The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 02:43 PM

If it isn't out I don't play it. Mine is always out on a stand, so I can grab it throughout the day...typically several times a day it finds its way into my hands. PLUS, and this is a HUGE plus...I love looking at it!

scott
Old 03-04-2021, 02:45 PM

Keeping it in its case will look after it a lot better. if the humidity where you are is 80% plus leaving it out is a huge no no
Old 03-04-2021, 02:48 PM

If it's solid wood construction (not a yamaha c-40 or similarly laminated) keep it in the case. The humidipaks don't really pull down the humidity very much though, according to my hygrometer.

I once put a silica gel pack in with one side of the humidipak and let them fight it out inside the case. The silica gel is very strong and pulled it down, then the humidipak went into hydration mode to bring it up to exactly 50%.

That one side hardened faster than the other since it was fighting the silica gel.

I wouldn't do it again though, worry so much about dehumification. Just let the humidipak do whatever it does. I built a cabinet however it was exposed to the unfinished basement on one side, so it inherited that temperature. Ditched that idea and keep them out in the finished part of the room in their cases. This summer I will be running a room dehumidifier and run the line into the tub, I can't win.

You also have to pay attention to temperature, if you have 50% RH but your room is 60 degrees or less you'll get a crack.

All this and my C-40 sounds better than it has any right to exposed to every environment for 30 years. I don't believe they make them with that kind of mahogany any more though, some cheaper wood these days.

Though they are all in cases and entangled in humidipaks, I don't mind as much as I thought pulling out 2, 3, 4 guitars in one evening. I just take them out, what's the problem? It takes like an hour to warm up and reconnect with the thing anyway. I don't get hit with inspiration.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:48 PM

If you can leave your guitar out of the case and there's no chance of damage to it (kids/pets knocking it off the stand/hanger) then no problem leaving it out. If you want to keep the humidity under control then you may want to keep it in the case.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:52 PM

Being a clumsy person, my instruments sustain plenty of damage when I'm actually playing, so they're in the case otherwise. Also, winter humidity is around 30% in the house, so it's easier to humidify, too.

D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 03-05-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If it's not in my hands it's in the case, period...
True in my house - after seeing my guitar fall off a top bunk in a college dorm and, a few years later, breaking the neck of a guitar that wasn’t mine my instruments stay in their cases now days. Less drama.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:57 PM

My biggest concern is you only playing it once a month. That’s abuse to a guitar!
Old 03-04-2021, 05:19 PM

I live in the south east and have almost the same humidity percentage inside that you do and I’ve never had a problem leaving any of my guitars out.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I put all guitars in their cases when I'm not playing them or taking a short break from playing one.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:58 PM

My guitars are cased.

I’ve never had a dent or ding put on one while in the case. I am careful when it comes out or goes back in because I know that’s important.

I don’t need it out to play it more, I can use the exercise expended putting it back and since I also wipe my strings and guitar every time I play it, putting it in the case isn’t a huge deal.

There isn’t a better way, there’s only your way. Make your choice based on your risk tolerance.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

All but one of mine sit on stands, but I play them daily except the cased 12 string which only comes out about once every couple months.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I only play my acoustic guitar roughly once a month and am thinking if it would be a better idea to have it stored in the hard case or in the open? I live in Asia where the average humidity round the year is at 80% (though it's probably more like 50-60% inside the apartment).

And if it is a better idea to have the guitar stored in the case, would I need to leave a pack of guitar dehumidifer in the case?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
I have left an inexpensive acoustic out hanging on the wall but a nice solid wood guitar is in the case especially in humid, dusty environments.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

I'm a case guy. I don't understand the , If I don't see it I don't play it mentality. If I don't play I go into withdrawals.
If you don't have time to open the case. Just curious, do you have time to tune it?
My guitars go in and out of the case multiple times a day, every day. As well as get tuned multiple times each session. My guitars like to have a nice place to sleep. So when I finish my session, in the case they go.
Call me crazy, but I treat my guitars like living creatures. I don't hang them on the wall by the neck. Just like I don't hang my dog on the wall. My dog has a nice bed to sleep in. So do my guitars.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:56 AM

In my household, the threats are kids, dogs and bad luck. I keep my guitars in their cases when they are not in my hands.

No regrets!

Jerry
Old 03-05-2021, 06:11 AM

I'm another "in the case" kind a guy so most of the time,, so that's where they are when not in use.

During the winter months with low RH, I'm pretty diligent with humidification as well.

I don't quite buy into the "if it's in the case, it won't be played"

What does it take to get the case out of where it is, open it up and take the guitar out? 20 seconds? 30? is that REALLY a hindrance to playing it? Somehow, I can't see that as true.

Last edited by rmp; 03-05-2021 at 06:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion