The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
2. Make sure the hole size is large enough so that the screw is not forced and could possibly spit the heel. It should be slightly less than the diameter of the screw shaft minus the threads.
Actually, when using a straight drill bit, make it no smaller than the diameter of the screw shaft, minus the threads, in hardwood. Using a tapered bit is probably better than using a straight bit if you have one. I'd also recommend waxing the screw to limit the possibility of breaking.

This page is a pretty good guide to drill sizes for various sizes of screws:

https://www.wlfuller.com/html/wood_screw_chart.html

From the link:

"If drilling a straight pilot hole, we recommend the same drill size as the root diameter in hardwoods and 15% smaller in softwoods."

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-16-2021, 03:20 PM

On the subject of whether or not adding a strap button diminishes the value -- in my opinion, no.

I never use strap, but I have purchased two used guitars that have had a strap button professionally installed and it doesn't bother me in the least. It certainly didn't dissuade me from buying a guitar. If the button was poorly installed, then that would give me pause, but professionally done, no prob.

I currently have a Bourgeois DB signature 00 that I bought used with a strap button installed in the heel. I didn't care and I hardly even notice it.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:41 PM

Here is my Bourgeois with a Gibson Button and Slot Screw.

Here is my H&D drilled. I use a tapered cone shaped dremel stone to finish it off (by hand not on the tool). That keeps the screw threads from lifting and chipping the finish around around the hole.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I occasionally use the strap buttons on a couple of my guitars, and perceived it as a PLUS when buying them used. To me, guitars are like cars and many other things that are meant to be used and enjoyed, so if a strap button enhances its utility for you as the player, then have one professionally installed. The only exception might be a guitar that is a very, very expensive Collector guitar -- which likely would not be getting the play time that would warrant a strap button to begin with.

Cheers!
Old 04-16-2021, 03:51 PM

I thought about it for a long (years) time before installing one on my Taylor as they recommend, but I never use it.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 04-16-2021, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

On my two custom made guitars, I had the luthier install it before I took delivery. On the third used boutique guitar, I took it to a local guitar shop. I knew that I would be reselling these guitars so that was not a factor. As Wade said, if it was a super rare guitar, maybe not.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-16-2021, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks again for all of the feedback!

I think with this Collings, the tapered heel is super low profile, so it may be hard to avoid the bolts.
I’ll likely have my Luthier install it sometime, but the guitar is far from needing a visit to the luthier, I’ll check out the recommendations for the above the nut for now or just use it without a strap.
I sure love it.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I hate buttons, so I'd never do it. But this thread shows how doing
it is not an issue if that's what you want. I learned on AGF to tie my strap
here, instead of at the nut, it doesn't interfere with cowboy chords at
all...

For me, the way the guitar hangs with the strap at the headstock
is just right...

-Mike
Old 04-16-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
Never on a high-end guitar.
+1. I have a beater with a pick-up and a strap button for the increasingly rare occasions where I need to play while standing. The rest of my acoustic guitars are button free.

Last edited by thepassivevoice; 04-16-2021 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Late night grammar error.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 PM

(a) Put it in a glass case in a bank vault deep down in a cave. That should keep it safe.

(b) Put a button on it and actually play it.

Go for (b) every single time. It's not a work of art, it's a tool. Use it for the task it was designed to do. Look after it, don't wreck it, don't abuse it, but above all, play it!
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Hi C-t-S,

I would be inclined to drop an email to Collings. I expect that they get asked about strap button placement regularly and are likely to have detailed instructions to hand for their guitars.

I also like playing both sitting and standing and make a point of practicing my set from both postures. Because, when our local venues and sessions open up again there certainly will be times that I'll be standing to play and sing.

I don’t have an expensive guitar (in fact I just have two very, very cheap guitars) but both came with strap buttons. One is on the treble side of the heel and one is on the bass side of the body going into a small block glued next to the neck block (as shown in one of the earlier posts in this thread). Although the side of the guitar fixing point is less common (although all the Godin brands now use it) I have to say that it really works well as the button is attached to a flat surface rather than a curved heel, plus the balance is great. If I was to have a custom guitar built then I would ask to have the strap button placed on the bass side of the guitar running into a small block glued beside the neck block.

I find that using the heel cap fixing point puts the guitar completely out of balance. And, for me, using a headstock lace again puts the guitar in the wrong position.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
(a) Put it in a glass case in a bank vault deep down in a cave. That should keep it safe.

(b) Put a button on it and actually play it.

Go for (b) every single time. It's not a work of art, it's a tool. Use it for the task it was designed to do. Look after it, don't wreck it, don't abuse it, but above all, play it!
c) play it sitting down

d) play with the strap on the headstock.

Lets not pretend it's a choice between drilling a hole and never play the instrument.

I would personally only drill a hole if I was going to play standing up very regularly with a specific guitar, and preferred it to headstock strap placement. Neither of which is the case for me, hence no hole, but still plenty of playing.

Last edited by RalphH; 04-17-2021 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:28 AM

It’s a guitar. All mine have strap buttons.
Whoop-de-doo.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-17-2021, 10:37 AM

Default a thought

First conversation I had with my instructor when I started guitar lessons involved my being told to get a strap button installed before the next lesson. I have since installed one on every guitar I made (7). seeing as how he'd been playing professionally for 45 years, I figured he knew whereof he spoke.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:28 AM

It's not going to diminish the value of your guitar much and it does make it easier to play standing up. Having said that, I don't care for strap buttons. For me, it's partly a matter of aesthetics and partly the fact that the neck heel is a relatively weak part of a guitar. I've seen some terrible strap button installations, too. If the person installing a strap button does a good job, then OK.

I wouldn't by a guitar with a strap button installed, however. Not my style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion