The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 09-13-2018, 05:04 AM

Phil thanks for chiming in. As a person who got to play all the 2011 show guitars John made your perspective is very valuable.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 AM

Happy Sunday bump. I'm very motivated for a quick sale due to pressing financials so if there is any interest out there please hit me with your offers. Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 07:51 AM

Hey everyone! Rio sent me this thread and seeing the comments have really brightened my day. I truly appreciate all the kind words.

The pink ivory guitar was the one and only guitar I made from that wood (due to the trouble and scarcity of finding the wood) it was beautiful and was a pleasure to work with.

The medallion i let all the artists do whatever they wanted. No guidance, just here is your blank canvas. Do what you want! Lavin did an amazing job with the butterfly and surprised me with the blue background (a very pleasant surprise) as it was originally ebony and he replaced it with the blue (corian I think...). Came out beautifully.

Pink ivory is very dense and it reminded me of Maple, but not as dry. Its heavier as well.

At any rate I dont make it back around here much these days (mainly because it makes me a bit sad the way things turned out for me and this reminds me of.. what was and could have been) so I apologize for for that. Life has thrown me around a bit....ok a lot... but again I appreciate all your kind words and I wish you the best of luck finding a new home for this guitar. I'll remind any perspective buyers it is was double what he is asking when it was new.

Much love and many thanks,

John
Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 PM

John thank you so much for dropping by on this thread! It is wonderful to hear from you and here's wishing you all the very best and that one way or another one day soon you bounce back stronger than ever.

You are a true artist! Selling my L32 and now the Pink Lady is very tough on me but like my wish for you I too hope to bounce back and reacquire some Mayes yet again in due course. Till then and hoping this guitar will sell soon and find a great home.

As you said, it is now 1/2 of my cost and is literally in mint condition. Whoever gets it at this price will be a lucky guy/gal. Thanks once again for making this and all the other amazing guitars. Keep well and hang in there please.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Are there any videos of this guitar being played and if not could you please post one?

Best & thanks!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 PM

No videos available as of now. I will try and locate a local player who can help me record a video that will do justice to this amazing guitar. Hopefully I can arrange something this weekend and post.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem for a guitar I'm selling, finding someone who can demo it for me...
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Maybe John could please explain what his Mayes Eureka! style bracing is and how it affects the tone?

Also, what would be the difference in tone between a Pink Ivory back and sides sets vs. Brazilian Rosewood, and if there had been any dye used to color the wood?

I saw where Cook Woods was selling Pink Ivory, and some of the pieces it states there was dye used in the wood: https://www.cookwoods.com/collection...k-ivory-w85265

Thanks!!!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_fan View Post
Maybe John could please explain what his Mayes Eureka! style bracing is and how it affects the tone?

Also, what would be the difference in tone between a Pink Ivory back and sides sets vs. Brazilian Rosewood, and if there had been any dye used to color the wood?

I saw where Cook Woods was selling Pink Ivory, and some of the pieces it states there was dye used in the wood: https://www.cookwoods.com/collection...k-ivory-w85265

Thanks!!!
Hi Bond... if John chimes in again whatever he says will trump what I say (!!) but I do have some answers for you.

1. Eureka bracing... for about 3 years John experimented with different bracing for his tops - going through 17 builds before landing on what he then called the "Eureka!" ("I found it!"). (He destroyed all the previous 17, by the way - not wanting ANY less than stellar instruments out there that he had built...). He used that bracing for this run of 4 guitars, as well as for a few others. He found it to be the best for sustain and projection, and was very pleased with the guitars he made - a leap forward in his opinion.

I can attest to the quality of the GCs and OO - which were new interpretations of his L32 and slope D Gibson-based models. I think the GC was actually a new body design for him - certainly the OO was - he came up with that one for me I believe.

2. I saw the pink ivory from raw wood through to finished guitar - and no color was ever added (or needed)! It is certainly rare - a "royal" wood in the originating countries (on the African continent somewhere I understand). I've seen bowls and other wood objects turned and carved and constructed with it, but this is the only guitar I've ever seen.

Tone is always subjective, but this is in the rosewood family of tones to my ear - strong fundamentals, lots of overtones, like a grand piano, only with a glassiness you get with very hard woods like maple, African Blackwood, dense cocobolo, or some of the older Braz. Of course - the top influences the tone the most, and the builder can make tone out of sawdust! - but what the pink ivory contributed was that lush with strong treble, spruce added the tone-forward immediacy, and the result was a great blend.

Hope that helps. Nothing's better than in person, of course, but that's my remembered impressions of this guitar.

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the information Phil!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the information Phil! You are an awesome brand ambassador for Mayes.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 PM

Happy Sunday everyone! Despite some great interest and questions the guitar is still here. Let me know if you have any questions. All the best
Old 09-25-2018, 07:57 AM

I made the huge mistake of selling my Mayes several years ago. I'd like to have another some day....and this one is sooo tempting.
I loved this series of guitars and got to go to his shop a few times while they were being built. I actually saw him sand this one.

John built some amazing guitars.
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke

Last edited by IPlay2; 09-25-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:43 PM

I know I will regret this very much as well but...

Guitar sold pending payment. Thanks for all the interest and support with information and encouragement.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:29 AM
*mahoganut*

(mixed, of course, but) good news! If the buyer has any questions I or IPlay2 can answer, PM us. Happy to help.
Best,
Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars