The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 AM

Default CloseUp Mic system

Here is a new kid on the market

It seems to be an internal mic with a DSP processing and a training software ''similarl'' to Tonedexter. However it's not a FIR filter, since you don't record at the same time external and internal mic. It's smart EQuing.

CloseUp Mic web link

Note that they forgot to put Tonedexter on the map (lol)

Quote:
To create a custom profile, you’ll record a 30 second segment of your chosen piece or song (instrumental only, don’t add vocals) twice, once with the mic outside the instrument and once with the mic attached inside the instrument. Based on over a decade of acoustic research, our proprietary EzQ® algorithms will use these recordings to create a custom profile that is specific to your instrument, giving you the best possible sound. You can transfer this profile to the CloseUp® System’s memory, and also
save it to your computer for future use.
Note that it will give you a more "mic_like" response and "touch sensitivity" than Tonedexter.

A guy with a lyric/any internal mic could probably use an auto-EQ plug-in and achieve something similar with a good digital mixer (QSC touchmix, Behringer XR...)

my 2 cents
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 06-29-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post

However it's not a FIR filter, since you don't record at the same time external and internal mic. It's smart EQuing.

Cuki
Please forgive me Cuki, but just because it's IR is not derived by the same process as ToneDexter, does not mean it's not a FIR. Or is there some clue that it requires the poles of an IIR?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-29-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Please forgive me Cuki, but just because it's IR is not derived by the same process as ToneDexter, does not mean it's not a FIR. Or is there some clue that it requires the poles of an IIR?
That's true. Here is why I think it is not a FIR

1) The software enables you to add an EQ curve similar to what you have in any EQ plug-in. So a set of parametric and shelving filter that are IIR filters.

2) The unit works on 9V batteries that must indicate a rather low power consumption and thus less comptutational power. IIR filters are less compyter power consumming

3) The unit must have a way to fight feedback. The most sensible thing to do is to notch out the resonances around 100 Hz of the guitar. A notch is typically an IIR filter. If you ant to achieve the same performance in the low end register you would need a FIR filter with a huge number of taps...

So If I was designing such a box. I would use many IIR filters and just train them to fit the desired correction.

Note that FIR is possible:
*) Fishman Aura is able to work on a 9V battery (but not very long) but at the cost to run the blackfin DSP at 0.8V. They run a 2000 taps FIR filter and probably a IIR filter for the low end (maybe 2)

Article about Aura Blackfin DSP page 1

Article about Aura Blackfin DSP page 2

link for the biquad filter

But if I was using a FIR filter... I would train the internal & external mic with the same recording... as Tonedexter does. Doing two different recordings of 30s would not make sens.

Again, those are my 2 cents

PS: Another point for the IIRs. Let's say your run a DSP at very low voltage to save power. It means you need to scale down your signal. The signal you have from a mic within the guitar is full of low end. That's why the Lyric which benefits from resonance cancelling being a surface mic still needs a strong low end compression AND cut.

It means that because of the internal mic your signal to noise ratio is really bad. You have to fit your signal within 0.8v but have a lots of dynamic only taken by the low end... Which is not the case for the Fishman matrix signal that is rather balanced compared to the signal from an internal mic.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 06-29-2018, 02:42 PM

Finally,

but that's based my own experience...

* The advantage of an internal mic is the high end. I mean if you were going dual source, there is a high probability that you'd use the high end from the mic and the low end from the UST/SBT.

* FIR filters like Tonedexters are not "that" good for the high end. I think people with pickups like the amulet must have noticed that Tonedexter tends to "eat" the upper high end (air) of the pickup.

You don't have to ged rid of the quack for an internal mic. You mostly need to taylor the low end to avoid feedback and balance the overall response.

IIR filters are better and more efficient in the low end. (see previous links about Aura & blackfin DSP)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 06-30-2018, 07:16 AM

Thank you Cuki79!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

the technology looks wonderful, but the implementation looks ridiculous. If I'm to have a cable running outside my guitar there are many less expensive options.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:36 AM

It definitely looks interesting, but I’m pretty happy with the tonedexter right now.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:59 PM

Well I'm glad technology continues to attempt to solve the problem, but it looks as if this is more trouble than the Tonedexter to set up, costs more and (to my ear) does not sound as good, though it is hard to tell with that guitar. But I am a shameless Tonedexter owner and fan.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification