The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2018, 05:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I just looked into the ML-2 and it seems like a pretty great microphone! I am a bit confused on the mic options though when using the Tonedexter. Do you use the plugin mic options or do you just plug the ML-2 into the Tonedexter and use it as is?
Straight into TD and use as is. The software emulation that comes with is a plus for those doing their own DAW based recordings, but not used or needed for training a ToneDexter. The mic is more or less a blank slate (no pun intended) so that the emulation stuff can work well, and that's what makes it desirable for use as a training mic.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-17-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Straight into TD and use as is. The software emulation that comes with is a plus for those doing their own DAW based recordings, but not used or needed for training a ToneDexter. The mic is more or less a blank slate (no pun intended) so that the emulation stuff can work well, and that's what makes it desirable for use as a training mic.
Thanks James! I wasn't aware of this mic but it seems to be getting some great reviews. I might pick one up. I was holding out for the Shure SM81 but the amount of recording I do now is very limited so I am hesitant to spend that much on a mic.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Hey James

Has there been R & D into creating a stereo wave map.
At this point it might not be financially viable but Is it possible. Just curious if this is something that you are looking into for the future.

Regardless, My local tech, who is now a tonedexter dealer (Ken @ Mountain song guitars) is putting a K&K into a guitar for and we will create a wave map for the guitar when I pick it up. I look forward to checking out your product.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Hey James

At this point it might not be financially viable but Is it possible. Just curious if this is something that you are looking into for the future.

Regardless, My local tech, who is now a tonedexter dealer (Ken @ Mountain song guitars) is putting a K&K into a guitar for and we will create a wave map for the guitar when I pick it up. I look forward to checking out your product.
At this point and for the foreseeable future, a stereo WaveMap would mean 2 ToneDexters. We just don't see that the market would support the extra cost that would be necessary to provide stereo performance.

Say hi to Ken for me! I visited his shop when I was out that way in the spring.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Hey James

If you want this for recording, you can just record the pickup, then reamp the recording into ToneDexter twice, with different settings to produce left and right sides. I think I posted an example of this way back, using mics positioned as each half of spaced pairs for the training. It worked reasonably well, if I recall. I should try again.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
If you want this for recording, you can just record the pickup, then reamp the recording into ToneDexter twice, with different settings to produce left and right sides. I think I posted an example of this way back, using mics positioned as each half of spaced pairs for the training. It worked reasonably well, if I recall. I should try again.
Thanks for the tip but my inquiry was for live sound.
I currently run a dual source K&K with a certain degree of seperation beween the mic and mini. It sounds really good through most rigs, but I think the tonedexter would make it even better. I can run the Mini through it and keep the mic separated, just to have some semblance of the stereo/dual source sound. Might be overkill but can’t hurt to try it.

James response about supply and demand makes sense.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I understand, I'd like that too. I've used ToneDexter with my dual source setups, but it means using two preamps, which seems like overkill... It's my biggest tradeoff with TioneDexter, do I use it and get a good mono sound, or not use it and get a stereo sound, which is good in a different way? But I think James is correct, the number of preamps on the market that support dual source with a mic is tiny, and constantly shrinking. Clearly, it's a limited market.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
I don't have a high dollar condenser mic to do the wave maps on, so I haven't ordered one yet.
I just got my ToneDexter this last Thursday. I made wave maps with two inexpensive condenser mics, a Tascam small diaphragm and a Marantz MPM-1000 (semi-)large diaphragm.

The best were with the mics pointed at the 12th fret. The Tascam version is brighter than the Marantz version, but both are very good and much better than the raw output of my K&K Pure Mini.

In other words, you don't have to wait for a high-dollar mic.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification