The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Workflow is one thing, getting it to setup is another. He never used it successfully so he doesn't know what the workflow is like! There was something obviously wrong when he went to setup Sonar the first time. And most likely it was a computer issue / user issue. It was shame that Cakewalk service didn't help him during the time he had a problem because the new Sonar is a fabulous program and very easy to use with basic instruction. And the reason I posted a reply to his original post is to make sure users that have never tried it wouldn't be too scared to give it a chance. This is a program that used to cost $499 and they are giving it away free! For someone that couldn't/can't afford a professional DAW this is quite the opportunity!
Maybe... Spose it depends on definition . Seems to me setup and how intuitive or non intuitive it is, and how helpful support is or isn't,, .....is all part of the workflow. YMMV... I was simply trying to tell Rudy he didn't really need to "lighten up"....
I use Mac and PT so it's a moot issue for me obviously .
But honestly I hope it proves to be a great product for those who use it .. BUT you can certainly offer a counter view and explain your view, without instructing others how not to feel about it . Just sayin

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-08-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I down loaded mine. I kind of looked at it a couple of minutes is all. Now I want to figure out how to arm each track. That's always a stumbling block for me.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I down loaded mine. I kind of looked at it a couple of minutes is all. Now I want to figure out how to arm each track. That's always a stumbling block for me.
There are loads of YouTube vids that take you through the basics to advanced functions.

Some are done by users and some by Calkwalk

Do a google search on how to record with sonar Platinum, and then hit the video search.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-08-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
BUT you can certainly offer a counter view and explain your view, without instructing others how not to feel about it . Just sayin
Exactly what I did as my quote says "And the reason I posted a reply to his original post is to make sure users that have never tried it wouldn't be too scared to give it a chance" ... just sayin
Old 04-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Exactly what I did as my quote says "And the reason I posted a reply to his original post is to make sure users that have never tried it wouldn't be too scared to give it a chance" ... just sayin
Well obviously some miscommunication. Because what you did was not "exactly" what I posted . You offered your counter view with the preface suggestion to "lighten up" which what I was referring to, as "instructing others how not to feel" and unnecessary. And honestly I think there is little danger of "others being too scared to try it " given it is free ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-08-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
And honestly I think there is little danger of "others being too scared to try it " given it is free ...
"Lighten up" (hence the smily face) was for levity not to tell him how he should feel, and his scathing opinion of Sonar/Cakewalk was based on a very limited experience and not based on the current version, which is not only very stable, but has TONS of online support. But many people when reading online reviews, if they see a bad experience, they might not want to chance giving something a try. And this deal is probably the best bargain I've seen in the last ten years on free PROFESSIONAL software. I feel my post was warranted. And by the way when I need a guidance counselor on how I should post I'll let you know. Rudy replied to my post and said his peace.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
"Lighten up" (hence the smily face) was for levity not to tell him how he should feel, and his scathing opinion of Sonar/Cakewalk was based on a very limited experience and not based on the current version, which is not only very stable, but has TONS of online support. But many people when reading online reviews, if they see a bad experience, they might not want to chance giving something a try. And this deal is probably the best bargain I've seen in the last ten years on free PROFESSIONAL software. I feel my post was warranted. And by the way when I need a guidance counselor on how I should post I'll let you know. Rudy replied to my post and said his peace.
Just as a clarification, I did not feel offended in the least at anyone's comments. It's all good, and I appreciate both pro and con comments as long as it's not personal, which it wasn't.

As far as my own personal experience, I was already a "Cakewalk" user and liked the program well enough that I decided to spend the money to upgrade to Sonar. That's when it all went south...

I cleared out any remaining vistages of Cakewalk and Sonar and downloaded and installed Mackie Tracktion which I used for several years without problem. Mackie used to provide the older last version of Tracktion as a free download when they released a newer version. It was a very intuitive and easy to use DAW, but I gave it up when I went with a new PC and purposefully did not hook it up to the internet.

I went for a paid version of Reaper, as it didn't require on-line registration. I love Reaper.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No need for us to get in a tussle over this
I just thought , "lighten up " sounded to me , a bit like something a guidance counselor might say : You don't see it like that, and that is ok also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-09-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:49 AM

i have a friend who has frustratingly dealt with sonar for years and just recently went for the subscription. now he is highly incensed that it is being given away free.

i thought this was a guitar oriented site?!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, as rockabilly69 correctly mentioned, and from the info on the website it is a fairly full featured version of the DAW program, unlike many free DAWs

If I used a windows computer I would certainly be tempted to check it out

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
No need for us to get in a tussle over this
I just thought , "lighten up " sounded to me , a bit like something a guidance counselor might say : You don't see it like that, and that is ok also
Sometimes the internet changes the tone of meaning we're good!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i have a friend who has frustratingly dealt with sonar for years and just recently went for the subscription. now he is highly incensed that it is being given away free.

i thought this was a guitar oriented site?!

play music!
Actually I have been with Cakewalk since the very early days, and there's a part of me that's a bit chuffed about giving it away for free when I had to pay to get in the club. But there's another part of me that sees this as a great way for people that have talent, but very limited discretionary income, to get into recording. I would rather take the high road here. And for those of us that got into DAWs in the early days when cakewalk was hard to set up (or any other DAW), it forced us to learn about setting up computers. Funny thing, if it wasn't for these early issues, I would know very little about the inner workings of computers, like editing the Bios, partioning hard-drives, Regedits, Msconfig, etc. And that knowledge has really helped me with many issues outside of the audio world!!!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:38 PM

I` have been using Cakewalk Sonar for years,still using Sonar Producers Edition 3. Where do I find the new free one??. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:25 PM

go to bandlab.com.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD