The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2021, 07:17 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Martin 000-18. I bought it sight unseen with an extremely limited return period and didn’t send it back in time so I lost my shirt on it when I sold it.

Now, there was nothing wrong with the guitar - other people played it and loved the sound. But to me, the open B string had a ‘jingle’ sound that drove me crazy. My guitar tech - a very competent guy - tried everything he could, but it’s hard to fix a problem you can’t hear. I was apparently the only one who heard it.

I tried for several months to play it but it always got put down after one song.

So I sold it.
I had that exact same experience with a new J-45. Such a great guitar...but that jangly b string made me nuts. After a year I sold it. Like my tech, the new buyer couldn’t hear it. She was thrilled with the guitar. Don’t you love happy endings?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

My favorite guitar shop is a pretty active Lowden dealer. I’ve auditioned several and was not impressed. Same experience with the Ryan Nightengales. Beautifully built, but no connection to what I suppose is their signature tones. Different strokes.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
A $5000. Bourgeois dread...I was excited to try it, played it for a few minutes, stopped and looked at the store owner, he said "you don't have to say anything, we thought the same thing" it was so bad I really think there was something wrong with it. I have played other Bourgeois' that were marvelous.
Same here. I picked up a Bourgeois all-mahogany banjo killer dread in a trade. Did nothing for me and had some other quality issues. I'm sure Dana would have fixed for free but since I had no love for it I sold it off at a great price to its new owner. But I've never before or since been so underwhelmed by a 'high-end' boutique guitar.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I'm not saying that it wasn't any good, but I was very displeased with a Gibson SJ-200 that really lacked in bass and projection.
I agree. I played a SJ-200 that played great but sounded thin and weak. I was pretty disappointed.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
I agree. I played a SJ-200 that played great but sounded thin and weak. I was pretty disappointed.
I've only played a few and never cared for them myself. I've not ever played a Gibson that made me want to take out my wallet. That could just be my limited experience. I'm sure there's something that I'd love.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I've had a J-45 standard, J-185, SJ-200 and sold them all. I did keep a inited run AJ however that's a great guitar. So yeah...they are out there.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-25-2021, 08:12 PM

My biggest disappointment was a new Martin D42 that I just “had to have” several years ago. It never did sound very good, but it sure was a beauty. Sad that it didn’t work out.

Rb
Old 01-25-2021, 08:19 PM

2 expensive guitars I played that were a huge disappoint was a taylor k24. Sounded like it was stuffed with socks..

The second one was a lowden - I don't remember the model but it was a fairly large body. Was really disappointing
Old 01-25-2021, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Three Lowdens, modern iteration (shop audition). All ho hum and expensive. Bad factory set ups on them as well; you expect a bit high at nut and saddle from the factory, just not what I had to fight to play. Also marginal neck sets on all.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:48 PM

Played a friend's Henderson. While it was nice, I was expecting an angel's chorus. I have played some other guitars that cost far less that I would say were its equal.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

I got caught up in the Martin OM-28 Authentic hype before and shortly after they released the model in 2015. Picked from among 3 available that the dealer had based on sound samples.

Never bonded with it. I had issues with the neck profile (shocker!) and the fact that it wasn't particularly well suited to how I was playing at the time. Also needed full mediums to sound its best, and I intensely dislike the tension of full mediums and have never kept a guitar that requires them.

Sold it after 6 mos. At least I bought it at 40-off, so the resale sting wasn't that bad.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-25-2021, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Played a friend's Henderson. While it was nice, I was expecting an angel's chorus. I have played some other guitars that cost far less that I would say were its equal.
I played one down at my favorite guitar shop... I think they just
got it in... the strings were bad on it, perhaps that's all that
was wrong with it... but - bleggh...

-Mike
Old 01-25-2021, 10:07 PM

My friend got himself a prewar company guitar. I was stoked to finally play one but it didn’t do anything for me. I thought it sounded thin. Different strokes I guess because he loves it like no other. Also I think a lot of times stores in shops need a new set of strings. I get it’s an expense but sometimes some gems sit unnoticed over it.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:39 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I had that exact same experience with a new J-45. Such a great guitar...but that jangly b string made me nuts. After a year I sold it. Like my tech, the new buyer couldn’t hear it. She was thrilled with the guitar. Don’t you love happy endings?
The jangly string thing usually happens with the G on guitars I've owned. -
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-25-2021, 10:48 PM

I have played a number of guitars that were stratospherically priced, that, to my ear, weren’t up to a good Rogue.
I played a couple of Macpherson guitars. I had been led to expect much. They did not deliver on the much.
I was also completely underwhelmed by a Lowden. It had no sustain and it sounded kind of “thumps”

They may have been icons.
But they did not “blow my skirt up.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion