The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-04-2018, 04:51 PM

Default Time for a new preamp - Recommendations?

Hi all.

My Baggs Venue has developed a weird issue where there's a terrible hiss when it's plugged in, and since it lives on my pedalboard and always has an instrument cable plugged into it, I can never consistently remember to plug it back in, so the battery is always dodgy. I also hate the tuner. And I'm not a huge fan of the EQ points on it (I prefer the PZ Pre's).

So. I'm in the market for a new preamp/EQ. I have a PZ Pre that I use for my other instruments, and I love it. I would be happy to swap the Venue out for another one. I have a ToneDexter and a PADI that I will likely swap it out for and experiment with, but for a bunch of reasons, I'm interested in other options.

A few considerations:

- This is only for an acoustic guitar equipped with a B-Band, but a two-channel pre would allow me to run my octave mandolin in my rig.
- I'm only interested in live applications for it.
- It needs to live on my pedalboard and either run on phantom power or have its own power adapter. I have a fair amount of space free on the board, so I could potentially accommodate something as big as an Avalon U5.
- Tuner optional. Especially if it tracks as slowly as the Venue's does.
- I'd prefer knobs to digital things that I have to poke around in to find stuff. If I'm on stage and need to turn down the volume or treble or whatever, I'd prefer to be able to bend down and turn a knob to fix the problem.

Recommendations? Maybe something like the Grace Alix?
Old 07-04-2018, 07:52 PM

Have you tried a different power supply?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-04-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
- This is only for an acoustic guitar equipped with a B-Band, but a two-channel pre would allow me to run my octave mandolin in my rig.
- I'm only interested in live applications for it.
- It needs to live on my pedalboard and either run on phantom power or have its own power adapter. I have a fair amount of space free on the board, so I could potentially accommodate something as big as an Avalon U5.
- Tuner optional. Especially if it tracks as slowly as the Venue's does.
- I'd prefer knobs to digital things that I have to poke around in to find stuff. If I'm on stage and need to turn down the volume or treble or whatever, I'd prefer to be able to bend down and turn a knob to fix the problem.

Recommendations? Maybe something like the Grace Alix?
If you like the EQ on the PZ-Pre, you might consider a PZ Deluxe, which is more or less (mostly less, in terms of features) the 1 channel version of the other. But if two channels are an advantage, I'd say just get another PZ-Pre--or a Grace Felix if you have the cash.

L.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
This is only for an acoustic guitar equipped with a B-Band, but a two-channel pre would allow me to run my octave mandolin in my rig ...snip... Tuner optional.
There are a number of options for an AB switch that might make it cheaper and easier to find/choose a single-channel preamp.

I'm using a ToneDexter on my board but plug my Lowden O23c and my Crosby bouzar (tenor-guitar-bouzouki-octave-mandolin hybrid thing), both of which have Schatten HFN passive pickups installed, into a Korg Pitchblack+ because it's both an AB switch and a decent strobe (or not if you prefer) tuner. The only improvement I'd make on this setup is to be able to choose images on the TD with a footswitch like the tuner/switch (but bending over to switch TD images is not that onerous...).

Another AB switch that I've used, that lets me balance an instrument with an active pickup with a passive pickup instrument, is a Radial Bigshot I/O. The switch has a tuner out and has a trim pot for the 2nd instrument to balance the volume. Both run on standard 9vDC but there's also an older version of the Bigshot I/O that is passive.

Hope this helps...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
There are a number of options for an AB switch that might make it cheaper and easier to find/choose a single-channel preamp.

I'm using a ToneDexter on my board but plug my Lowden O23c and my Crosby bouzar (tenor-guitar-bouzouki-octave-mandolin hybrid thing), both of which have Schatten HFN passive pickups installed, into a Korg Pitchblack+ because it's both an AB switch and a decent strobe (or not if you prefer) tuner. The only improvement I'd make on this setup is to be able to choose images on the TD with a footswitch like the tuner/switch (but bending over to switch TD images is not that onerous...).

Another AB switch that I've used, that lets me balance an instrument with an active pickup with a passive pickup instrument, is a Radial Bigshot I/O. The switch has a tuner out and has a trim pot for the 2nd instrument to balance the volume. Both run on standard 9vDC but there's also an older version of the Bigshot I/O that is passive.

Hope this helps...

Phil

I have the older Bigshot I/O too, very useful on stage. If I remember correctly the new version still works passively and doesn’t need a power supply, the power is only for the indicator lights so the user sees which input is active and if it is mute or not. Something I would have appreciated during a gig a year or so ago...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-05-2018, 05:21 AM

I love my Grace BiX, the smallest of their preamps. It's the same tech as the ALiX and the FELiX, minus the extra inputs and some dials. I used to own a Venue and a Fishman Platinum Pro. This is on another level, in my opinion.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 07-05-2018, 06:24 AM

I have a Grace Felix on my pedal board.
2 chanel . i run 1 cord into an a/b switch
and two short patches into the felix for
my acoustic guitar and mandolin,
I wouldn't mention the felix because it's
a grand (worth every penny) but since
you said avalon u5 i figured you are the
"get what you pay for" kind of person.
Felix has an effects loop ..
it has its own internal power supply so no wall wart .

Last edited by varmonter; 07-05-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:59 AM

You may have answered your own question. The Grace Bix, Alix or Felix may be your cup of tea. You would certainly be stepping up in audio quality.

You didn’t mention that you needed a boost switch or a mute switch. Features do vary greatly between units. Choose your preamp based on the features you need.

Why not use the Tone Dexter with a footswitch?

If you want ultimate simplicity there is a two channel Red Eye made by Fire Eye. It has a boost switch and a treble knob that makes for a workable EQ. It runs off of phantom power and will run your guitar and mando separate.

The Mesa Rosette is newer on the market. It has features galore. Worth checking out.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
You may have answered your own question. The Grace Bix, Alix or Felix may be your cup of tea. You would certainly be stepping up in audio quality.

You didn’t mention that you needed a boost switch or a mute switch. Features do vary greatly between units. Choose your preamp based on the features you need.

Why not use the Tone Dexter with a footswitch?

If you want ultimate simplicity there is a two channel Red Eye made by Fire Eye. It has a boost switch and a treble knob that makes for a workable EQ. It runs off of phantom power and will run your guitar and mando separate.

The Mesa Rosette is newer on the market. It has features galore. Worth checking out.
Oh yea i use the boost and mute switch on
the felix all the time. The boost is the best clean
boost i've ever used . There is a knob to adjust
the amt of boost you want.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:59 AM

I may have to see if Rockabilly69 will let me take his Grace Felix for a spin.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
I love my Grace BiX, the smallest of their preamps. It's the same tech as the ALiX and the FELiX, minus the extra inputs and some dials. I used to own a Venue and a Fishman Platinum Pro. This is on another level, in my opinion.
Agree 100%, I've had all the preamps on the market including the U5 , baggs, fishman.I currently own a felix and bix.Grace preamps just sounds better.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I may have to see if Rockabilly69 will let me take his Grace Felix for a spin.
The parametric on the felix is very good.
it takes a bit to get used to. Small increments
can effect the sound in a big way. It's really
quite good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification