The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-23-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I'll modify this post as a running tally for those interested.
Should be interesting to see how much this all adds up to!
All costs shown in Australian Dollars (AUD)

Course - $3,850 - Includes standard hard case(I booked before this was changed to an optional extra) and Cutaway
Flight TAS to QLD - $140
Flight QLD to TAS - $324.80
Pickup - $466 - Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend.
Case Upgrade to a Hiscox - $200
Accommodation - $715 - Got a great place on AirBnB just around the corner from the course!
Food & General Expenses - TBA

Total Running Cost - $5695.80 and counting!
Just updated this post to include the confirmation of the Hiscox Case. An extra $50 over what was estimated, but we both agree they are one of the best cases available.
Just a reminder that the prices shown are in Australian Dollars.

Just a little over 2 weeks to go now, final payments are being made this week to cover the accommodation and the course itself. My only additional outlays left will be for my food and general expenses, and any upgrades I pick out for the timbers etc.

I was discussing a few things with Aaron the other day, and he mentioned that he has some nice sets of Blackwood coming in, so hopefully I can find something that really gets the blood flowing.
Unfortunately, he has so much nice looking timbers at his disposal, I'll probably find something totally different !
Some recently completed builds include:
Rosewood

Camphor Wood:

Has anyone built a Blackwood/Rosewood guitar before?

Cooba:

Silver Quandong Top w/ Hairy Oak Fretboard & Rosette:

Blackheart Sassafras

But there's really something about Aussie Blackwood that has really struck a chord(pun intended!) with me.

Some of you may see that there is a similarity to Koa, and that's because they are semi-related. Both are members of the Acacia family, and Blackwood is sustainable, and not as rare as Koa is getting.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

Last edited by Zandit75; 08-23-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

I'm always a sucker for Blackwood, and that Hairy Oak fretboard looks great!
Old 08-23-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I'm always a sucker for Blackwood, and that Hairy Oak fretboard looks great!
It doesn't do much for me, it's a little too much from left field for my tastes. I feel the same way with Tiger Myrtle, some people absolutely love it, but it looks cheap and nasty to me.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Getting excited for you. Looks like a great time ahead.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 08-23-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Getting excited for you. Looks like a great time ahead.
I think I'm a little beyond that point now!!

This has been a long road, I'm not sure how I will feel about it once it's all completed!
Old 08-24-2018, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It doesn't do much for me, it's a little too much from left field for my tastes. I feel the same way with Tiger Myrtle, some people absolutely love it, but it looks cheap and nasty to me.
I'm with you on Tiger Myrtle...
Old 08-24-2018, 06:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

If you're like most of us...one won't do. You'll become addicted, and you'll find a way to build a second...and a third...and a fourth...and a fifth...and a..........

Joel

Quote:
I think I'm a little beyond that point now!!

This has been a long road, I'm not sure how I will feel about it once it's all completed!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-25-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
If you're like most of us...one won't do. You'll become addicted, and you'll find a way to build a second...and a third...and a fourth...and a fifth...and a..........

Joel
Haha, my wife is going to love hearing that!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Blackwood is a lovely wood and finishes nicely. I've always thought that Blackwood and western cedar or sinker redwood would be cool. Then again, I find beauty in a nice ribbon Sapele or plain straight grained mahogany. Enjoy the class, I think it's an incredible opportunity for you.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
Blackwood is a lovely wood and finishes nicely. I've always thought that Blackwood and western cedar or sinker redwood would be cool. Then again, I find beauty in a nice ribbon Sapele or plain straight grained mahogany. Enjoy the class, I think it's an incredible opportunity for you.
And there lies the issue. Too many choices, not enough range of high end guitars nearby for me to try and find out what I prefer.

I've played an all Koa Taylor K24C with the new V Bracing and loved it immensely. From all reports, Aussie Blackwood has very similar qualities and also can match it in the looks department. Hence you can see why I'm leaning towards an all Aussie Blackwood build.

Additionally, since this guitar will be finished in a Danish oil, I'll probably be avoiding the softer timbers like the cedars. We can always try to be careful with our babies, but sometimes accidents happen.

This will not be a Lamborghini that stays in the garage under a cover to retain its value, it's going to be gigged and played and shared around at jam sessions(to the less inebriated!!!) and just enjoyed. Hopefully that will raise the value that I see in it!!

Thanks for following along!!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:37 PM

Aaron is just teasing me now!!
He posted this up yesterday, a new Concert Ukulele that he's working on!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:44 PM

T Minus 1 Day, Tomorrow is Day Zero, which is travel day!

All my bags are packed (Actually, no their not, I just have a pile of clothes on the spare bed)
I'm ready to go (I've been ready for 3yrs, but I guess you could say I'm patient!!)
I'm standin' here outside your door (Ummm, that would be weird, and I can't be in more than one place at a time!!)
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye (I don't really care about that, if you have notifications on your phone, it's your own fault this wakes you up!!)

Have we had another thread with 70+ posts without a single photo of the actual build yet??!!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good luck to you as your start you’re new adventure. Enjoy the ride!

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 09-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Best of luck and have an awesome time!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Zandit75...

Good luck and enjoy every second of this adventure. You can sleep when you get home...but remember that you will need a certain amount of rest. I assure you that your life will never be the same.....I am walking talking proof of that fact. Most of all, though.....have the time of your life!!! I am 100% fully in your corner, and will be praying for great success.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop