The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2021, 02:22 AM

It is an inevitable consequence of a successful company growing and maturing. Yes, it's sad to see the values and virtues get eroded by the slow transition to a marketing-driven giant corporation, but it was always going to happen, and Taylor seems to be trying hard to maintain as much of the good stuff as they can.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:01 AM

Perhaps not inevitable but certainly typical when the original genius reaches retirement age and wants to cash in on their life's work, i.e. Mesa. Sometimes the second generation owner has the same drive, passion and vision of the creator but often they do not thus leading them down the ill-fated corporatization path of more, more, more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
It is an inevitable consequence of a successful company growing and maturing. Yes, it's sad to see the values and virtues get eroded by the slow transition to a marketing-driven giant corporation, but it was always going to happen, and Taylor seems to be trying hard to maintain as much of the good stuff as they can.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:32 AM

ya their marketing is over the top. Like someone else said I do not like to be sold. But one thing I have never understood about Taylor since Andy got there. Andy has serious flatpick bluegrass chops. I mean he can hang with the best. But his designs stray far from what any bluegrass player would ever consider. And I cannot understand why.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:23 AM

During the course of my not inconsiderable number of years on the planet I have discovered, to my delight, that everyone's product, irrespective of what it is, is the best in the world and will wash whiter, smell better, tell me what time it is more accurately and sound better than anything I could possibly imagine.
What a wonderful world.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
During the course of my not inconsiderable number of years on the planet I have discovered, to my delight, that everyone's product, irrespective of what it is, is the best in the world and will wash whiter, smell better, tell me what time it is more accurately and sound better than anything I could possibly imagine.
What a wonderful world.

When I'm watching my TV
And a man comes on and tells me
How white my shirts can be
Well he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-09-2021, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

You'd think with all that market research someone could have told Taylor that their headstock design is pretty naff !!!! There must be so much windage from that paddle that it would tear your arm off at an outside gig here in Wales!

Perhaps their next super tech invention could be a more normal looking headstock.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:16 AM

What does it mean, this "naff !!!!" ?

Does it really require the exclamation marks as part of the term ?

I take it it doesn't mean "Wicked Cool" ?

Would I then have to have a multiple headstock transplant to stay 'wicked cool' ?

A veritable headstocktomy ?

Would it cost double for 12 string guitars ?

"I can't get no . . . , I can't get no . . . "

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-09-2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I remember the time when you went out looking for a Taylor guitar now it feels like their out looking for you.
Well, I have the privilege to live just 30 minutes away from one of Taylor's authorized dealers. Not that hard
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 02-09-2021, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

That's pretty much what any and all magazines are, lots of advertising and paid gear reviews passed off as content. At least the Wood & Steel is free.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-09-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtodd71 View Post
So a manufacturer of retail goods puts effort into selling their products to the public and that's not cool? You realize that you made this observation and posted it on an electronic device that has systems that track your every move, what you read about, look at, buy, or shared along with personal data of exactly who you shared it with, all in a giant highly elaborate scheme that is known as "surveillance marketing"... to get you to buy from,...whoever/whatever company pays for the data collected on you. Why do you think there's an easy access link at the top right of this page that reads "Miami Guitars"? Could sales and profits be driving the guitar market? Could it be that the good folks at Miami guitars would like you to buy something from their store? If Taylor guitars are not your taste, fine, don't buy one, but I think it's not appropriate not criticize them for trying to sell what they make.
Actually, my point was that Taylor is fantastically good at selling. Which is not a bad thing, especially if the products you sell are excellent, which is the case with Taylor.

But Taylor, of late, seems to be really dialing up the selling, although not in an overt way. In fact, it's the opposite of overt, which is where the real skill comes into play. And they have that skill in abundance.

My sense is that they're selling Andy Powers even harder than ever. Which raises the question of whether there's been a customer backlash against V-Class, etc.

Comments from Taylor fans on AGF would seem to indicate that not everyone is enthralled with Andy's World. And perhaps that's driving the harder sell.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Taylor seems to be selling a lifestyle associated with their guitars these days. The models and marketing presentations are impressive to say the least.

What turned me off to Taylor was buying a new 2017 K-22 for close to $5K that was built with X-bracing and then having the marketing team 6-7 months later tell me via Wood and Steel articles and Andy Power podcasts how “chaotic” they found X-bracing to be and how V-bracing was going to be the new standard. Left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth and I think to some degree they have been burned a bit by the pushback.

I also don’t like their sales policies regarding small dealers. I’ve spoken to several dealers who were forced to drop the line because they could not live with (or afford) Taylor’s onerous stocking requirements. Seems out of spirit if you read Bob Taylor’s book as it was small mom & pop dealers that gave Bob and Kurt a chance and helped them get started. I emailed Taylor that I was not happy to have only Guitar Center stores as my only option for service and their response was that I could take my Taylors to other dealers that were 4-5 hours away from where I live (the New Orleans area).

I was fully onboard with them (814, 522, 812, K-22, 562, 714, GS Mini, BBT, BT, T3, T5 are Taylor models I have had but no longer own) but have pretty much permanently drifted away. I will say I enjoyed the experience with every Taylor I owned but after I bought my first Collings, I knew tonally there was more out there.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 02-09-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:05 AM

Default Taylor: The Sound of Marketing

I thinks it’s safe to assume Taylor is doing very well. They make great guitars across a wide spectrum of price points and they do a great job making emotional connections between their customers and the brand. Regardless of your tone or brand preferences, the positioning and brand perception Taylor is striving for is clearly working for them.

When I started re-learning to play a few years ago I was determined to buy a Taylor. My brand perception was strong and I wanted to own a piece of it. But other than a short period where I bought a used GS Mini I have not owned a Taylor. The GS Mini was a fun and great guitar, just a bit small for me.

My preference is to stay a little south of Taylor’s price points for all-solid guitars. I feel better about the value I get, but I know that if I played the Taylor high end stuff I’d be blown away.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 02-09-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
I've been an advertising writer and creative director for over 30 years, and I know good ad copy when I see it.

Taylor is masterful at it, as evidenced every few months or so in the glossy, self-congratulatory, official party organ known as "Wood & Steel."

And a big part of being masterful is this: selling while you appear to be doing other things.

Beneath all the earnest, helpful, "authentic" copy of "Wood & Steel" is a finely-tuned, but hard-driving, selling machine.

Nothing at all wrong with this. Not remotely. I devour "Wood & Steel" along with so many of us. And I've owned more than a few wonderful Taylor guitars.

But, since the rise of V-Class and Andy Powers, the selling feels like it's gotten more determined, more strident, even a little defensive.

Which makes me wonder if things are as truly sunny in Taylor Land as they are made to seem.
Your point about “Wood and Steel” being a “finely tuned, but hard driving, selling machine” is so accurate. In fact, it’s a brilliant tool that has sold more Taylor guitars than one might imagine.

Bob Taylor in his “Mr. Riogers” oh shucks style, is a marketing mastermind and while I would never own a Taylor, I appreciate his gift and brilliance as a marketer.

Joining with Andy was his biggest marketing blunder in his career, IMO. He didn’t need him, and he’s alienated more people than he’s attracted, still IMO.

It appears you’ve noticed that and brought it up for discussion. Well done.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-09-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
What turned me off to Taylor was buying a new 2017 K-22 for close to $5K that was built with X-bracing and then having the marketing team 6-7 months later tell me via Wood and Steel articles how “chaotic” Andy found X-bracing to be and how V-bracing was going to be the new standard. Left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth and I think to some degree they have been burned a bit by the pushback.

I also don’t like their sales policies regarding small dealers. I’ve spoken to several dealers who were forced to drop the line because they could not live with Taylor’s onerous stocking requirements. Seems out of spirit if you read Bob Taylor’s book as it was small mom & pop dealers that gave Bob and Kurt a chance and helped them get started. I emailed Taylor that I was not happy to have only Guitar Center stores as my only option for service and their response was that I could take my Taylors to other dealers that were 4-5 hours away from where I live (the New Orleans area).

It’s sad. I was fully onboard with them (814, 522, 812, K-22, 562, 714, GS Mini, BBT, BT, T3, T5) but have pretty much permanently drifted away.
Agree that denigrating X-bracing was not a good look for them. And still isn't.

However scientifically validated, the whole V-Class episode carries the unmistakable fragrance of snake oil.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 02-09-2021, 09:32 AM

Just so we're using our denigrating terms correctly:
Quote:
Snake oil: a substance with no real medicinal value sold as a remedy for all diseases.
Essentially, something that claimed to cure diseases, but in actuality did nothing.

One can like or dislike v-bracing, but one thing *no one* has claimed is that it made no difference.

With regards to Bob and Andy, Bob's been very clear that he pursued Andy to join Taylor, and sees him as his heir apparent. In numerous interviews Bob acknowledges his own mortality, and that he wants to see Taylor in good hands moving forward and has great respect for Andy. I think seeing his friend Bill Collings pass drove home the point.

Just like v-bracing, one is free to like/dislike Andy Powers. But to claim that Bob bringing Andy aboard was a "marketing blunder" mischaracterizes what happened, and Bob's goal in Andy with regards to the future of the company, completely.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion