The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Migrating from windows to Mac laptop ??

Hi, my desk top and my laptop are both running Win 7 V6 with a 2007 office package, with 8gb and 1 tb drive.

I've long "fancied" mac machines , mainly for the looks and the supposed extra safety.
Both the laptops in the house have contracted viruses recently despite Bullguard. Other issues like really slow loading of websites are occuring, mainly through firefox.
I have a fibre connection with about 26-30 mbps.

I'm thinking about buying a used Mac book in order to familiarise myself with Apple way of working and maybe to use for home video editing and recording.

Could anyone advise what NOT to buy when speaking about "generations" or whatever ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:34 AM

You might want to look at a new/used Macbook Air. Go for the most recent model you can afford. They should be the cheapest Apple notebook but go for the 13" model as it has more ports and of course a bigger screen. If it doesn't necessarily have to be a notebook, then look for a Mac Mini instead as it will be the cheapest Apple computer. I went that route (Mac Mini) back in 2005 to do just what you're now doing (dipping my toes in the water) and have been using Macs exclusively since then (currently have a 2013 13" Macbook Air and 2012 27" iMac). For basic video editing and recording, these computers (Air or Mini) will more than fit the bill.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:15 AM

I would upgrade to Win 10 first. Viruses are most likely targeting security holes in the older OS.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 AM

look for refurbs on the apple site. they have a warranty. i've purchased two ipads and an imac and have had no problem with them.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, my desk top and my laptop are both running Win 7 V6 with a 2007 office package, with 8gb and 1 tb drive.

I've long "fancied" mac machines , mainly for the looks and the supposed extra safety.
Both the laptops in the house have contracted viruses recently despite Bullguard. Other issues like really slow loading of websites are occuring, mainly through firefox.
I have a fibre connection with about 26-30 mbps.

I'm thinking about buying a used Mac book in order to familiarise myself with Apple way of working and maybe to use for home video editing and recording.

Could anyone advise what NOT to buy when speaking about "generations" or whatever ?

Thanks in advance.
There are apps and sites that do a great job of stating the models and their OS version compatibility. I would not spend what in middle USA slang is "good money" on a model that isn't going to run the latest version of the operating system. You want that for the software feature set and most efficient or best path for security and bug patches.

As much as our Air model was great it does not have the "retina" type displays. That class of display the best Windows and newer Macs have. That's an all the difference feature for many. Windows or Mac, make sure you have your eyes on that type of display.

A lot of people are not really aware of where system performance bottlenecks are. Very often that's the motherboard chipset vintage and quality of storage. That is a strong argument for a solid state drive and newer system.

Consider how you work. My life as an IT admin makes a laptop very important but I sure value a nice desktop computer and the same "Retina" type displays on iMac computers. They also have the option of tiered storage they label "fusion". I love that as a best way to get performance and storage capacity. What you use often is moved to the solid state drive in the system. What you don't use often is on the old school spindle type hard drive.

Remember that backing up is not just for truck drivers. To insure a migration and have a fall back make sure your Windows system has a good back up strategy and that you use the built in Time Machine with the Mac.

Apple has a utility to help you migrate from Windows. Their stores have free classes. Of course the Internet is full of lots of other help and advice.

For a long time I liked and had a larger loaded full featured laptop as my work horse. Now I love the very small 12 inch MacBook and Retina class iMacs. One or both might work for you. I catch a lot of users passing over both.

One thing you have to get used to with Windows and Mac upgrades is the staying current and subscription models. My inner grumpy old guy didn't like that at the start. Now I have my old stuff in a Windows virtual machine and I'm really happy to pay some monthly and annual subscriptions for software that I use. Of course there are some alternatives.

I don't know about your country but in the US making an appointment at an Apple Store is worth the trip for many. You get a store that's trained and staffed better than average. Some are taken back by their wanting you to have a reservation but you should remember that means they're making an attempt to give you time and with someone qualified for your issues.

Have fun shopping.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
look for refurbs on the apple site. they have a warranty. i've purchased two ipads and an imac and have had no problem with them.

play music!
^^^Yes, please take this advice and look there 1st. Forgot to mention that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic