The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-02-2021, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Boing?

I was sitting down in the basement doing something totally non guitar related when I hear a crack and a boing. Like a string boing right behind me from the vicinity of my Taylor. I got it down, inspected it, nothing cracked, nothing lifting, no pins coming up or looking out of the ordinary. I checked the Yamaha next to it, nothing caught my eye. It looked fine. So I strummed the Taylor and the B string was way out of tune. Like G# out of tune. The other strings were in tune. The only thing I can think of is the string wasn't seated in the nut and it snapped into place, or the string slipped on the tuner. But I cut them pretty short when I put new strings on which was a month or so ago and it appeared that there was the same amount of tail as I usually leave. It has been playing fine and staying in tune since I changed strings.

Further information, temp 70 degrees and humidity at 51%. It stays constant 24/7.

I'm not particularly concerned, I just thought it might be worth commenting on.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-02-2021, 12:29 PM

I’ve had that happen but usually right after I change strings. I wonder if the ball end wasn’t snug to the underside of the bridge? I wouldn’t worry about it if it’s staying in tune now.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I’ve had that happen but usually right after I change strings. I wonder if the ball end wasn’t snug to the underside of the bridge? I wouldn’t worry about it if it’s staying in tune now.
Yeah that's exactly my suspicion as well.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I've had this happen too: the ball end was caught on the end of the bridge pin, and when the string tension got high enough it snapped down. It also put a crack in the guitar's bridge plate when that happened. Which sucked. I'd check for that.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapus View Post
I've had this happen too: the ball end was caught on the end of the bridge pin, and when the string tension got high enough it snapped down. It also put a crack in the guitar's bridge plate when that happened. Which sucked. I'd check for that.
Thank you for that advice. I checked the bridge carefully and it looks fine. But I'm betting that is what happened, the ball end was hung up on the pin.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Old 03-06-2021, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Thank you for that advice. I checked the bridge carefully and it looks fine. But I'm betting that is what happened, the ball end was hung up on the pin.
Just to be sure that I was clear, not the bridge, but the bridge plate, which normally cannot be inspected without a mirror on a stick.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

I suspect that most have found the cause - being the ball end not properly secluded by the bridgeplate.

However, I did have one traumatic situation with an elderly Martin D12-35 when the bridgeplate failed sending the heavier G string way out of tune at about three or four songs into a concert.

That put an end to my planned repertoire featuring a 12 string number over few songs.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapus View Post
Just to be sure that I was clear, not the bridge, but the bridge plate, which normally cannot be inspected without a mirror on a stick.
I got you now. Retired airplane mechanic here, I have inspection mirrors, with lights on them. I got in there and looked. Everything looks good. Thanks again for the tip. It is good to know. Also it was interesting looking around in there with the mirror. There is a lot going on. No cracks though and that is good. I came through unscathed.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Old 04-02-2021, 11:59 AM

The first time I restring a guitar, all of the bridge pins get a 45° bevel on the end along with the usual cleaning,oiling, etc of a new guitar. I just use an old piece of sandpaper and hold the pin at the correct angle and sand until it’s right.

Search stewmac’s trade secrets for “Chopping the ends off bridgepins” and you can see exactly why it can help avoid the string getting hung on the pin.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write