The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Default Seeking Preamp/DI Options

Right now I have a solid live setup that includes a SWR Strawberry Blonde amp that I XLR out from. I am extremely satisfied with my tone right now, however I am considering the potential value of having a more mobile rig for when I am plugging into a mixer.

The main things I need:

1) Effects loop with blend
2) EQ
3) XLR out

One that appears to fit the bill is the D-Tar Solstice but it seems rather uncommon since they are discontinued. What are some other options?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by H2O; 06-29-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:56 PM

Baggs Para DI fits that purpose.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:28 PM

The Solstice is well worth looking for! They are out there, and it is SO good! I have tried a lot and the Solstice wins every time.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:51 AM

There are so many great preamps w/an effects loop and good EQ but not many amps or preamps feature a blend control on the loop anymore. The Solstice is probably the best for your reqs, but it's envisioned more as a "blender" for multi-source than a single input preamp, but it can be used as a dual channel as well. I think you're probably right that it's the best pick for your needs but if you can't find it, here are some very good alternatives.

I would probably suggest the following in this order (based on my trials and reviews):

1. Radial Tonebone PZ Pre: Has the most power, headroom, and features of today's floor model preamps and is very flat response. Has a buffer for passive piezos (if needed), an effects loop, the legendary Radial DI transformer, two channels for toggling or mixing, a boost, a mute, and an effects loop. Built like a tank, no effects blend.

2. Baggs Venue: Has most of the same features as the PZ but single-channel, less robustly built than the Tonebone but a good alternative with many of the same features. Most users say the tuner is worthless, but it has a good EQ, boost, mute, and Baggs quality. Not as much power or headroom as the Tonebone and a weird shape but a lot of people love it. No effects blend.

3. Baggs Para DI: A classic model that has a lot of the same features as the Venue but can accept phantom power. No boost or mute and single channel. I think this works best with passive pickups (not a ton of headroom) but many artists use it with all sorts of pickup to much satisfaction. No effects blend.

4. BBE Acoustimax: Has a nice number of features, including EQ, Mute, Boost, Effects Loop...pretty much everything the PZ and Venue has. That said, the BBE Sonic Maximizer is a great feature that works really well with mags and soundboard transducers. Built like a tank but no effects blend.

5. Red-Eye Twin: Very popular on the forum with K&K users but works with anything and is phantom powerable. Dual channels, boost, mute, effects loop, and a simple "treble" control (probably similar to a "tone" knob). A lot of people say these boxes are pretty amazing.

I looked into Headway, as they make some great preamps too, but they didn't feature an effects loop on their nicer models. Here's a really good list of popular choices:

https://www.gearank.com/guides/acoustic-preamps
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

Last edited by MrErikJ; 07-03-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi H2O

Raven PMB I or PMB II.

It's the middle unit in these pictures...and I run it battery powered (2-9v batteries). I own one of each the Ravens...my go-to preamp for most gigs.

The bottom unit is the DTAR Solstice (and I own one of these too). It's a Sound Tech's delight, but does require more space, and external power. Both the Ravens and the DTAR have adjustable effects chains in the mix (from the preamp). I've used these for well over a decade now (and both still come up for sale on eBay, or other sources regularly and command top dollar).

Hope this adds to the discussion…I have owned MANY acoustic preamps, and only the Grace preamps would out perform these both in tone and feature categories.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification