The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 03:59 PM

Default Who In Nashville Should Work On My ‘51 SJ?

First off, mods please move this to repairs if you think best...I posted in General as I thought I’d get good feedback from people who have recent experience in Music City. My daughter lives there now and this is a good reason to visit from New Orleans, so I’m looking for someone to treat a good old guitar nice.

Work Needed:
Bridge plate repair. Think I’d prefer the one that scoops some wood and plugs in the little domes.
Bone saddle and nut.
Full set up (Plek?)

Possible:
Neck reset. Need to be talked into this, but it might be past time.
Refret. Ditto above.

Thinking About:
Guitar had Grovers. Was since refitted with the original no name Klusons (amateur job). Put the nice nickel Grovers back on (reversing the reverse)? Klusons look nice but...

So I know about Gruhn’s and Carter (who doesn’t?) but what about their current repair staff? Also have read much about Glaser instruments. I’m sure there are others. Don’t need to bargain shop, and want my birth year Gibby done right. Also a place that gives good info about the advisability of the work I’m contemplating. Strange Guitar Works is in my hometown so I should consider them too I suppose.

Thanks, and looking forward to your wise input!
Old 04-18-2021, 04:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Richard Starkey in Franklin is a fabulous long-time luthier. He also happens to be a recent TN State Flat Pick Guitar Champion. GREAT guy!
Old 04-18-2021, 05:48 PM

I was also going to suggest Richard Starkey. He does great work! Be prepared to wait a while though - he has a backlog (at least he did last year).

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 04-18-2021, 07:02 PM

I would recommend Dan Blom of Blom Guitars. I just picked up my 1942 00-18 from him and he did a great job. He is located just outside of Nashville in Fairview Tennessee. Dan was the repair shop Forman at Gruhns before going out on his own.
2017 Bourgeois Country Boy D
2019 Bourgeois D-150
Old 04-18-2021, 08:04 PM

John Levan is one of the luthiers called in along with Joe Glaser, to restore many of the vintage instruments damaged in the Nashville flood.

He's worked on many of my guitars as well as for some friends of mine. He teaches lutherie as well.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-18-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiwork View Post
I would recommend Dan Blom of Blom Guitars. I just picked up my 1942 00-18 from him and he did a great job. He is located just outside of Nashville in Fairview Tennessee. Dan was the repair shop Forman at Gruhns before going out on his own.
Would like to know about Dan’s work. His website & Facebook page look interesting (and his before/after repairs super impressive). Seems he’s a small (one man?) shop?
Old 04-19-2021, 08:58 AM

Default Baton Rouge Luthier

I see that you have good reason to visit Nashville, and I will add my endorsement to the recommendations for Richard Starkey. He did a neck reset and replaced some frets on my HD-28 Martin and the result was outstanding.

If you want to consider closer to home, Tim's Guitars in Baton Rouge may be a good option. I had some work done on a Larrivee and am pleased with the result.

Good luck with things.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architar View Post
Would like to know about Dan’s work. His website & Facebook page look interesting (and his before/after repairs super impressive). Seems he’s a small (one man?) shop?

You are correct Dan is a small one man shop. His shop is at his home. The restoration he did on my guitar was very extensive and He did a fantastic job. It did take him longer than I thought it was going to take but after seeing the end result I’m okay with that.
2017 Bourgeois Country Boy D
2019 Bourgeois D-150
Old 04-19-2021, 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I do know Tim’s in BR and have heard good things about their work. Today I visited Carter’s and their repair dept. has few staff now due to pandemic. Said they couldn’t complete a neck reset for 10-12 months. I asked if they knew Dan Blom and they did and suggested his wait time might be less. Half hour later I was in his shop reviewing pics of my Gibson. Looks like I’ll need plate repair for sure and a reset and refret very likely. He spent at least an hour with me and showed various jobs in progress. Turn around time about two months.

A lot of work to be done and a commitment to be sure. Mulling it over, but then, what’s the value of an “all original” guitar against one that can be set right again with a bit of money and a talented luthier?

I’ll keep everyone current as things develop. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion