The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Smile Preferred electronics

Just curious - what is the best undersaddle pickup for a Martin 000-28ec. I realize this is subjective, but would love to hear from you experts:

Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 AM

As some one who dislikes piezoelectric pickups, among the ones that I would consider are the B-Band and Pick-up the World pickups.

http://www.b-band.com/index.php?mact...01returnid=151

http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/products.htm
Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 AM

Hi,

does the martin have a UST in it at the moment. I gather that it does, and you are looking at replacing it?
Why don't you leave it in and add a K&K PWM and run 2 sources?
These 2 sources would sound good blended together.

If it doesn't have one, what convinced you that the UST was the way to go?

Jask
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Undersaddle

Currently, it does not have any type of electronics. I have a Larrivee with a LR baggs Ibeam, which works well (only when paired with a LR baggs para di). I don't know anything about pickups installed near/adjacent to the sound hole. Tell me more...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Hi,

I would recommend a SBT (Soundboard Transducer), similar to the IBeam that you already have.

I would go with a K&K Pure Western Mini.
These are 3 piezo transducers that are glued or stuck to the bridgeplate inside the guitar.
You wont have to drill any holes in your guitar (except the endpin if it isn't already drilled) and It will work passively(without a preamp) although they are much, much better when used with a preamp. It will sound the best with a Matched Pure preamp from K&K but It will work with the Baggs Padi that you have now.
This system is very flexible and you can add another source later if you wish. You can buy add on components from K&K such as the Trinity Upgrade which adds an internal mic to the system.

I wouldn't install a UST unless you really have your heart set on it.
You will have to drill a hole in the saddle slot to install it and there is a chance it might change the unplugged tone of your guitar depending which UST you go with. You can easily install the K&K yourself without affecting the unplugged tone of your guitar

You could go for a magnetic pickup but the can tend to sound a tad electric. I use mags in most of my live setups in conjunction with UST's or SBT's and i like the sound from a good SBT suck as the K&K.
It will give you very accurate reproduction of the guitars natural tone, they don't sound exactly line the guitar unplugged, but they are as close as you can get without using an external mic

Hope this helps and is not too confusing,

another good idea is to do a search in the electrified section of this forum for "acoustic pickup". It will supply you with heaps of reading matter

Jask
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 AM

There is no "best" pickup for any guitar. It has as much to do with the kind of music one plays; live or recording; solo, small combo, or band; what kind of stage volumes one encounters; etc, etc. So ... the K&K PWM (which, in this forum, is the standard reply to your question) might not work for you.

I have a Fishman Matrix Infinity in my Breedlove OM that sounds great. I have a Baggs Element in my Martin D-35, and that also sounds great. I had an I-Beam in the D-35, and that was disastrous ... sounded like crap (muddy, bassy, and VERY susceptible to feedback on stage). I had a Baggs M1-A in a Breedlove dread, and that was just OK as far as tone ... but perfect for a loud band because it resisted feedback.

I've yet to try a B-band, but I might put one my Guild 12-string.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 AM

I have a highlander ip-1 under saddle installed in my D28... The install is expensive but it is totally feedback resistant and produces IMHO the truest sound available in an under saddle.

2015 Gibson Hummingbird
2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
2017 Fender American Elite Thinline Telecaster
2004 PRS Singlecut Trem
2008 Fender 62' AVRI
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

It kinds depends on how the guitar will be used. My Martin and Taylor have LR Baggs elements in them and they sound great...especially with the Para DI..and if you're using the guitar in a band and need to be really lound then that's a good, easy and not real expensive way to go...My Gibson has the K & K and it sounds "just like the guitar". I've never had feed back problems with it but I've read on here where some people think it can't run at "real high" volumes. But it's a great pick-up!!
Anyway, that's my 3 cents worth...
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtobias View Post
Just curious - what is the best undersaddle pickup for a Martin 000-28ec. I realize this is subjective, but would love to hear from you experts:

Thanks
IMHO, by far the best undersaddle system for your Martin is the new DTAR Multisource, which combines their 18-volt high-headroom Wavelength pickup with an internal mic that is optimized for use inside a guitar (ie to help avoid feedback).

I've had a Wavelength in my Martin OM John Mayer for a while now, which has been awesome. I recently swapped it out for the Multisource and it sounds even better...the mic injects just a bit of that air into the signal that the pickup alone cannot provide. I have a K&K Trinity system in my Laurence Juber Martin OM and it sounds great, too...but honestly the Multisource sounds just as good and without any feedback issues or having to use an external blender.

I highly recommend the Multisource. The folks at Martin are now including it as an install option for those who want electronics in their guitar but do not want a barndoor in the side of their guitar.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle1 View Post
IMHO, by far the best undersaddle system for your Martin is the new DTAR Multisource, which combines their 18-volt high-headroom Wavelength pickup with an internal mic that is optimized for use inside a guitar (ie to help avoid feedback).

I've had a Wavelength in my Martin OM John Mayer for a while now, which has been awesome. I recently swapped it out for the Multisource and it sounds even better...the mic injects just a bit of that air into the signal that the pickup alone cannot provide. I have a K&K Trinity system in my Laurence Juber Martin OM and it sounds great, too...but honestly the Multisource sounds just as good and without any feedback issues or having to use an external blender.

I highly recommend the Multisource. The folks at Martin are now including it as an install option for those who want electronics in their guitar but do not want a barndoor in the side of their guitar.
So glad to hear it! I've been have an internal battle over which pick-up system to choose: the K&K trinity or the Multi-source, and I think I'm going to go with the multi-source cause I love the headroom and reviews have been great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification