The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-14-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Schoenberg Visit - Fairbanks, Circa, New Era, Stahl

I try to visit Schoenberg as often as I can, but that usually turns out to be a couple times a year.

I tried to play as much as I could, but these were the guitars that really stood out for me:

Fairbanks F-20S

This guitar is styled after a Gibson Argentine Gray L-2 of the 1929-1930 era. I don't know much about the original guitar, but this one is a real knockout in person. The gold sparkle purfling and the overall styling is gorgeous. This guitar is super light weight and oozes tone. It has a real sweet and balanced sound, the focus you would expect from smaller body size, and a wonderful played-in feel. The notes are rich and buttery smooth. They attack has a nice pop to it that isn't too harsh and boxy, which is what I really like. I thought it was one of the nicest sounding guitars in the shop. The whole instrument responded and vibrated with every note, and the notes had a wonderful bloom to them. That's the sign of a great guitar. Hold me back!

I also played John Slobod's Circa 00-12 long scale with maple back and sides. I absolutely love what John does with maple, and this guitar is no exception. Great projection, beautiful overtones, strong fundamental, great volume. Jaw dropping overall, just as I expected when I went in. James commented that he plays that guitar often. I'm not surprised. The overall feel wasn't, frankly, too dissimilar from the Fairbanks. The last time I played a maple Circa at Schoenberg and posted about it, that guitar was snapped up almost immediately. The owner is still in love. I imagine the same will be true about this one.

I've been playing a borrowed New Era Euphonon for the last couple of weeks, which I love. I wanted to try Tony's Seņorita model, because I knew it would be a Fahey machine. It's extremely responsive with and resonant, particularly considering it has very few playing hours on it. Huge, deep bass and gorgeous highs. Very different from what I'm used to playing, but for that reason very cool. I immediately went to open D and then open C to get my Fahey on. This guitar didn't disappoint. Huge, vibrant sound. A very lively guitar. I was very impressed. Any Fahey lover would lose their minds with this thing.

I had to play the Larson style 6 OM that was there. It's rare and amazing. It's in extremely good condition and plays great right out of the gate. The guitar projects like nuts and is super loud, just the way I like my Larsons. I had high expectations for this guitar and it didn't disappoint. For a Larson collector, this could be a holy grail for sure. I thought it looked good on paper, but I've heard real Larsons can be a bit hit-or-miss. This one is not only extremely playable but has incredible sound.

Another guitar I really loved was the Gibson Nick Lucas they had, in fantastic condition from 1935. Huge bass but with plenty of mids and treble to balance it out. This guitar would make a perfect all arounder. Very light, very lively and, again, the whole guitar vibrates when you play it.

I can't afford either of the last two, but the Fairbanks, Circa, and New Era really impressed me. Someone should really nab that Fairbanks. Not only is it crazy unique and glorious (look closely at the gold sparkle trim), but it is a serious tone machine. Just insane.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:26 PM

What a great day! Some beauties there for sure!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Smile Very fun Day!!!

You must have had a blast! All these are beautiful and must be the cream of the crop. Thanks for showing us all...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-15-2018, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

Nice guitars! Nice day! The only image missing is one of you with a very satisfied grin
Old 09-15-2018, 03:32 AM

Those are some killers there! I love the looks of those raised pickguards like the Fairbanks has, though I don't know how I'd get on with them in person. One of these days I'm going to visit that shop, along with the other great shops in Central California, but I'd better buy some more lottery tickets first.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:18 AM

Looks like an afternoon well spent! Always nice to see a Fairbanks out in the wild too. They're such special instruments.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:12 AM

Those would have been the guitars I would have played! We've the same taste in musical instruments.

When Dale was developing his L-2 model, I loaned him my 1931 original. That guitar didn't have the way cool pickguard, but a 1930 L-1 that I loaned him did.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Excellent set of guitars to audition. Wish I could make the trip but way too much going on. Just have to live vicariously. Thx for posting.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

That is a great place to visit. Friendly staff and really nice guitars. Thanks for the reviews.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Those are some killers there! I love the looks of those raised pickguards like the Fairbanks has, though I don't know how I'd get on with them in person. One of these days I'm going to visit that shop, along with the other great shops in Central California, but I'd better buy some more lottery tickets first.
Yeah, I need to start playing the lottery just to afford the cost of living around here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Looks like an afternoon well spent! Always nice to see a Fairbanks out in the wild too. They're such special instruments.
This was the first Fairbanks I've ever played, and it didn't disappoint. John Thomas is to blame for planting the seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Those would have been the guitars I would have played! We've the same taste in musical instruments.

When Dale was developing his L-2 model, I loaned him my 1931 original. That guitar didn't have the way cool pickguard, but a 1930 L-1 that I loaned him did.
I kinda figured you were behind that project! The photos don't do the gold binding justice. The pick guard wouldn't work for me because I tend to bring my fingers in to strike the strings from way out . . . and with fingerpicks. So I'd have to remove it, but that's easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Excellent set of guitars to audition. Wish I could make the trip but way too much going on. Just have to live vicariously. Thx for posting.
It was definitely worth the day off work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
That is a great place to visit. Friendly staff and really nice guitars. Thanks for the reviews.
Yeah, I love that shop. You can pick a $30,000 vintage guitar off the wall with no questions asked. James and Eric are gems.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

I love Schoenbergs!! James has helped me with a lot of small repairs and pickup installs over the years. I nearly always leave the shop having learned something new about acoustic guitars either through playing them or talking with Eric and James.

Great guys at a great shop!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Nice guitars! Nice day! The only image missing is one of you with a very satisfied grin
I don't want to ruin the vibe with my grinning face!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:36 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

That Circa is drool inducing.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Looks like Eric has a great selection right now.
The weather is perfect as well, so playing out on the porch is a must!

They are all drool worthy.....but man oh man......that Nick Lucas.....yes please!

Good on you for taking the day off and playing those incredible instruments.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, he's got a lot of great stuff. I love that shop. I never regret going there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop