The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 PM

Default Anyone Build Their Own Studio Computer?

Hey AGF'ers. I'm in the process of moving from a Zoom R8 to a computer based recording system to do some more serious recording and am in desperate need of a new computer. I ended up going with a PreSonus interface and Studio One for a DAW. Always been a Mac guy, but for the specs I'm looking for it's looking like I'd need to take out a second mortgage on my home for a new iMac... super tired of the ridiculous upcharges for hardware with Apple.

I started doing a bit of research on PCs that would fit my specs, but nothing really seemed to hit my criteria until I was over budget. Eventually, I stumbled upon several YouTube videos of people who have built their own computers for a very reasonable amount of money and I'm thinking that's the direction I'll end up going.

Problem is, I've never done anything like this before. The actual assembly seems fairly straightforward, but picking out which components to purchase is a bit mind-boggling for me. If anyone has some suggestions on individual components you've used or maybe a website you trust that has some builds planned out, I would really appreciate it.

As far as budget goes, I'd like to keep it under about $750 (not including monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.). This will be used almost exclusively for recording/editing audio, but I would like to do some very basic video editing for YouTube vids - not sure if I need a decent graphics card for that?

My initial thoughts (although, please tell me if you have any disagreements) are:
  • Intel Core i5, i7
  • 8GB Ram
  • I'd love two drives: 1 smaller SSD for system/programs; 1 larger HDD for files
  • Wifi card
  • Fair number of USB 2.0 and/or 3.0
  • Bonus points if there's some cooling unit that's quiet enough that I could put it in a rackmount case to put directly in my desk
Thanks!

Check out my first original!
Facebook
Youtube
Old 02-25-2018, 12:03 AM

I’ve built many pc’s for myself and businesses. Sorry but your budget is unrealistic. Any pc with the specs you are quoting minimally is in the $1200+ range. Your starting point should be the fastest processor available, 8GB RAM and a high quality motherboard. You’ve already spent $1k. Your budget fits a used pc with a generic motherboard, onboard video, onboard sound, USB 2.0, generic fan, I5 processor, 8GB RAM and a decent non SATA hard drive.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-25-2018, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

I built a recording computer and created a thread about it here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=317927

List of component from that build:

Here is what I picked out and what it cost me:

Computer case: ($99.99) Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 AT

CPU: ($309.99) Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Qua

CPU cooler: ($74.99) Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ($194.99) ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA

RAM: ($109.99) CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Power Supply: ($129.99) CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2

Firewire card: ($42.99) SIIG FireWire 2-Port PCIe Model NN-E20012-S2

Solid state hard drive: ($219.99) Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5"

CD-Rom: ($18.99) ASUS Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Dri - OEM

Operating system: ($199.99) Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Second hard drive: $69.99 Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148840

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-25-2018, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

Smile Building Your Own PC

I have always built my own PC's, including the one I currently use for recording.

I would suggest at least 16 GB of RAM and the biggest SSD you can afford.

Maximum PC magazine is a great resource for building PC's. They have recommended system builds at various price points and the components they select are always among the best for the money.

Good luck. Building PC's is fun too.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 AM

I've built a couple - my latest about a year ago.

I think that one cost me about $1000. $750 will be hard to achieve for a good and strong music computer but then again it depends on what you need. Do you use a lot of VSTi -s, a lot of processor intensive plugins?

If you build one, check this out:

https://pcpartpicker.com/
Old 02-25-2018, 12:44 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies so far. Obviously my desired budget isn't going to fit everything I'd like, but I'm willing to make concessions as necessary and add more money to the build - $750 isn't my breaking point, just a goal.

runamuck - $1,000 sounds great if I can get a reasonable build for that. I really don't use many plug-ins as it is (mostly out of necessity with my 2009 Macbook) but I can't imagine I would end up using much more than I currently do: EQ, compressor, reverb, and occasionally delay and chorus.

I'd like to eventually do some stuff with vocals and a midi keyboard, but for now it's just acoustic guitar from 2 SDCs, 1 LDC, and a hint of the K&K Trinity.

That website looks fantastic - did you start from one of the build guides? Which one, if so?

Cocobolo Kid - thanks for the encouragement and mag recommendation; I'm gonna look into that a bit more before I decide on anything final.

rick-slo - great thread. I'm going to be referring back to it as I go along. Thanks for posting your component list!

BT55 - thanks for the insight. Quick question regarding your statements about the onboard video and sound on a generic motherboard: I'm under the impression that I don't really need to upgrade either (at least on a decent motherboard), since I won't be doing much with video and will be going through my interface for all the audio stuff - is that right?

Check out my first original!
Facebook
Youtube
Old 02-26-2018, 03:57 PM

You could save $ initially and use a lower priced CPU like a twin core i3.
The fastest 6 core i7 will fit in the same socket (so long as it is from the same generation) should you require more power later on and have the cash.

If you are not bothered about gaming the on-board graphics on modern motherboards should be fine for you. Music apps are 2d not 3d. I like Asus motherboards myself.

I wouldn't recommend the built-in audio for serious recording I doubt you would get low enough latency, aside from other issues.

So you only need a 1) motherboard (micro-atx size should be enough), 2) a case, 3) a PSU, 4) a CPU, 5) some memory (8 or 16 Gb should be fine), and 6) an ssd drive and probably a wifi card.

In my experience it is best not to buy a cheap power supply or a case with one built-in.

I built one recently and installed the Apple OS-X and it runs like a champ but that's another story.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-08-2018, 07:29 AM

I found a 4 core i7, 16gb ram, 4.2mghz processor, 480gb ssd, windows 10 pc for $899. Will let you know how it works for recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD