The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 08:19 AM

Default Advice on a small body couch guitar

I'm looking for a decent smaller bodied couch guitar, as that's where I really do the majority of my playing. I currently have a big old dreadnaught and a fender strat, and find myself playing the strat unplugged on the couch more than my acoustic just because it's so much more comfortable without that giant lower bout.

I'm not looking to spend a ton, probably $500 max. I've found myself in analysis paralysis looking at these guitars online, because there's not many places that stock these locally. Here's my list of contenders, and I'd love to hear from folks who own any of these and could give their opinions:

Alvarez AP66
Gretsch Jim Dandy Flat Top
Art & Lutherie Ami Cedar
Orangewood Oliver Mahogany Jr
Luna HEARTSONG PARLOR A/E W/USB
Breedlove Discovery Companion CE - Mahogany
Breedlove Pursuit Concertina CE (cedar top)
PRS SE P20
Guild M-120

A couple other considerations:
-My existing dreadnaught is a spruce top, so I like the idea of a the new couch guitar being mahogany, cedar, or some other tonewood besides spruce.

-I like the idea of sticking close to a 25.5" scale length and 1-11/16" nut, because that's what's on my existing dreadnaught and stratocaster, and I like that my technique and finger spacings translate the same on all my guitars. I realize almost all of these smaller bodied guitars are going to be less than 25.5" scale length, but I'd favor the ones that are 24"+ rather than the 23.5", which seems like a huge change from the standard 25.5".

-I favor those with real bone saddles. Good sustain is really important to me. I replaced the cheap plastic saddle on my existing dreadnaught with a Tusq saddle and noticed a huge improvement. I realize I can always change this myself aftermarket, but if the guitar comes with bone already I consider that a plus.

I welcome any thoughts/advice. Thanks!

Last edited by ryguy9090; 04-18-2021 at 10:05 PM. Reason: forgot to include the list of guitars I'm looking at!
Old 04-18-2021, 08:33 AM

Love my Simon &Patrick Folk parlor guitar for the couch. Fine Canadian Craftsmanship there.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay87t View Post
Love my Simon &Patrick Folk parlor guitar for the couch. Fine Canadian Craftsmanship there.
Oh sorry your looking for a 1-11/16 nut. Mines bigger than that.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:44 AM

With 500$ max it is hard to get full solid small guitar.
You should check Cort Gold series (P8 and P6), Yamaha CSF1M or the full solid 3M (smaller scale), Guild westerly collection, Takamine (New Yorker), Yamaha LS 6. Those are decent quality guitar that crossed my mind right away.

Last edited by GilbertK; 04-18-2021 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-18-2021, 08:44 AM

PRS has a parlor size that has been getting excellent word of mouth - PRS P20
Takamine has the New Yorker - GY11ME
Breedlove has the Concert - Concert CE

Alvarez's "parlors" (really 00) are nice, but wider neck and shorter scale than you're looking for. These are a place to start anyways....

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-18-2021, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

....I would seriously consider shorter scale options....it will dramatically increase the number of guitars you could consider and a shorter scale in my opinion suits a small bodied guitar better and is quite easy to adjust to even if you’re used to longer scale length.....if you do consider shorter scales a Taylor GS mini is an excellent choice...
Old 04-18-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

How about a Breedlove Wildwood Concertina? Very comfortable couch guitar - being a 00 size.

All mahogany
25" scale
1-11/16" bone nut
Bone saddle
Old 04-18-2021, 10:24 AM

How about a Martin OOO Jr.? I got one about a month ago and it is a great couch guitar and sounds really good. Has become my most played guitar since I got it. Right at $500 and all solid wood.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 AM

Check out the Art & Lutherie Roadhouse Tobacco Burst. Has laminated cherry b/s, but a very nice parlor.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:50 AM

A Taylor Grand Concert Academy 12e sounds like a good fit for what you're looking for.
If you're open to shorter scale the GS Mini is a great sounding smaller guitar.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 04-18-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Check out the Art & Lutherie Roadhouse Tobacco Burst. Has laminated cherry b/s, but a very nice parlor.
That looks like a sweet guitar and it's been on my radar for a few months. Going to the guitar store later this week (180 miles away) for the first time since last Fall and hoping to try one out.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:10 AM

Thumbs up check this out...recently posted

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610429
Old 04-18-2021, 01:21 PM

You didn't mention what area you're from, but the best way to go is to play as many guitars in the price range you've set for yourself, and not just looking on line. Also, try smaller shops as opposed to going to the big box stores that sell sub standard models of the one you're looking for.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:48 PM

Look into the Farida OT-22 at Eldery Instruments. It checks all your boxes except has a spruce top.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Larrivee makes some very nice “0” size guitars...as does Breedlove for close to that figure, I think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion