The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-08-2024, 10:13 PM

Default Using microphone instead pick up

Hi,

I want to buy acoustic amp for singing and playing acoustic guitar. I don't want to use pick up, just microphone for recording and playing live to friends and family. Any advice about amps? I did have some in mind but can't decide.
Fender Acoustic 100 Amplifier (100W)

Marshall AS50DV 50w Acoustic Instrument Amplifier

Boss Acoustic Singer Live LT Compact Acoustic Instrument Amp

Boss Acoustic Singer Live Amplifier Combo

Thanks for advice in advance

Last edited by Ante; 05-10-2024 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

To mic' both voice and guitar you will need an amp with two XLR mic' inputs.

On your list, only the Fender Acoustic 100w has this feature.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:15 AM

Default mic a guitar

You can use a small mixer for both guitar and vocals, then feed the output into a recorder/amplifier.. Mine is a Peavey RQ200 with 6 x xlr inputs. Behringer and others also make small mixers with 2 or more xlr ins.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:29 AM

I'm using one Condenser Mic (Neat Worker Bee) into a Mackie mixer...into my computer
or it can go into an amp if you want...
Using one mic for both you need to experiment with placement
My mic is about 20-24in away and above my head level.
Not that its the best way but for basic recordings that fit my feeble attempts at covers, it works

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 05-09-2024, 08:41 AM

You're welcome in advance.

If you have a mic, just put it in front of the guitar. It'll sound better. An amp is the wrong tool for the job.

If you have two mics, vocals can be improved with a mic preamp. My choice: the DBX 286s channel strip. Easy, transparent. It doesn't alter your voice. It restores it.

For recording voice and guitar at the same time with a single mic, experiment with placement to find the right balance — just like fooling with volume knobs on an amp but without knobs or an amp.

Nothing wrong with getting an acoustic guitar amp, but they're more useful for the stage. Any of the ones you named will do.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-09-2024 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
You're welcome in advance.

If you have a mic, just put it in front of the guitar. It'll sound better. An amp is the wrong tool for the job.

If you have two mics, vocals can be improved with a mic preamp. My choice: the DBX 286s channel strip. Easy, transparent. It doesn't alter your voice. It restores it.

For recording voice and guitar at the same time with a single mic, experiment with placement to find the right balance — just like fooling with volume knobs on an amp but without knobs or an amp.

Nothing wrong with getting an acoustic guitar amp, but they're more useful for the stage. Any of the ones you named will do.
Thanks, I do playing with small group of friends.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
To mic' both voice and guitar you will need an amp with two XLR mic' inputs.

On your list, only the Fender Acoustic 100w has this feature.
What about Blackstar Amplification Sonnet?
Old 05-11-2024, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

Back in '99 when I got my first Collings guitar, I was anxious to get the best possible internal electrics - I think it was an LR Baggs with an internal mic and UST. Never worked well.

While Ian the tech was fitting it or me, Mike the shop owner said to me - yu have a very fine acoustic instrument there. No matter what electrics we put in it, they will never sound as good as it sounds acoustically. (Then tried to sell me a Takamine for stage use).

As I was largely playing bluegrass or related stuff with various sidemen, I started using the Rode NT1 that I bought to record my last solo album.

I have used that one single mic for solo, duo, and trio for many years and I still use it for my club.

You need a simple mixer if your p.a., doesn't have phantom power.

With a little bit of choreography you can get four people around a good large diaphragm condenser mic.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:27 AM

Behringer* Flow 8

Bose s1 pro or similar.

*I’m not a natural Behringer fan but if it works it works, and it seems to work well, little Allen & Heath analogue mixers also work.

Tech has come a long way in 20yrs, these toys would’ve blown my mind in previous times, however, I haven’t yet heard an all-in-one combo-style amp that I’d consider good enough for vocals unless you want to get really spendy.

If you’re going to have what is essentially a mini PA then give due consideration to mic/speaker placement and system setup, much better solutions to feedback than shiny gadgetry.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I'm using one Condenser Mic...
Watch any video of folk artists from the sixties and you'll generally see one mic for both guitar and vocals. This is a great approach, depending on the room, especially since it eliminates the possibility of phasing issues between the vocal and guitar mics. Current folk and bluegrass musicians who use a single mic seem to favor Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina and similar mics.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-12-2024, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Watch any video of folk artists from the sixties and you'll generally see one mic for both guitar and vocals. This is a great approach, depending on the room, especially since it eliminates the possibility of phasing issues between the vocal and guitar mics. Current folk and bluegrass musicians who use a single mic seem to favor Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina and similar mics.
Yes, maybe that is good idea. I'm not great singer or guitar player but enjoy playing and singing some acoustic blues and bluegrass front of friends and family.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

Ante, I have used a single stage mic' for gigs, both solo and with bands. They do need some care when setting them up. To get as much "lift" from the mic' as possible you need the mic' behind the speaker line and you need to "ring" the room using a good eq and/or notch filters.

The Rode NT1a (not expensive) works well enough. The stage position makes a difference. Ideally, you want a soft back wall and not be in a corner surrounded by hard surfaces. But if the venue and gig are suitable then a single stage mic' covering multiple players/singers can be successful, even within a mixed acoustic and electric band with drums.

You would be better off getting a mixer and powered speaker than an acoustic amp for this type of sound reinforcement.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-12-2024, 04:00 AM

I've run an acoustic open mic for the last 14 months, and sound on the weekend. The fender acoustic 100 works extremely well . The XLR outs go to the mixer. . It can handle coffee house gigs just fine.

The other amp I use is a Mesa Rosette , the 2 channel 300W 2x8 + horn is a beast and can easily fill small venues . Similar format to the Fender, just more power .

Most clubs have PA's / Mixers so I'd assess the venues you want to play .

For those without pickups I mic with an SM57 . The results are never as satisfying. For recording fine , Live .. too many issues, especially if folks move when they play .
Old 05-12-2024, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaLobo View Post
... For those without pickups I mic with an SM57 . The results are never as satisfying. For recording fine , Live .. too many issues, especially if folks move when they play .

You can get a dynamic mic' for guitar to work just fine for a stage such as an open mic'. I find that the "trick" is to come back from the vocal mic' about 6" to 9" or so, and the same for the guitar mic'. The desk can then balance me in really easily. My guitar is mic'd in the video above and my buddy's guitar is plugged in. My guitar stands out just fine on my bass runs, turnaround and 3/4 boom/chuck.

If I'm "eating" the vocal mic' then it's much more difficult to mic' my guitar effectively on stage. So the next time you have someone turn up at your open mic' without a p/u in their guitar try getting them to sing a little further back from the vocal mic' (6" to 9") and see if that helps you mic' the guitar (same mic' distance) and get a better balance between the two foh.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 05-12-2024 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

You can get a dynamic mic' for guitar to work just fine for a stage

Yep. I use an SM57 for guitar, SM58 for vocals into an S1-Pro (2 mic inputs) and line that out into an L1-Compact with zero issues. Been doing it for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification