The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-28-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Dropping down an octave to sing a note sometimes work. Check out this Mumford and Sons cover of Bruce Springsteens' "I'm on Fire" and listen to him when he drops down on the word "fire." Haven't heard the original in awhile, so I'm not sure if it's an octave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ri23fCeRE8
It's down a perfect fourth.

I have no trouble with changing the key for a singer's range (I do it all the time myself). I just find that playing a song in its original key and dropping the vocal a full octave most often drains the song of its intended emotional impact. YMMV.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 02-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I played dobro and sang 3rd harmony (top harmony) in a bluegrass band for about 10 years. Over the last couple of years I've been learning to accompany myself solo on guitar. And I'm playing a few of our old set - but I have to play them in different keys to the ones we used in the band so that I can sing the melody. I think across my present set of songs I use the capo on every fret up to the 7th in order to stand a chance of singing each particular piece.

I don't have a strong voice but I can usually pitch - I'm a top tenor, just, as I'm one note short at the top but if I switch to baritone I'm 2 notes short at the bottom. So, I do sing high. My problem is projection so I have to back off a lot on guitar when singing and pick up when not.

I do alter melodies to keep them in range, I may drop a note a 4th or climb a third rather than a 5th, or climb a 5th rather than an octave etc.

When I'm practicing a song I try and clear my mind of the original and listen to myself. I do think it is all to easy to hear the original artist's version in your head while playing/singing - and, for me, that's missing the point of me doing the song. I may as well just put down my guitar and put the original track on my CD player.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:51 AM

Even if you sing every note spot on, you are not going to sound like the original. You are not that singer. Also if people want to hear a duplicate of the recording, why are they listening to live music? It would be more efficient and less expensive to stick in the ear buds and listen to the original.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write