The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Default Does Passive JJB Volume Control Change Tone?

A few days ago I ran sound for a friend who had a passive JJB system, complete with volume control, in his Guild dread. I had a very difficult time EQing this system for a balanced tone (extremely muddy to begin with), and it felt like I was dealing with a moving target when he adjusted the volume level at his guitar.

I've always heard that passive volume controls with passive systems can change the tone of the signal (less treble at lower volume settings). Can any JJB users confirm or refute that claim?

In any event, I advised my friend to get a Boss GE-7 to use as an equalizer and preamp. I advised him to leave the JJB's volume control on max and use the GE-7's level control to adjust his volume. I also advised him to borrow a friend's SoloAmp to make the EQ adjustments needed for an even tone with that amp. That would at least get him in the ballpark for most situations.

I could have advised my friend to get a ToneDexter and let it make the necessary EQ adjustments. Penny-pincher that I am, however, I'd rather see him start his pickup-taming experiments with a cheap GE-7 off ebay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification