The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin "authentic" strings ? Please educate me.

Hi, I mostly use D'addario or Dunlop strings (for Dobro and mandolin).
However when the changes started to take place, I read of those mourning the passing of SP strings, so I bought some on ebay, and rather liked them. Then went back and bought some more. Of course the supply of NOS strings ran out pretty quickly.

On the weekend, I ordered some light gauge Authentic SPs (3 for 2 deal) which arrived this morning. Today I took of the last set of 12-54 SPs on my 0028, and replaced them with these MA540s...
Just a minute - weren't SPs a different number like MSP4100 and wasn't a more basic/cheaper type called called MA5xx ?

So, these strings that I've just put on .... are they SP (they say so) or are they the old basic strings????

Also, I rather liked those gold coloured 1st and 2nd, and now they are back to standard silver colour. Could someone explain the implications?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:26 PM

I gave up on Martin strings when they switched from the old SP sets. I loved those strings, and,like you, favored the gold colored unwound strings. They had a clarity and richness that was pleasing and the feel was just right.

I think the formula is very different on the new (authentic) strings. Don’t like them at all. I now use a John Pearse strings.

Rb
Old 07-08-2020, 09:06 PM

I am a fan of the old SP strings. I have a few sets left. I have a Gibson Southern Jumbo, and those strings were / are my favorite strings on that guitar. I am going to have to go in search of a new string for that guitar soon.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I mostly use D'addario or Dunlop strings (for Dobro and mandolin).
However when the changes started to take place, I read of those mourning the passing of SP strings, so I bought some on ebay, and rather liked them. Then went back and bought some more. Of course the supply of NOS strings ran out pretty quickly.

On the weekend, I ordered some light gauge Authentic SPs (3 for 2 deal) which arrived this morning. Today I took of the last set of 12-54 SPs on my 0028, and replaced them with these MA540s...
Just a minute - weren't SPs a different number like MSP4100 and wasn't a more basic/cheaper type called called MA5xx ?

So, these strings that I've just put on .... are they SP (they say so) or are they the old basic strings????

Also, I rather liked those gold coloured 1st and 2nd, and now they are back to standard silver colour. Could someone explain the implications?

Thanks in advance.
The old SP strings were indeed a different number, the lights were MSP4100 (Martin Superior Performance) and now they are MA540, I assume for Martin Authentic.

They also used to have the core wires bronze plated (the gold color) and with the new Authentics, they are tin plated.

This is how Martin used to describe them...

"Like all the Martin SP Studio/Performance Series strings, the MSP4150 SP Phosphor Bronze Light/Medium acoustic guitar strings are ideal live, in the studio, or wherever maximum string life is desired. The creation of these high-performance Martin strings is a result of research done in cooperation with specialty steel producers. Due to the development of a top-notch ultra-high quality steel core, Martin SP strings resist breakage better than average strings. In addition, both the core wires and the plain strings are plated with a smooth, acoustic bronze finish. Though this golden bronze finish will enhance the beauty of your guitar, its purpose is much more functional—to prolong brightness, guitar string life, and provide superior tonal quality to meet the high expectations of demanding musicians."

Here is the current description...

These strings are engineered with the performer in mind and they will always stand up to rigorous practice and performance schedules. We start with our highest tensile-strength core wire, then tin-plate it on all six strings for added corrosion resistance; because what you don’t see matters! When coupled with our highest quality wrap wire you get consistent true tone that you can count on song after song. Available in 80/20 Bronze and 92/8 Phosphor Bronze.

Martin Authentic Acoustic SP® strings offer excellent tuning stability, corrosion resistance and great playability.

Apparently, they no longer feel the need for a "superior tonal quality" and went with the tin plating for "corrosion resistance." After all, they both plate the core and would both protect it...it was probably just cheaper to go with the tin.

I much preferred the old MSP4100 strings over the new version and have moved on to other strings.

By the way, if you like the bronze coated cores, you can try the GHS Americana (old Laurence Juber strings)...they use bronze plated cores.

Also, Pyramid uses a silver plating for their core wires. There are those who say it makes no difference what you plate the cores with...I believe it does.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 07-09-2020, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

I tried Martin Authentic's when they first came out. They were on sale so after ordering 2 sets and liking the tone, I ordered 4 more sets. Then I found them to be very short-lived. I got 2 to 4 weeks from them where I normally get 6 to 8 weeks out of D'Addaro's.

I tried both phos/bronze and 80/20.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I may be an outlier, but I’ve found Martin Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 strings MA 140T to sound quite good on a couple of my guitars. They seem to be a little dry and even-sounding (to a light touch) but that plays well on some guitars to my ear.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:50 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I may be an outlier, but I’ve found Martin Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 strings MA 140T to sound quite good on a couple of my guitars. They seem to be a little dry and even-sounding (to a light touch) but that plays well on some guitars to my ear.
You’re not alone, Paul. I was never a fan of Martin strings...until the AAs were introduced. I was among those who beta tested them for Martin and liked them from the first strum. I particularly like them now on my custom 18-Style OM. I also like them on most rosewood dreads...though they often come in second to my all-time favorite dread strings - Santa Cruz Mid Tension.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:36 AM

I happen to really like the new Martin strings. I like all of their alloy sets and really like their PB and monel. I think my favorite thing about Martin is how their light sets are set up with a fatter low E and a G string. It just adds a bit more depth and meat to my tone.

Having said that, I agree with those who love and miss the bronzed plain steel. The difference is subtle but it is there. I find them a bit sweeter, especially with time. I like them enough that I buy B and high e strings from Strings By Mail from the GHS Americana set and add them to any phosphor bronze sets I'm using at the time.

Maybe I'm crazy.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:28 AM

I'm not liking them so far. I prefer the old formula.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

They do sound a little different from the old formula. Therefore, people who like one over the other will have a preference in one direction or another. I happen to prefer the newer ones; never liked the old SPs.

I will say, their new Lifespan 2.0s are definitely, by far, the best treated/coated string I've ever played. Sound, feel, and look more like untreated/uncoated strings than anything else I've found, and they last forever. I did recently discover one of my guitars loves monels and the other Sunbeams, but I could easily see going back to Authentic 80/20s on the D-18 from time to time.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 PM

Authentic lifespan 2.0 blackened in a few weeks...
Don’t really know if it has a good “lifespan”
Old 07-09-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I tried Martin Authentic's when they first came out. They were on sale so after ordering 2 sets and liking the tone, I ordered 4 more sets. Then I found them to be very short-lived. I got 2 to 4 weeks from them where I normally get 6 to 8 weeks out of D'Addaro's.

I tried both phos/bronze and 80/20.
I'm using the Authentic SP phosphor bronze mediums (MA550T) on my HD-28V, and I'm very happy with them.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-10-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post
That 'black' isn't coming from the strings, it is dirt or oils from your fingers reacting with the strings - some people's sweat is acidic and can react with strings/coatings like that. I use Martin Authentic Lifespan 80/20s and never get black strings.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-10-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

The 2.0 Lifespan (lights) sound at least as good, though a bit different (just can't say how) on my Martin GPCPA3. Haven't tried anything else lately on that guitar. I did like that gold-look on the [1.0] unwound strings, but haven't noticed any difference in tone or longevity.

I tried them on the Bourgeois OM and while they're good, I have to say I like the D'Addario EXP16 set, at least at first play I just put on. (I think I read that's what they ship on the guitars, or maybe the non-coated version.) The low E, particularly, seems to have just a little better ring, but, of course, I'm comparing a new set to the old at this point...

I'm pretty easy on strings but cheap (and lazy!) so like to minimize string changes. If I get similar usage out of the EXPs I'll probably stick with them, and my try a set on the Martin, though it's getting less play these days, so who knows when that will be. (And I still have a set of AA 2.0s to use up first.)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post
I care more about the tone and feel of strings over the look of them. I do agree that they seem to leave a bit of oxidation on my fingers compared to Elixir, but nothing like the popular D'addario EJ16 or Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze. I currently have the Martin MA540T on my carbon fiber guitar are some of the best coated/treated strings I've ever tried. I'm going on 3 months with no loss of tone or intonation. The feel is great, they are bolder and louder than Elixir and D'addario XT, are competitively priced. I love them but understand we all have our preferences.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion