot like the tortoiseshell figure, which is very nice - Looking forward to seeing this come together!
Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackl View Post
I then found this set for B&S, and we had a go in spring of 2018.
Where in the world did you just "find" a set of The Tree, and a particularly fine set at that? Can you find me one as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
That doesn't look like the quilted - looks alot like the tortoiseshell figure, which is very nice - Looking forward to seeing this come together!
All sets from The Tree are quilted: that's its basic figure. The intensity of the quilt (and the incredible chatoyancy it conveys) is what makes The Tree so visually striking. Sometimes that fundamental figure is further enhanced--not replaced--by the tortiseshell veins.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

While that is true, you'll find that when the wood was originally sold, and as many luthiers will tell you, there are a few distinct patterns that are found in material from the tree - Quilted (which indeed all of it can be called), sausage, and tortoiseshell - there were even sections that could be called flamed - the tortoiseshell is one of the most distinct styles, and I see alot of it in that set - its very nice -
Old 09-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Yep, that's what I'm saying: those are different variations of what we term quilting. One of my guitars has the so-called sausage quilt figure. Marcus has a gorgeous Michaud with the tortoiseshell figure.
I've never seen a Tree set I'd consider flamed, but if you know of one I'd love to see it.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Unless it also has sections of the more unique figures it looks like any other flamed mahogany -

Almost 40 years back I had a board of it about 17” wide, and 21 ft long that had samples of all the figures - shoulda kept it. Back then it was all getting turned into fancy conference tables -
Old 09-11-2018, 06:08 AM

Thanks for nice comments on B&S. I guess the word "find" in above post does not exactly reflect the amount of time, thought and efforts put into my choice, and really, I did not look that far.. Leo was of great help. It was just a bit of a decision.

Next to decide was the top. I knew I would like a top that would hold up for a variety of playing, and fit well together with the Hogg. I had a Cedar guitar, and even though very nice fingerpicked, my thick right hand did not fit the Cedar very well, it kind of imploded on me when digging in. When discussing it with Leo, he suggested Adirondack. He had a quite recent build with the same combination of woods, and he had some really nice sets of Adirondack available.

Last edited by zackl; 09-11-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Leo is a favorite builder of mine, I love his guitars...!!! Exciting, smart choice! gorgeous wood...
Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Jeez. You can't go wrong with that choice. Yowza! Please don't be shy about pics. Although it may seem at times like we hate pics, we don't.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Looking forward to following this build thread!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-12-2018, 09:15 AM

This is going to be fun to watch! Congratulations!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Thank you for the kind words. Next was the rosette. After trying to learn photoshop overnight, and giving up in bribing my wife to do the photoshopping for me, Leo gave the magic question I needed: whats the first rosette that comes to your mind ? Well, the first rosette that popped in my head was this classic...

I chose black, the rest was a breeze, it was to become a guitar with a clean look.

Last edited by zackl; 09-14-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Oh my, that is an exquisite rosette!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop