The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Default How to test a Powered PA head for bad channels

I have a powered Carvin PA head that I use in a place I play a lot. They provide passive speakers. I also own powered JBL speakers and a Fishman Artist amp.

Is there a way for me to test for bad channels on the powered Carvin head using either the JBLs or Fishman? I know I can't plug a powered head into powered speakers...
Here's why I need to test the head, 1 channel has a dead XLR, but the quarter inch on the same channel works.

Thanks in advance.
jricc.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:21 AM

Probably. Most powered mixers have a line level outputs (main and/or monitor, usually on the front) that can drive your powered speaker. Alternately, you could use a send which is also line level.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Probably. Most powered mixers have a line level outputs (main and/or monitor, usually on the front) that can drive your powered speaker. Alternately, you could use a send which is also line level.
Just so I understand, connect a cable from Main or Monitor out to powered speaker?
Thanks
jricc
Old 07-02-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Just so I understand, connect a cable from Main or Monitor out to powered speaker?
Thanks
jricc
Yes the head should have a stereo or mono line out so send that to the powered speaker. It's line level
Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

The monitor out should be a line level signal, send that to your powered speaker. One caveat, the head could have an option to split the power amp section so that half is for mains and half is for monitors.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:01 PM

If the unit is old, I would spray some deoxIT in the non functioning xlr input. We had a similar problem and this fixed it.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-02-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Thanks
jricc
Be careful. If you have a manual, look for outputs that are line level. On a powered head, odds are in favor of main outputs being powered. Monitor outs are more likely to be line level but as pointed out, Carvin may allow powered signal to the monitor outs so be sure you are set up for line level. If you can't be sure what your output is, key point is keep all head faders and speaker gain controls off and dial up slowly. Really easy to blow something up.

hunter
Old 07-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Thank you ALL For your help!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification