The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Default Cordoba C10 questions

Do any of you guys own a Cordoba C10 or C12, or have you played either ? I would love to hear your impressions- how does either Cordoba sound acoustically, would you say the C10/ C12 is a full sounding 'loud' guitar acoustically, or something less ?
I've been hunting for a classical guitar for a month or so now, ideally looking for solid back and sides and ebony board although I'm now coming around to the idea of a crossover.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:53 AM

I have played and compared well the C9 and C10 crossovers. I actually preferred the C9, and its cheaper.

I ended up with a Camps however, first their crossover, and then later a full flamenco, as I liked them much more compared to the Cordobas.

I think you should play both full classical and flamenco guitars and get the feel for the neck, and then the crossovers. I found that I should have gone straight to the flamenco rather than pass a few months with a crossover. I love the full neck and find it much easier, plus, I find that crossover guitars generally don't get to the quality that classical or flamenco guitars do for the same price range.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 06-26-2018, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Haven't played a Camps, but have no idea what you're referring to regarding crossovers not being the same quality as standard classicals/flamencos. That has not been the case in my experience playing and owning the various brands that I've owned. Cordoba is one of he better manufacturers regarding consistency from model to model and instrument to instrument (which is why I've owned 12 of them). I've already told my local shop (who is now a Guild/Cordoba dealer) that I want one of the new Mini 2s (the cutaway specifically) as soon as they can get their hands on one.

I owned a C12 and it was top notch in every way. Loud, punchy, easy to play, and flawless fit&finish. I only sold it because I just don't play much classical any more. I much prefer my flamenco-oriented Cordobas. I love my F10, which is the flamenco "cousin" to the C10. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend the C9 or C10 to someone looking for a great classical at a great price.

Btw... I met Tim Mikloucic (Cordoba CEO/founder) in Bozeman, MT a few weeks ago when he attended a performance put on by Cordoba flamenco artist Ben Woods, at Music Villa. He was very personable and gave me his personal business card. Later on that afternoon, my wife and I had been down the street having dinner and when Tim and the owner of Music Villa walked by, Tim remembered my name and made it a point to say "hi" again. I have always been a Cordoba fan boy, and that experience didn't hurt that. They're not a perfect company, but none is and they're as close as it gets IMO. Also, my local shop here in Billings, MT has always been a proud Yamaha dealer and I always bought my Cordobas elsewhere. But now that they finally carry the line, they are seeing just how good they are and sales are brisk.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:38 AM
Guest 2143

I own a Cordoba C9 and chose it over a C10. I preferred the tone of the C9 and it felt lighter and more resonant. However, I recently went to a store that had a C7, C9, 45CO, and a Ramiriez R-1, and I thought the C7 sounded the best and projected the most. I think there is enough variation with each guitar model that the best you can do is try all the guitars you can and pick the one that most appeals to you.

I strongly prefer a proper classical guitar neck (52mm nut, 42mm string spacing) and 57-59mm string spacing at saddle when it comes to nylon string guitars, even when playing non-classical music. I owned a C9 crossover and loved the tone, but after playing it for a while did not get along with the 48mm nut and tighter string spacing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Guest 2143; 06-26-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:07 PM
Guest 2434

C9 parlor here. lovely guitar. I would've plumped to a C10 or C12 but there wasn't enough in it.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

C10 parlor here, also love it, it's my main nylon player now.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:01 AM

I have tow C10's. The first one is a cedar top and I liked it so much a year later I bought a spruce top. Both are excellent for the money and I can't say that I prefer one over the other. The spruce is LOUD, which I like. Both have loud basses.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I ordered the C10 crossover and sent it back two days later and I can't explain why....it just wasn't right. I ended up with a Madagascar RW /cedar from Chris Sobel of Washington state. It's one of his Conservatory models - it's a full classical but seems to play like a flamenco. Very nice instrument and sounds great. Check his website: C.E. Sobel Guitars. He's a member on the forum.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:07 AM

Yes, I also have the C10 crossover and while only a novice, I think the 48 mm is a bit tight. I now have the 3 Cordoba Parlors with a 50 mm nut. Love my parlors.
2021 Cordoba C9 Parlor Cedar Top
Cordoba Dolce

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical