The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post

Im not trying to throw mud on anyone -just feel the reputation should be earned -
like what the Eastman company is doing !
You don't think they are just riding the coat tails of George Eastman? I bet they didn't even have the decency to license the name from Eastman Kodak.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

"It's the best sounding guitar I've ever owned..."

Then why are you selling it? I'd really much prefer someone to just be dead honest and say, "I need the money more than the guitar."
Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 AM

The first kind of "ad" I thought of was a company's ad in a guitar magazine. I look at the model, if present, holding the guitar. I can usually tell by their fretting hand if they have ever held a guitar before. When it is obvious they have no idea how to play it makes me wonder why they weren't shown an Em to fret.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 04-13-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
"If the ad is up it's still for sale". Of course it is.
guitar george, I put that line prominently at the end of my Craigslist ads, and the reason is this: after placing a guitar ad, I'll get 4-5 texts within the hour that state "1999 (make of my guitar)- is it still available?"

This tells me that the person, if it actually is a person, didn't read the ad. That tells me it's a scammer and I delete the text immediately.

But my theory is that the scammers have a computer program that scans CL, especially the "Musical Instruments" category, and looks for new ads. The program then sends, via text, the "Is it still available" question. If you reply, they've got you on the hook. So when I see the "available" question, I delete immediately.

My $.02, anyway.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Add for a mandolin in my local craigslist: Bought in 2003 and played in an active Bluegrass band and the frets show it.

Now that tells me a lot. Pro or semi pro has kept it for 18 years. Has it's share of bumps and bruises. Probably a better than average instrument. Looking for a closet queen, this ain't it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-13-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Add for a mandolin in my local craigslist: Bought in 2003 and played in an active Bluegrass band and the frets show it.

Now that tells me a lot. Pro or semi pro has kept it for 18 years. Has it's share of bumps and bruises. Probably a better than average instrument. Looking for a closet queen, this ain't it.
I also give more consideration to a guitar that's been with someone a long time. But, then again, the best guitars I've ever had were passed around before they got to me.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

likewise.
Recently, while searching for a particular somewhat uncommon model, found one that sellers have listed the serial number in their ads that has been through 5 or 6 owners in the last 2'ish years...if it is so great, why has no one kept it more than 3-6 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I also give more consideration to a guitar that's been with someone a long time. But, then again, the best guitars I've ever had were passed around before they got to me.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:06 PM

Calling a plywood top "select spruce"
Old 04-14-2021, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
likewise.
Recently, while searching for a particular somewhat uncommon model, found one that sellers have listed the serial number in their ads that has been through 5 or 6 owners in the last 2'ish years...if it is so great, why has no one kept it more than 3-6 months?
Those too! There's one particular guitar that sure looks pretty but I've seen it for sale like 5 times in the last year. We may even be talking about the same guitar. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I don't mind a guitar that's been for sale once or twice because I've gotten some killer guitars that way. I've been guilty of buying a guitar and selling it almost immediately because it wasn't right for me but then the next owner absolutely loves it. So there's definitely a fine line there.

Last edited by UncleJesse; 04-14-2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post

Then why are you selling it? I'd really much prefer someone to just be dead honest and say, "I need the money more than the guitar."
Wouldn't being dead honest be saying that the guitar's tone sucks and hence why they're selling?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSpruce View Post
Wouldn't being dead honest be saying that the guitar's tone sucks and hence why they're selling?

Far more often than not yes indeed...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-18-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post

Why is that not being honest? You just kind of answered your own question, it could be the best sounding guitar they’ve owned and they need the money.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I don’t think that’s the reason that people often sold their guitar. An honest answer would be it’s just not the tone I’m looking for.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Most people don't buy a guitar whose tone sucks in the first place -- or send it straight back if it was ordered online. I can't imagine keeping a guitar I hate the tone of long enough to need to sell it second hand.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:00 PM

Glad to see I’m not the only one bothered by “net to me.” I won’t buy from someone who wants me to do their math project.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion