The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Question ES2 + Anthem SL

Hi Guys! My first post here...

I’m from Brazil.. sorry for my english!

I have a Taylor 314ce with ES2 pickup... i love the acoustic tone of my guitar but i really hate how it sounds plugged. I tried several tweaks like screw ajustments, strings, amps, DI... but nothing worked as I would have liked

I’m thinking to buy the LR Baggs Anthem SL, but i would not like to drill a new hole to put a UST on my guitar... so I thought if it would be possible to connect the ES2 pickup to the anthem system instead the Element UST...

What do you think?
Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:33 AM

I don't think this would be a great solution. You'd be better off spending that money on a ToneDexter pedal, if you can get your hands on one. The Anthem SL is a different technology. A DIY type of person can modify the guitar to accept the Anthem, but I think you'll ruin the resale value of the guitar. My advice would be to find a floor pedal preamp system (like the ToneDexter) than can help deliver the results you want. Or, get another guitar without a pickup and have the Anthem installed. For what it's worth, I happen to really like the ES2. But, opinions on the ES2 vary depending on your needs and preferences.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 PM

I don’t like this idea. The ES2 is pretty good, add an IR or ToneDexter and it’s pretty great. The Anthem is good, but not that much better than the ES2, if at all. What you’re suggestion is a fairly invasive project.

Get a Tonedexter, Helix or sell it and get a guitar without a pick so you can install what you want.👍
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 07-06-2018, 05:27 AM

Unfortunatelly, ToneDexter and Helix is not avaliable here in Brazil... so they are not an option for me now... maybe I buy the LR baggs anthem and do some noninvasive testing before the final installation. If so, post the results here!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:47 AM

If you can’t do the ToneDexter and you aren’t worried about resale value, then it’s probably a good choice. I really dislike the ES2 pickup systems. They sound so dead to me. Just lifeless, which is a shame, because Taylor makes a nice guitar.

The Anthem is a great pickup system for sure. I have it on my Santa Cruz and I’m getting it installed on another guitar. It’s the system I’ll go with from here on out. I’ve not used the SL version, only the full Anthem.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:24 AM

I'd ship you one:
Tonedexter $400
AKG P170 condenser mic $100
Shipping $50
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 07-06-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I'd ship you one:
Tonedexter $400
AKG P170 condenser mic $100
Shipping $50
with customs duties, they would cost more than double the price of the anthem here in Brazil ... I think it would not be worth it... thanks!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
If you can’t do the ToneDexter and you aren’t worried about resale value, then it’s probably a good choice. I really dislike the ES2 pickup systems. They sound so dead to me. Just lifeless, which is a shame, because Taylor makes a nice guitar.

The Anthem is a great pickup system for sure. I have it on my Santa Cruz and I’m getting it installed on another guitar. It’s the system I’ll go with from here on out. I’ve not used the SL version, only the full Anthem.
if I sell this guitar some day, I can replace the ES2 again easily, so the resale price is not important ...
Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiny View Post
if I sell this guitar some day, I can replace the ES2 again easily, so the resale price is not important ...

Go for that Anthem then. It’s a wonderful pickup system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification