The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 AM

Default Store acoustic guitar in hard case or in the open?

I only play my acoustic guitar roughly once a month and am thinking if it would be a better idea to have it stored in the hard case or in the open? I live in Asia where the average humidity round the year is at 80% (though it's probably more like 50-60% inside the apartment).

And if it is a better idea to have the guitar stored in the case, would I need to leave a pack of guitar dehumidifer in the case?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old 03-04-2021, 10:08 AM

I am a leave it in the case type. Too many things could go wrong leaving it out and I hate a dusty guitar.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:39 AM

It's a guitar not an egg. Leave it out and play it.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-04-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

I've always cased my guitars and will continue to do so with my current environment with 2 very curious cats and a bruiser pre-teen in the house - although it certainly seems like I'm in the minority around here. If you are confident your heating/cooling system can keep the humidity within the desired zone, and there is little chance that pets, kids, etc. will be able to inflict damage while the guitar is hung on a wall or on a stand, there is nothing wrong with leaving it out. I do concede that a guitar hanging on the wall is a wonderful decorative touch and some people feel that having it within arm's reach makes it more likely that they will play more - speaking personally, fetching and opening the case has never been a barrier to playing for me, but everyone is different.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:48 AM

I'm a "leave it on a wall hanger" type, always ready for spontaneous play and to enjoy the decoration. But you need to know - not just guess - the indoor RH in your house and how it trends. Get a hygrometer, because knowledge is power. It always helps to know where you are located. The answers are very different in the Arizona desert than in tropical Hawaii.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talister106 View Post
I am a leave it in the case type. Too many things could go wrong leaving it out and I hate a dusty guitar.
I totally agree and I started a post about this a couple of months ago - but it seems this is a minority opinion - on this forum at least.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:16 PM

I leave mine out on wall hangers. Perhaps if you keep it out you will find yourself playing more than once a month!
Old 03-04-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I only play my acoustic guitar roughly once a month and am thinking if it would be a better idea to have it stored in the hard case or in the open? I live in Asia where the average humidity round the year is at 80% (though it's probably more like 50-60% inside the apartment).

And if it is a better idea to have the guitar stored in the case, would I need to leave a pack of guitar dehumidifer in the case?

Once a month? Case it. Not really much to talk about there, and I leave mine out all the time, but I play most days.

If humidity is 50-60% you're in the good zone, but edging toward overly humid. Optimal is 45-55%. Just monitor humidity in the case.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:33 PM

I used to leave it in the open but now leave it in the case. It's a great buffer for temperature and humidity changes. It also keeps the dust off.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:34 PM

If it's once a month, put it in the case with humidipaks and a hygrometer to check the humidity. Can't imagine leaving it on the wall where the humidity averages 80%.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I have mine on the wall, because I play multiple times through the day, and I like to see them. But I live in a temperate climate, where the relative humidity is pretty easy to regulate. You mentioned the RH is "probably" 50-60%. A hygrometer is inexpensive and will help you decide if you need to case it or not (or get a dehumidifier). If you only play once/month, and would still do that if it were out where you can see it, leaving it in the case (still with a hygrometer) makes sense.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:19 PM

I leave mine out on stands on both sides of the TV. Other wise I just won't dig them out and play on a regular basis. On low humidity days they go back to their cases.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post

Guitar safety 101 - Guitar in case. Case situated so that it can't fall.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:37 PM

As a rule I don't play the same guitar 2 days in a row. I have 4 acoustics I rotate through and sometimes will through in a fifth. All of them are kept in a case. Even with the controlled humidity in the house, they go in the case.

I am looking at building a small studio this spring/summer. It will have humidity control in it also. Just depends on how I heat it.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-04-2021, 02:29 PM

If it's not in my hands it's in the case, period...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion