The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

Having looked into it I think I will get a JJB pickup - I can buy these direct since the postage is cheap and so pay the US price instead of the inflated GBP price. Also it seems like they are probably the best sound quality in the price range.

I have a couple of questions though if anyone has some experience with them? Is there much difference between 2 and 3 transducers? In fact they say it is only $5 to add one so I think I will go for 3 whichever one I go for, but do people notice a difference?

There is a big difference in price between the set with the endpin and the set with a jack that comes out the side. I guess the endpin is more expensive becuase it is bigger and requires more machining than the very simple side jack. Is there any problem with having the jack in the side? Is it worse for sound of the guitar or unlikely to make any difference? Is it harder to drill than enlarging the end pin? Or is just aesthetics that make the endpin more desireable?

Cheers,
Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 AM

I'd go with the 3 transducers. Better string separation and likely better tone and more signal.....

I would rather have the jack installed in the endpin position any day. There's a nice big wood block there for support at the butt end of the guitar. To me it almost seems risky installing one in the side. You have to be careful where you're drilling Never installed one there and I probably never will. Endpin is a safer bet as long as you follow the right technique enlarging the hole for the preamp jack.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:33 AM

Right, I guess thats right.

It's just the endpin doubles the price ($50 vs 25$) and since this is going in a 90$ guitar (Walden G570 from ebay - bit of a bargain I think) I'm not sure if it is worth the cost. (More than half the cost of the guitar!)

I am also trying to keep in mind resale value... I guess the endpin would be better for that.

And the wood on the walden seems very thin (it is really light compared to my other acoustic - a mid-80's Fender) so I think I would worry about the side jack if the cable got yanked or anything.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Even the cheap Radio Shack lapel mic on Doug Young's site sounds better than any of the other on-board pickups he has recorded.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification