The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 10:50 PM

Default G7th Performance 3 Capo...

I have an older Performance 2 Capo which I really like. It doesn't seem to mute the neck much and I have minimal issues with tuning and string pressure when using it.

Wondering if anyone has upgraded to the latest Perfomance 3 model and if there's any significant difference in tone and functionality versus the Performance 2. I've also considered the Heritage capo... but wondering if the cost is worth it sonically. Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2021, 11:38 PM
AGF Administrator

I recently started using the P3 after using the P2 for some time. The P3 is larger and heavier and I haven't noticed any significant difference in tone. If you aren't having issues with your P2, it's probably not worth the upgrade in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:47 PM

G7th Performance 3 Capo...

Based on my outrageously positive experience with the G7th Newport 12 string capo with compensated string pad, I ordered a Performance 3 capo untested. Mostly based on what I read about the Adaptive Radius Technology, which bends the pad according to the neck radius. Read up on the A.R.T. at the G7th website.

It took a bit of practice to get used to it, but I like it so much now that I ordered a second one with the keltic engraving on it, specifically to use it with DADGAD tuning.

In the issue of tuning, I never have to re-tune using either the Performance 3 or the Newport 12 capo.

Unfortunately, I never owned or used a Performance 2, so I have no basis of comparison to that capo.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 03-05-2021, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

I've got both the Nashville and the P2. Cant see that they're any better than the Kyser's. Don't see wasting $55.00 on another one.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:54 AM

got a hand full of newports, one is for my 12 string, the others are standard, drop d and short cut.

they are great!

I rarely use my kysers now,

I still use my Thalias they are nice, and when you need to move them quickly they work great, but they are twice the bulk and weight of the newports
Old 03-05-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Try a Heritage. By far the best capo G7Th makes.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:00 AM

I also have the Performance 2 (came with my last guitar purchase) and agree that it's a nice capo. In your shoes I wouldn't upgrade to the 3 unless you're dying to spend some money.

Yoke capos tend to be better by design, and I have heard only good things about the Heritage. I have a McKinney/Elliott and the guitar pitch is unaltered. However, there is no such thing as a quick change, and the price of either of these capos is considerable.

People have different levels of sensitivity to recognizing capo pitch changes, as well as different levels of frustration with inaccurate pitch. I have a friend who works all the time, is a fine musician with a large, expensive guitar collection and uses a $15 capo. He simply re-tunes his low E string every time and is happy as a clam.

You've got a fine capo that's doing a good job for you. Congratulations. In your shoes I'd play on.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-05-2021, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
My thoughts exactly...

I actually like the original G7th....I also have a P2 (I liked the mechanism on the P1 better).....I have a P3 with ART and a compensated 12 string pad.

But I also have a heritage - other than the lack of instantaneous attachment, it is far and away the best capo they make. It is tiny and delicate but strong and accurate and just perfecti n every way

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-05-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
yea but.. mucho dinero.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I've had all three generations of G7 capos, and never had a problem with any of them, either mechanically, or functional. Never re-tune, and they are so quick and easy. I do prefer the 2 and 3s, just because the release is easier to use with one hand. I find them just as quick and easy to change as a Kyser, and you can be gentle on the neck and frets. I don't have a Heritage, but do have an Eliot which is the similar design. I don't find any benefit to the yoke design, and it is much more cumbersome to change. (and pay for!)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 AM

I'm new to the G7th world. After using Schubb for decades, I sprung for a G7th Heritage for bluegrass. The tone is fabulous and I haven't had to retune once. Does the P2 have the ART technology? If so then there's perhaps not much difference between the 2 and 3 ?? Hopefully someone with experience with both will chime in.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
yea but.. mucho dinero.
If you want a similar capo but don't want to pay as much I recommend Barry Sheridan Collins on facebook. $68 delivered for a fine Elliot Style capo. You'll just have to wait several months to get it. Still spendy for some but worth it.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
I'm new to the G7th world. After using Schubb for decades, I sprung for a G7th Heritage for bluegrass. The tone is fabulous and I haven't had to retune once. Does the P2 have the ART technology? If so then there's perhaps not much difference between the 2 and 3 ?? Hopefully someone with experience with both will chime in.
The P2 gained the easy-release lever, that I find really useful for one-handed operation. The P3 then gained the ART technology. I never had radius or detuning issues with 1 or 2, and that using them on even old telecasters with 7.25" radius necks. I still have and use all three generations, and they've never failed or had issues.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-05-2021, 08:41 AM

Two personal observations.

A yoke style capo, IMO, is the perfect capo design, putting downward pressure on the strings to minimize pulling out of tune.

Combine that with the G7th Heritage ART send you have the design paired with the first technological advance in capos since the pencil and rubber band was introduced.

I’m glad you asked about sonic differences in capos. I’ve owned many and the Heritage was the first capo to ever sound like I wasn’t using one. I’d buy it for this alone, but when you combine that with the ART, it’s a slam dunk.

When you get the Heritage you’ll find that you’re tightening it fear less than any other capo you may have used, and that also aids in keeping your guitar in tune when using the capo.

Good luck.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion