The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-04-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Not all yogurt is processed the same way.
Whole milk Greek Yogurt with nothing added is extremely beneficial , high in nutrients, digestive aids and very high in protein. Many nutritionists have changed their tune on the need for low fat yogurt.
Plant-based diets are very healthy, but you can’t build the kind of muscle I want on them...at least not practically.
Milk products such as whole milk, plain Greek yogurt, whole milk cottage cheese and protein powder supplements are important contributors to my higher protein needs. It’s my life choice for nutrition and it works for me. No, I’m not a purist and don’t wish to be.
I am 71 and pretty muscular... working on the bodyfat reduction... no brag just fact. Most people guess me to be mid to late fifties.
No worries, if you want to eat yogurt, go for it! All I'm saying is that for anyone trying to lose fat and be healthy, what I said above works all day long and it's WAY less complicated than current diet trends make it seem like it needs to be. And what I described above is not a plant-based diet, it's closer to a true mediterranean diet.

I get that this thread is about reducing fat in bodybuilding, and most bodybuilders and seniors don't buy into simple diets as I describe. The reality, however, is that there are any number of top-level bodybuilders who eat a plant based diet and are huge. The "protein" thing in the current zeitgeist is massively overblown, people just don't need as much as they think, and they get way more than they realize.

Folks in the senior age bracket do need more protein. Culturally, they also seem to have a particular aversion to any perceived "reduction" in protein (eating less meat). But the reality is that one can get easily enough protein from diets which include little or no meat for both athletic and bodybuilding results, let alone for general health. And they're unequivocally healthier in the long term.

All that said, I realize I will convince no one, and please continue with your discussion, my comments were less directed at you than others who might read this thread.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsay777 View Post
Dr. Mark Hyman is an excellent medical professional to take advice from. He has many books but he also has Podcasts, interviews on YT etc. Free.
Many doctors who study these things in depth disagree strongly with Dr. Hyman on a great number of topics. I would be very careful listening to anything he says. It can't all be wrong, but enough of it is such demonstrable quackery that nothing he says should be heeded without tremendous skepticism.

http://www.sheilakealey.com/nutritio...trust-2/#Hyman
Old 03-04-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
I've nearly always been a big guy, but I hit my max last fall, when I peaked at 313 and that's on a 5' 11" frame. Finally got disciplined with my eating and started walking 2-3 miles everyday. So since October, I am down 43 lbs to 270. My goal is to get under 200. I know that's going to take a while but that's OK cause it took me a while to get that heavy.

No real magic on the diet. Like someone said earlier - real food, mostly plant based, and less of it. I am doing a version of intermittent fasting as I have my first meal about 11am and dinner at about 6. Nothing else for the rest of the day. Very little sugar, no processed food, limited grains/starches. Mostly clean proteins, low glycemic veggies, occasional fresh fruit. I've never drank sweetened sodas so that's not an issue. I do miss beer though. Once I get down to goal I should be able to have the occasional beer or 2.

I'm starting to hit the weights again and that feels good. My belly is nearly gone and my energy levels are greatly increased. I'm committed to making this a long-term lifestyle change because at 55, if I don't, it's going to really take a toll. I'd like the last period of my life to be active and healthy and this is the best chance of that happening.
Sounds like you're on an awesome path! Congrats on the losses (gains!) so far, and wishing you the best of luck losing the rest. Trust me, when you get down to the weight zone you want to be in, it's actually pretty easy and you can happily have a few beers on occasion.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:21 PM

Not sure if this is true...
Years ago I read that when asked how he lost so much weight,
John Lennon simply answered, "Don't eat"
Now when some friend complains of their weight,
I tell them to use the John Lennon diet.

I mean no harm or disrespect to those members struggling with weight gain.
Sometimes we just need some light non-technical humor
Old 03-04-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Just a personal opinion, the BMI chart is at best, a “proximity to reality”..
Yep. Said so about three times in that post you are responding to
Old 03-04-2021, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Congrats rokdog for the sensible and conscientious way that you've approached weight loss...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-04-2021, 04:45 PM

I'm on a relatively strict KETO diet and have been since around the beginning of the year. I've purposely avoided my typical workout just to isolate the effects the diet has on my weight and general sense of well-being. I'm 6'1" and 214 lbs. I've lost almost 15 pounds since started and feel great. Hard to argue with a diet that stresses avoiding insulin resistance (IR) and metabolic syndrome, major contributors to global obesity and diabetes.

I've been following Dr. Sten Ekberg and he has a lot of very interesting and very true information for free on his YouTube channel. I recommend his video on corn and rice for sure, very interesting if you ask me.

I'm not advocating KETO for anyone here but certainly think many things about the diet a very good for you. Avoiding metabolic syndrome by strict avoidance of sugar just for starters sounds like a good idea to me, but it does take discipline. I'm still learning a lot but it definitely has me eating more vegetables and whole foods.

Oh, KETO isn't just for reversing body fat that you can see- it is also proven to reverse non-alcohol fatty liver disease.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Anybody else getting ready for the warmer weather and looking and feeling better?
Definitely. Days are getting longer already, and after a winter of slogging it on the trainer with the occasional weekend ride, I'm starting to get outside more now. One cool thing was I did my first night-time mountain bike ride this winter, and that was a game-changer! Climb up in the twilight, descend in the dark. Bike lights are incredible now-a-days, you can do any terrain with the right setup.

Still carrying some weight from the winter, but I've carried aerobic and endurance fitness through the winter better this year than ever, and in the last week the form has really turned the corner. Looking forward to a great summer season of riding and surfing. Feeling great, feeling strong. As far as looking better, well, the looks are never going to be what they used to be, sadly!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
No worries, if you want to eat yogurt, go for it! All I'm saying is that for anyone trying to lose fat and be healthy, what I said above works all day long and it's WAY less complicated than current diet trends make it seem like it needs to be. And what I described above is not a plant-based diet, it's closer to a true mediterranean diet.

The "protein" thing in the current zeitgeist is massively overblown, people just don't need as much as they think, and they get way more than they realize.
Well, I disagree with that last paragraph in it’s entirety so that ends that part of the discussion.
This is based on tons of research done on the need for more protein to effectively build muscle mass.
As far as the Mediterranean Diet, I pretty much adhere to a form of that plus some dairy, which is allowable.

The main components of Mediterranean diet include:

“Daily consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and healthy fats
Weekly intake of fish, poultry, beans and eggs
Moderate portions of dairy products
Limited intake of red meat.”

From the Mayo Clinic:

Eating the Mediterranean way

Interested in trying the Mediterranean diet? These tips will help you get started:

Eat more fruits and vegetables. Aim for 7 to 10 servings a day of fruit and vegetables.
Opt for whole grains. Switch to whole-grain bread, cereal and pasta. Experiment with other whole grains, such as bulgur and farro.
Use healthy fats. Try olive oil as a replacement for butter when cooking. Instead of putting butter or margarine on bread, try dipping it in flavored olive oil.
Eat more seafood. Eat fish twice a week. Fresh or water-packed tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel and herring are healthy choices. Grilled fish tastes good and requires little cleanup. Avoid deep-fried fish.
Reduce red meat. Substitute fish, poultry or beans for meat. If you eat meat, make sure it's lean and keep portions small.
Enjoy some dairy. Eat low-fat Greek or plain yogurt and small amounts of a variety of cheeses.
Spice it up. Herbs and spices boost flavor and lessen the need for salt.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-04-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
...I mean no harm or disrespect to those members struggling with weight gain.
Sometimes we just need some light non-technical humor
Back in the day when such ads were regular fare in the back pages of comic books, sports magazines, etc. there was a running joke about a "tried and proven method, guaranteed to help you lose 20 pounds of dangerous ugly fat quickly and easily - first developed by an 18th-century physician, and used successfully by the French Royal Court":

Old 03-04-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you're on an awesome path! Congrats on the losses (gains!) so far, and wishing you the best of luck losing the rest. Trust me, when you get down to the weight zone you want to be in, it's actually pretty easy and you can happily have a few beers on occasion.
Thanks Dirk! I'm feeling good and looking forward to hitting goal.

BTW, I had an uncle on my Mom's side named Dirk .
Old 03-04-2021, 11:47 PM

I’m 75 yrs old, 6ft tall, and was 188 lbs a week ago.

I’m now 184 and targeting a goal of 178 where I hope to stay. Really just trying to eliminate my big gut.

Carbs and sugar are history and the weight comes off fast. Making it on around 1500 calories/day.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Many doctors who study these things in depth disagree strongly with Dr. Hyman on a great number of topics. I would be very careful listening to anything he says. It can't all be wrong, but enough of it is such demonstrable quackery that nothing he says should be heeded without tremendous skepticism.

http://www.sheilakealey.com/nutritio...trust-2/#Hyman
Very valuable link. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2021, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Maybe his "alternatives" speak to some people, but I certainly hope most of us rely on medicine backed by scientific research.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:49 AM

I have turned an unhealthy over weight body into a perfect weight normal blood pressure healthy body. (verified at the annual med check up) by using advice from some of the previously mentioned "Quacks"

Intermittent fasting
Mostly plant based diet
medium protein
limiting carbs
fiber rich foods
Dr recommended supplements

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic