The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 01:34 PM

For me to pay a "celebrity premium" price for a guitar it would have to have been owned by Bob Dylan or one of The Beatles. Otherwise, it's just a guitar. But certainly, there are people out there who are huge Doyle Dykes fans who would probably pony up a few extra bucks for a guitar that he once owned. As much as I admire his talent though, I wouldn't be one of them.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:59 PM

I believe that documentation of ownership--provenance--is part of the X-owned-this-instrument game, which is itself only marginally related to the musical worth of the instrument. The situations where such things matter most are with historical exemplars in original condition (or with well-documented maintenance histories), where the actual instrument might explain something about the way the music sounds. (For example, the Selmers that Django favored or the violins and fortepianos for which classical composers might have designed their compositions.) Museums and scholars care about such matters.

Otherwise, it's a matter of personal connection. I'm told that before I owned it, Cyril Pahinui played a few tunes on my Goodall Standard at a gig in Duluth. I love the guitar, and I knew Cyril, so I find that bit of mojo pleasing to contemplate. But I'm not sure it would mean much should I choose to sell it on--though the qualities that Cyril liked in the guitar would presumably matter whether or not I mentioned him.

Associational mojo can be strange. I believe old Guild M-20s still command a premium thanks to the (now discredited) notion that Nick Drake played one on "Bryter Layter."
Old 04-18-2021, 04:53 PM

Doyle Dykes is famous to a hard core of acoustic guitar fans, but he’s not even semi-famous to the general public. Don’t spend any more money than you would for the same model instrument without any “celebrity” connections. You will not recoup a dime of the extra money you spent should you decide to resell it.

whm
Old 04-19-2021, 05:10 AM

I have guitars that were first played by Jackson Browne and Gordon Bok and can't say they are worth any more as a result. But I can see someone trying to make up their mind between two instruments and finally selecting the one with the story behind it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 04-19-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Thanks folks! I am still on the fence about this one.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't do anything for me.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-19-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Couldn't care less. It's the sound and feel.
My thoughts exactly.

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 04-20-2021, 10:38 PM

I think to really get a boost in value, a guitar has to not only be used by a famous musician, it must be used for iconic recordings or concerts.

The Greeny (Greenie?) is the obvious example. I doubt it went for $1 mil., but it was a lot of money.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Beyond what the guitar is, condition, intrinsic value, etc., it would depend on who the artist is/was. Or maybe if the guitar is tied to a particular song/performance/album/video/era. How much more? Impossible to say, but not a whole lot for me. Maybe a few hundred more because of the cool history. But $800,000 for Lennon's Rickenbacker? Not so much.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I have guitars that were first played by Jackson Browne and Gordon Bok and can't say they are worth any more as a result. But I can see someone trying to make up their mind between two instruments and finally selecting the one with the story behind it.
I’m familiar with both Browne and Bok, and Browne is famous enough to affect the value of the guitar - provided that he owned it and that provenance can be proven. Bok has his fans but, again, he’s not mainstream famous. So unless you get lucky enough to connect with a Gordon Bok super-fan, you can’t expect to get a premium price when you try to sell.

whm
Old 04-21-2021, 05:36 AM

Nah, no such luck, I owned them at the time but hadn't yet seen them much less played them; Browne & Bol just played them before me. I figure it as an interesting tidbit of information that someone might like to know. (Assuming I was selling either.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:59 AM

I acquired an Ovation Custom Legend C-779LX that was owned by Matt Sorum. I purchased the guitar for $900, sold it for a bit over $1K about five years later. The buyer even uncovered a Youtube video of Matt playing the guitar in a small club gig with the chick band he was promoting.

I don't believe his prior ownership had anything to do with the price I got. I'm inclined to attribute it to prevailing market conditions at the time of the sale.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 04-21-2021, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

When I see a guitar for sale once owned by X that means X didn't like it enough to keep it.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Consider this before you decide

I've seen Doyle Dykes perform several times. (He signed my baby Taylor guitar but I didn't notice that it's value increased at all.)

Here's my concern, an acoustic guitar only has a finite number of good notes built in. A player like DD or Tommy Emmanuel (who also signed the baby Taylor, with no immediate increase in it's value as well), uses up many of the good notes in a guitar so the only remaining notes are more bad than good. I have scientifically verified this fact. Using my baby Taylor as an example, both DD and TE played it for a brief time before they signed it. When I played it afterward, the notes I played were bad since they had used up many of the good one. The science is clear and indisputable, don't buy a guitar previously owned by one of the acoustic guitar masters. There will be very few, if any, good notes left in the guitar. You would be better served buying one of my guitars since I have played most of the bad notes on them and most of the good notes still remain, though I am unable to find them easily.

Some of the above may be true (like good notes.)
Old 04-21-2021, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
I've seen Doyle Dykes perform several times. (He signed my baby Taylor guitar but I didn't notice that it's value increased at all.)

Here's my concern, an acoustic guitar only has a finite number of good notes built in. A player like DD or Tommy Emmanuel (who also signed the baby Taylor, with no immediate increase in it's value as well), uses up many of the good notes in a guitar so the only remaining notes are more bad than good. I have scientifically verified this fact. Using my baby Taylor as an example, both DD and TE played it for a brief time before they signed it. When I played it afterward, the notes I played were bad since they had used up many of the good one. The science is clear and indisputable, don't buy a guitar previously owned by one of the acoustic guitar masters. There will be very few, if any, good notes left in the guitar. You would be better served buying one of my guitars since I have played most of the bad notes on them and most of the good notes still remain, though I am unable to find them easily.

Some of the above may be true (like good notes.)
This is just too funny! And in my case way too true.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion