The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2021, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
The Music Outlet in Sevierville, Tennessee
I've heard lots of good thin gs about this shop.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

As it happens, I’m visiting Acoustic Music in Guilford, Connecticut this morning as I start the serious (i.e., non-Internet) part of my search for a nice OM/000 sized guitar. I’ll report back on how it went, but so far they’ve been very nice and accommodating.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:45 AM

Maple Street Guitars in Buckhead, GA (metro Atlanta): great customer service and very good selection of guitars

Acoustic Cellar Guitars in Clarkesville, GA: This place is like walking into someone's living room with guitars hanging on all the walls. Customer service is great. You can grab any guitar and have a seat in a chair, couch, stool and play as much as you like. They also have a great selection of vintage guitars.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 04-14-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
In Nashville:

Artisan Guitars
Gruhn Guitars
Carter's Vintage Guitars
Really enjoyed Carter's. Haven't been to Gruhn since they moved. Felt pretty intimidated the one time I did go. No one even approached me.

Last edited by Guildman; 04-14-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:05 AM

In St. Paul Minnesota

Willies American Guitars
Old 04-14-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2002 View Post
As it happens, I’m visiting Acoustic Music in Guilford, Connecticut this morning as I start the serious (i.e., non-Internet) part of my search for a nice OM/000 sized guitar. I’ll report back on how it went, but so far they’ve been very nice and accommodating.
Aww, you beat me to it! I’ve never been to any of the other shops mentioned, but I expect Acoustic Music is a step down from some of them. Like, not road trip worthy on their own but if your travels take you within 45 minutes of them definitely worth a side trip. That’s not meant as a slight, just a reflection of the small size of the shop. The staff are always friendly and knowledgeable.

I’m sure your trip is going to be great. If tomorrow’s weather is like today’s it’ll be a good day to take the 2002.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
Norman’s Rare Guitars in LA
He’s posted numerous videos with just about every major rock star in LA playing guitar in the shop.

Norm is a hoot but the shop isn’t quite the wild same since Mark Agnessi left and went to work for Martin

Oh, and check out McCabes in Santa Monica, great live back room venues and a fun selection of guitars
Agnessi works for Gibson.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
All the above plus TNAG Nashville.

A lesser know shop in the little town of Burlington, NC...Lowe Vintage Instruments.
Don't miss Rumble Seat Music...shoulda been on this list.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Really enjoyed Carter's. Haven't been to Gruhn since they moved. Felt pretty intimidated the one time I did go. No one even approached me.
I think you might like the new shop better as it's all on one floor..don't expect any change in the culture though. Don't feel intimidated, maybe just feel sorry for them for all the money they've lost in sales for acting like they couldn't care less. Starts at the top IMO.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:37 AM

Doesn't help much now but the old Retrofret and TR Crandall locations were just too cool. I assume their new shops are still great, but I haven't been.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:38 AM

In mid-Missouri (Jeff City) I have visited Will West Music several times while visiting family in the area. Well stocked if modest sized music room, large selection of "lesser" guitars in the main part of the store and extensive string selection (all this from, now, quite a while since we have travelled to the region). Rosewood Music a few blocks away is an interesting place with a small selection of new and used guitars and a guy always working on one right there in front.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:38 AM

Guitar store like a guitar museum. Great staff, welcoming atmosphere -Rudy’s SoHo

Relaxed setting - Great selection, acoustic and electric- Carter Vintage - Nashville

Great selection of boutique instruments that are in tune and sound great - Artisan Guitars - Franklin TN

Enjoying learning about others across the country.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-14-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Sorry your experience at Gruhn’s wasn’t good. My experience over four visits (all to current location) has been quite different. On my first visit I was staring at the wall of Martin guitars in awe. A friendly employee came up to me and said said feel free to take down anything I was interested in and just play it. He then left me alone to play to my heart’s content. On another visit I was playing one of the Gruhn’s Martin Custom 0 Kenneth Pattengale Specials and someone asked me how I liked it. Looked up and it was George Gruhn himself and we had a nice conversation about the guitar.

Only been to Carter’s once but really enjoyed it too. Got to play several guitars consigned by famous musicians.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 04-14-2021, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Now, are we talking about destination shops here, or ones that you should definitely stop by if you happen to be in the area.

Certainly Gryphon, Schoenberg, Acoustic Music Works, Dream Guitars, Gruhn, Carter Vintage, and a few others are DESTINATION shops. Places worth traveling just to check out (or largely for that reason).

Some others are nice, but I wouldn't call them destination shops. Obviously I haven't been to all of them, but some of these are pretty small shops. I love Spruce Tree, and went in there many times when I lived in Wisconsin, and for sure if you're in the Madison area stop in... but I hardly think it's worth a special trip (unless you know they have something that you're interested in).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-14-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2002 View Post
I've bought at least two dozen guitars from them. Even with the current inventory challenges the selection is great and the guys there are the best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion