The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Bose L1compact arrived

I just received the new Bose L1 compact today and plugged it in briefly. I am very impressed thus far. I sure wish I had it this morning for a gig I played. I had to haul my model II system with a bunch of other stuff a block--argh.

I'll play a gig with it at my Thursday night regular venue tomorrow and report back.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Cool... I gotta try one soon also.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 AM

There is a great acoustic shop nearby that sells BOSE and Fishman so I am waiting for the Compact to arrive. I can then A/B/C the three. My quest for downsizing has made me think about not lugging the BOSE Model 1 classic if I can replace it and be satisfied with what the Compact offers. Despite the heavy base of the Model 1, there still is nothing that works like the BOSE for me.
I plugged into the GB Compak300 head and ran the line out into the line input of the BOSE and the tone was stellar. The BOSE Compact would have to be pretty convincing to me, but anything is possible with the advancements being made today.
davidc
Old 05-07-2009, 01:44 PM

I loved my model 1 and still love my model 2, but this little compact is so easy to haul. I had to load my car up with it this morning before coming to teach school (I go to my gig directly). The extensions are feather light and the base unit is similar to carrying the sub from the model II. That's it. Pretty amazing.

I'll report back after my gig.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
I loved my model 1 and still love my model 2, but this little compact is so easy to haul. I had to load my car up with it this morning before coming to teach school (I go to my gig directly). The extensions are feather light and the base unit is similar to carrying the sub from the model II. That's it. Pretty amazing.

I'll report back after my gig.
Great initial impression... looking forward to hearing your review after the gig.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Didn't run the GB Compact or Cub 100 into the Bose yet,,, good idea.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-08-2009, 03:49 AM

Okay, I played my first gig with the L1c and it is plenty loud enough. This venue last night has horrible acoustics--horrible. My wife was present. I used the L1c in conjunction with my Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus--my Taylor is in the shop (I'll have it today for this weekends shows).

At first I had trouble with too much bass. Yes, I said too much bass. I play on a stage and was pretty close to the unit. The Crowdster is notorious for its bass. I had the bass dialed out of the guitar and after a bit of tweaking, and by the third or fourth song, had found a very nice sound. The vocals sounded really nice through the unit.

I am going to wait for my Taylor to really judge the unit--although right now I'd say I am extremely happy. Two trips to the car. Two. I honestly could see making it in one trip if I wasn't a pedalboard freak.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 AM

You know, it's pretty easy to make 1 trip. Just buy one of these:

http://www.rocknrollercart.com/

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 AM

I have one of those, Guyute. But they are pretty big to throw in the car and then wheel around. It was very helpful at a recent gig until I turned a corner a little sharp and everything fell off.

What I really need is to be filthy rich and then hire a full-time roadie to go and set up all of my gear and tear it down, have several guitars tuned in alternate tunings, and keep my water glass filled with ice water and two lemons.

That would solve everything.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:36 AM

...or just be really, really nice to your wife, (part-time roadie!).
Good luck with that. It sure didn't work for me.
We are anxious to hear a report with the Taylor. Let us know if it is ES equipped.
How big was the room? Crowd?

One of the issues I always have despite proper mic etiquette, etc., is having to be too close to the L1 and feedback. Does it make a difference to have the whole array above you?

davidc
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM

I had no issue with feedback and I think having the array up high helped. My only problem was bass on the guitar and I don't think that was the L1c's fault.

My Taylor GACE Fall Limited 2008 is ES equipped and I'll report about that tonight.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 PM

I just set up the unit in my basement and ran the Taylor Fall Limited GACE and a SM58Beta in direct. The Taylor sounded like heaven. The preset was delightful. The mic sounded great, too.

I am extremely pleased, YMMV.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Nice... tell us all about tonight's gig...Get some pics too.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:09 PM

No gig tonight. First Friday off in 2009. Took the wife to see Star Trek. I recommend it, fun movie.

Tomorrow night, however, I am going to try a large show with it. I'm in a Simon and Garfunkel duo. It'll just be two voices and one guitar. I'm going to assume that the L1C will be sufficient. I really think it will.

I'll report back.
Earthworm out.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 PM

Which one will you be??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification